Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 12:22 PM

4,213 posts, read 4,738,815 times

Advertisements

I moved in late April/early May and I think I just started to get a touch of being home sick. I think I'm starting to miss the southern food, the leaves turning colors in the fall, and possibly even my car

Anyways, any other transplants who moved here from Atlanta? What are some of the things you're into here that you've grown to love about Chicago?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2012, 05:04 PM

3,421 posts, read 5,216,932 times
As a Chicagoan who lives in Atlanta and wants to move back to Chicago, it would be fascinating to hear the perspective of an Atlantan who has moved to Chicago.

Being homesick is natural but Chicago is truly an awesome city with lots of interesting things and a lot more resources. I can't wait to hear the stories. :-)

Old 09-24-2012, 07:50 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,308,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
I moved in late April/early May and I think I just started to get a touch of being home sick. I think I'm starting to miss the southern food, the leaves turning colors in the fall, and possibly even my car

Anyways, any other transplants who moved here from Atlanta? What are some of the things you're into here that you've grown to love about Chicago?
Wha??

leaves change colors in the midwest also

Old 09-24-2012, 07:50 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,741,459 times
Well, I visited Atlanta 3 times and I just don't like the layout of the city. Plus it's a bit tougher there to use biking for transportation, and Atlanta is a bit hilly. I do love the fact that Waffle House is there, as Waffle House is one of my favorite restaurants. I wish they came to Chicago.

Old 09-24-2012, 08:07 PM

3,421 posts, read 5,216,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
Well, I visited Atlanta 3 times and I just don't like the layout of the city. Plus it's a bit tougher there to use biking for transportation, and Atlanta is a bit hilly. I do love the fact that Waffle House is there, as Waffle House is one of my favorite restaurants. I wish they came to Chicago.
Atlanta is defenitely for the car-dependent. I like Waffle House too but I don't know that I will miss when I leave since the food in Chicago is so great lol.

Old 09-25-2012, 07:57 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,900,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
Try the Walker Brother's Original Pancake House in the suburbs:

Walker Bros. The Original Pancake House

Walker Bros. Locations

I love the one in Wilmette because it was close to where I lived in Evanston.

In the city, try the Golden Nugget

Golden Nugget : About

Golden Nugget : Locations

Old 09-25-2012, 08:29 AM

5,976 posts, read 13,114,193 times
Quote:

I totally understand the southern food, but the fall colors?

I guess you moved to the very heart and core of Chicago to live the carless lifestyle?? Outside of the core, every drives, and you have awesome fall colors in the suburbs/outer city.

Just take metra out to the suburbs and go to a forest preserve. If I were to move from Atlanta to Chicago, I would probably miss the widespread "Buppy" culture.

Old 09-25-2012, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post

I totally understand the southern food, but the fall colors?

I guess you moved to the very heart and core of Chicago to live the carless lifestyle?? Outside of the core, every drives, and you have awesome fall colors in the suburbs/outer city.

Just take metra out to the suburbs and go to a forest preserve. If I were to move from Atlanta to Chicago, I would probably miss the widespread "Buppy" culture.

Yes, I live downtown on Michigan. I see building when I look outside my window. I like that, but I also miss looking out my window and seeing the leaves turning and falling everywhere.

Old 09-25-2012, 09:50 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,907,803 times
Quote:
Yes, I live downtown on Michigan. I see building when I look outside my window. I like that, but I also miss looking out my window and seeing the leaves turning and falling everywhere.
The midwest is very beautiful when it comes to leaves changing color. You aren't going to see it downtown just because there's not a forest of trees covering everything like 60% of the land in the midwest really is. In a month go to some neighborhoods that have a lot more trees. You'll see a lot more color. Get into the areas with way more trees and it will look more like this:
http://www.brainerd.com/falltours/im...nesota.jpg.jpg

On another note, which southern restaurants have you tried so far? Remember, many people in Chicago are descendants from the "Great Migration" from the south. You aren't going to find southern food as much in areas like where you are, Lakeview, Lincoln Park. There are a few places likes Heaven on Seven, Stanley's, and Wishbone in those neighborhoods, but you'd have to go further out. MacArthur's in Austin (Austin is not a good neighborhood, so I don't know how safe it is around the restaurant itself. I know the restaurant itself is in a decently nice place and it's Zagat rated), Three J's in South Shore (Southern/Caribbean), Big Jones in Andersonville (more cajun/New Orleans type of thing), BJ's in Auburn Greshma, etc.

Last edited by marothisu; 09-25-2012 at 10:18 PM..

Old 09-26-2012, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
Atlanta is defenitely for the car-dependent. I like Waffle House too but I don't know that I will miss when I leave since the food in Chicago is so great lol.
Ahhhh, Waffle House. The one place I will never miss LOL. Maybe cuz I associate it with being the last (sometimes only) resort for ailing many a drunken night out after partying during college years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago