U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2022, 05:28 AM

107 posts, read 126,280 times

Advertisements

I have actually had a strong opinion about Michael Jordan for many years, and I have been very curious about what people from/in Chicago actually think of him. Especially, people, who have met/interacted with him. So, I would be very interested in hearing from some actual Chicagoans and finding out what some of y'all think of Michael Jordan. And if you have personally met and interacted with him and you would like to share what he has been like, in a personal interaction with him, I would really be interested in hearing from you.

I won't share what my opinion about Michael Jordan is, just yet, as I don't want to encourage/discourage certain types of feelings or opinions to be shared. However, if this post gets some replies and good feedback, I will be glad to share what my thoughts on him are. I would really appreciate getting some replies to this post, so, if you feel like posting and sharing your thoughts about this Chicago sports icon, please, feel free to post a response.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2022, 06:43 AM

6,447 posts, read 5,416,736 times
Never met him, but everyone I know thinks of him positively. He was never over the top or controversial and always conducted himself in a professional manner. He's a Chicago sports legend.

Old 01-25-2022, 07:42 AM

3,566 posts, read 1,849,153 times
Not many can really form an opinion, as MJ has always chosen to remain fairly silent in many respects.
This, in itself; is an easy attribute to respect.
But man, what a horrible NBA owner.

Old 01-25-2022, 07:50 AM

12,758 posts, read 10,077,986 times
I worked at a Country Club he went to. The only difference between him and most other golfers was that he'd play 3 rounds in a day, you'd better bring your running shoes if you were his caddy. He tipped caddies well. He was a decent guy.

He's a human, and as such he has human shortcomings. However, on the court and throughout his professional career, he embodied a competitive ethos that was relentless without being unprincipled, and if not the GOAT he is close.

Old 01-25-2022, 09:30 AM

1,917 posts, read 2,253,784 times
Greatest basketball player I've ever seen.

Needs to be realistic about his home's value.

Old 01-25-2022, 10:37 AM

3,566 posts, read 1,849,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBideon View Post
Greatest basketball player I've ever seen.

Without question, and it was his D that gives him the crown; think I recall his leading league in steals.
But what I remember the most, in an era before social media; was his human side.
The tears he shed holding the trophy, when we all knew why; same reason he pursued an unsuccessful career with the White Sox.
Like Walter Payton, MJ united the city in a way I don't foresee Chicago ever experiencing again.

Old 01-25-2022, 11:05 AM

668 posts, read 917,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
He tipped caddies well. He was a decent guy.
I feel like I have heard mixed opinions on his tipping! Though nothing as terrible as Scottie Pippen's!

Old 01-25-2022, 11:21 AM

249 posts, read 132,011 times
Majority of people I know consider him the GOAT.

Old 01-25-2022, 11:28 AM

7,862 posts, read 4,172,804 times
I think I know what the OP is getting at, but you have to remember, MJ and his prime was in the 90's before 24/7 social media, and back then, people really only viewed athletes in the context of being athletes (nothing more, nothing less). So what [we] "really think about MJ" is likely going to be related to what he did for Chicago sports. In some regards, we were better as a society back then because we didn't try to break down everyone and didn't really need to know that much about others personally.

Now, I'm originally from the DC area, and read a detailed inside report about MJ's personality behind closed doors when he became owner of the Wizards, that would likely not paint him in the best of light. Also, the documentary "The Last Dance" hinted at some of this. But again, Chicagoans wouldn't think about him other than being a sports icon in Chicago. Michael was relatively quiet too, so a lot of the more negative/controversial things didn't really surface back then (due to the fact that we didn't have social media).

Had MJ been around in this era, we'd likely know a lot more about his life behind closed doors so Chicagoans might have different answers about what we "really think" about him.

Old 01-25-2022, 01:41 PM

3,376 posts, read 5,542,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aga412 View Post
I feel like I have heard mixed opinions on his tipping! Though nothing as terrible as Scottie Pippen's!
Who was referred to as "no tippin' Pippen."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago