Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2022, 11:14 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,876,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
Vibrancy problem? Lmfao

That's not a problem in Chicago AT ALL.

Safety and desirability?

Those are problems.
I wouldn't say that "desirability" is necessarily a direct problem. It may be indirectly because of safety concerns. Most people (at least on this site) always repeat the notion of wanting to move to Chicago but "unsure because of safety." In their heart of hearts, I think they know that like almost all big cities, if you are in one of the nice neighborhoods, you don't have much to worry about. Although, I can't discount their concerns because in the last 2 years, there has been more violent incidents and safety concerns in the "nice" neighborhoods, than I can remember. In the grand scheme of things, these are still relatively rare in the more desirable neighborhoods.

But I still think Chicago is thought of as "desirable" by most big-city enthusiasts. It's just that its reputation for violent crime has impacted it's desirability to a degree.

I would say that Safety (or more accurately "Violent Crime") is the root problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2022, 12:44 PM

663 posts, read 306,731 times
On the city vs city and General US forums. So many vs threads over months and years. Many who liked Chicago and commented it higher vs another city and liked.

So many would add. A but for its WINTERS, they could consider it as a choice. Even vs East coast cities.

The scourge and perception of Real Winters is another KEY factor against Chicago even more then crime IMO. Just opinion.

Chicago gives off positive vibes to visitors and comes off as clean and greener then many expect. Far more a exceeded expectations over not that some cities get, but DA WINTER is a bust to consider by many....

Old 04-11-2022, 06:45 AM

https://www.city-data.com/forum/city...2-onwards.html

Not exclusively tech, but Venture Capital

Old 04-28-2022, 09:20 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,786,030 times
Looks like FTX has opened their US headquarters in Chicago, no doubt because of the talent pool of C++ developers and HFT people that work at places like Citadel. Now Chicago has both FTX and Jump Crypto, with Citadel also moving into crypto soon. Interesting times ahead for sure.

A lot of people outside of tech don't realize how deep the talent is in Chicago trading/finance firms.

Old 04-29-2022, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
Looks like FTX has opened their US headquarters in Chicago, no doubt because of the talent pool of C++ developers and HFT people that work at places like Citadel. Now Chicago has both FTX and Jump Crypto, with Citadel also moving into crypto soon. Interesting times ahead for sure.

A lot of people outside of tech don't realize how deep the talent is in Chicago trading/finance firms.
True. This is what boosts Chicago up on a lot of the “global indices” rankings. It has one of the strongest finance, private equity, trading presences outside of NYC.

If it can boost its tech a little, it will set up the city well financially for the future.

Old 04-29-2022, 08:14 AM

12,843 posts, read 9,573,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greencheese View Post
The issue here is that Chicago is 3rd in population. It really shows that Chicago is LAUGHABLY underperforming vs other cities much smaller than itself. While other cities are climbing the rankings Chicago appears to be doing little more than slipping. Simply being a large city in itself is no longer the only requirement for success, maybe someday our leaders will acknowledge that.
Third largest city, third largest economy. Is it underperforming?

Old 04-29-2022, 09:42 AM

212 posts, read 230,978 times
I have to question the legitimacy of this article. Chicago should be ranked at least a little higher. Have we not all found articles that are unfairly biased against Chicago? Some folks have a deeply personal hate towards Chicago, and want to see it fail

Old 04-29-2022, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannFrankenstein View Post
I have to question the legitimacy of this article. Chicago should be ranked at least a little higher. Have we not all found articles that are unfairly biased against Chicago? Some folks have a deeply personal hate towards Chicago, and want to see it fail
I personally don’t question the validity, although all “lists” are subject to biases. However, if you look at any “tech list,” Chicago is rarely in the top tier for any of them. Unless they have all conspired against Chicago

But I think it is making some strides, and is actually higher up on one of the lists than I would have thought. This article in question uses objective metrics, and is not conspiring against Chicago. This is focused solely on “tech/innovation.” While Chicago has that in it’s portfolio, I think it’s fair to say that it’s not one of its top tier industries. That is what this thread is about.

Old 04-29-2022, 01:08 PM

34 posts, read 22,508 times
Chicago has the most diverse economy in the country, which is fantastic. Cities which rely to heavily on one industry like Seattle with tech and Houston with oil/gas are more turbulent.

Old 04-29-2022, 05:56 PM

212 posts, read 230,978 times
The article didn’t really specify how they were judging talent. Like, I think that’s very generous to be measuring such a left-brained field like tech in terms of talent. And there was no mention of something like Graphic Design, was there? Design is closely related to tech and Chicago has enough skilled, if not talented designers, that New City compiles a list of their 50 best designers each year. I knew a ton of impressive designers when I went to Columbia College, but alas, many of them moved and the school’s enrollment has been dropping. Maybe the article is right. I havn’t bothered visiting any of the links in the article, so maybe I should do that before I respond further
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago