Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2022, 09:30 AM

4,630 posts, read 3,242,892 times

Advertisements

Good morning, colleagues. I am wishing you all well.

In the last couple of weeks, I have read a couple of "looking for area recommendations / I am a (fill in the blank)" threads. And so it started me thinking on something.

And I am calling on you to help me out if I step out of line, as I am definitely a proponent to maintain an open mind, as well as to be polite to others.

When I read that someone is seeking advice on living recommendations as (of Chinese heritage, gay, etc.), it makes we wonder: Is it APPROPRIATE to advise someone on an area based on these criterion?

Does this not come off as a similarity to when people would try to sway African-American homeowners to stay in "Black" areas?

I do not deny that prejudice exists... And I did read one of the contributors mention that essentially, "you should be able to live wherever you want." And in an ideal world this would be true.

I mean: I am of Mexican descent and speak Spanish.... Would I be recommended South Lawndale because of this? I love Little Village. But I also love Edison Park which seems predominately Irish.

I am a heterosexual. Would I not feel welcome in Boystown?... I happen to like Boystown.

I get it, when people are indicating where there job is/ do they have a car/ etc. that THESE are factors, too.

But it seems like someone mentions Asian Indian, Chinese, gay, etc. that recommendations will be made on city neighborhoods, as well as suburbs, with THAT as a main factor.

And maybe I have TOTALLY misread these threads.

Nonetheless, feel free to point out my errors. And I wish you all a great day and week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2022, 09:36 AM

226 posts, read 132,683 times
Bro live where you want nobody cares. Yes Chicago is segregated, but the city is becoming more integrated everyday. Many neighborhoods are becoming melting pots. Not trying to be rude I'm just saying the main factors you should be looking at are safety, price, neighborhood amenities & transit. Schools too if you have kids.

Last edited by dtyfygiu; 02-07-2022 at 09:53 AM..

Old 02-07-2022, 09:45 AM

dtyfygiu, I have to agree. I am on board with a "live where you like" approach.

And for whatever reason, you end up NOT liking it, you CAN move (and easier if you're a renter, I can understand).

Old 02-07-2022, 01:06 PM

249 posts, read 181,874 times
I'm straight and I would live in Boystown if I could afford it. Some Mexicans prefer 26th st because of the restaurants and community. Some don't. Some Vietnamese prefer Argyle st for the same reason, some don't. To each their own.

Old 02-07-2022, 01:22 PM

Don Cuccino, and if it's still there in Boystown, I remember a place called Ceasar's with some good Mexican food and margaritas.

But I do agree with you the "To each their own" approach!!!

Old 02-07-2022, 02:19 PM

249 posts, read 181,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
Don Cuccino, and if it's still there in Boystown, I remember a place called Ceasar's with some good Mexican food and margaritas.

But I do agree with you the "To each their own" approach!!!
I like boystown, but the mexican restaurants in Little Village will destroy Caesars food and margaritas. Not even close.

Old 02-07-2022, 03:19 PM

Don Cuccino, 'tis true.

I was a fan of Lalos on 26th Street. I remember when there were 2 of them, there, in fact. I was sad to see them close.

Old 02-07-2022, 04:18 PM

2,191 posts, read 1,846,239 times
It's a story older than time, that people want to live around their own kind of people. While this isn't always true, it usually is, deep down.

So when someone comes onto a board like this, anonymously, they are even less afraid to admit it.

I do, however, understand, why a gay person might want to live in an area where they are some other gay people around. Or if a person primarily speaks a non-English language, why they might want to live in a spot where other people speak that language.

Old 02-07-2022, 07:27 PM

1,501 posts, read 1,768,506 times
Yes it is appropriate to suggest areas based on the provided criteria. I mean what else do you have to go on? The way I see it is they are mentioning those details for a reason. If not wouldn't they just leave them out?
My opinion is it's ok to suggest it and it's ok if they don't like it. The power of choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post

When I read that someone is seeking advice on living recommendations as (of Chinese heritage, gay, etc.), it makes we wonder: Is it APPROPRIATE to advise someone on an area based on these criterion?

But it seems like someone mentions Asian Indian, Chinese, gay, etc. that recommendations will be made on city neighborhoods, as well as suburbs, with THAT as a main factor.

Old 02-08-2022, 08:25 AM

Kmanshouse, good day!

You said "their own kind" and that makes me a sad, because I wish people could just live in peace with the "Human Kind" where it doesn't matter the skin color, religion, etc.

For example, I do not know the religion of ANY of my neighbors, except the man next door who flies the flag of Israel. But as a Catholic, if I found out all my neighbors were Jewish and Methodist (or whatever), I guess I wouldn't feel the need to move.

If I look at the faces of my neighbors, I could GUESS that there is a blend of very light color faces, very dark colored faces, and tan colored faces. The neighbors to the south and directly across from me are Puerto Rican.

Well, hopefully we can all do our best to get along....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago