Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 08:31 PM

575 posts, read 615,735 times

Advertisements

speaking of Ministry, I canot stop listening to their cover of Lay Lady Lay - brilliant

Ministry-Lay Lady Lay - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2012, 08:34 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,905,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
That's my point. LOOK at the high quality you have just presented- These people are the real deal- They are still legendary- they are still being listened to by young people with the advent of the net---I don't believe that Ottis Redding was from Chicago-- but- recently I was given a gift by one of the kids of most of Ottis tunes----------First listen I said--yah..interesting....THEN- I started to have a few solo parties- Just me and OTTIS.................BOY- so under-rated- brilliant musicians - what a gift...just moves you with real soul- real spirit...These greats will never be out shone.
Yep, it's good to all ages. It's hilarious too how all the "Good Feeling" songs are being remixed now from Something's Got a Hold On Me by Etta James.

Anyway, yeah there's a lot from Chicago that goes back then. I don't think I mentioned Benny Goodman either. Sam Cooke pretty much invented soul music though and that's allllll Chicago. Also, The Dells (Harvey on the South Side), Five Stairsteps, and Lavern Baker all from Chicago too. For some more rap, Do or Die as well. For some more metal you have Pelican as well. For 60s "garage rock" you have Shadows of Night too.

Also, Louis Armstrong's career and early development centered around him living in Chicago and he has some very important/famous recordings from Chicago.

If you look at everyone in the Rock n Roll HOF, there are currently 10 acts from Chicago (if you count Buddy Guy and Muddy Waters)... Once Chicago and Styx make it (should be soon), that number will go up even more.

Old 06-06-2012, 11:32 PM

196 posts, read 658,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-turtle View Post
Distrubed - Nu Metal band from the southside (although the singer is a jew from the northside)

Smashing Pumpkins come to mind

Mudvayne - Metal band from Peoria (not really Chicago).

There aren't a heck of a lot of bands that come out of the midwest in general. Other than Chicago and some other larger cities (Minneapolis, St. Louis, Detroit?) there isn't a heck of a lot of culture like they have on the over-populated coasts. That's an opinion but I think it also depends a lot on what TYPE of music you're into.

Being a fan of metal, right now many of the band I like happen to be out of the New England area, primarily Massachusetts. There's very few bands from the south, a good number out of California, and a handful out of the midwest.

When I was in high school and Grunge was the big thing at that time it seemed like all the bands I liked was from Seattle.

I think it's more genre specific, I'm sure Chicago has a lot of bands from the city, they just may not be of genres you listen to.
Minneapolis?

Prince, Bob Dylan

Detroit?

Are ya kidding me?

Motown, Stevie Wonder, Aretha Franklin, The Temptations, Marvin Gaye, Eminem, Aaliyah, Kid Rock, Madonna, Ted Nugent, etc. . .

Michael Jackson, Janet Jackson, and the Jackson 5 are from my hometown of Gary.

Chicago has R. Kelly, Smashing Pumpkins, Liz Phair, Ministry, Steve Albini, Urge Overkill, Kanye West, Common, Lupe Fiasco, Muddy Waters, etc. . . House was invented here, so was Gospel for chrissakes!

Old 06-06-2012, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake County IN View Post
Minneapolis?

Prince, Bob Dylan

Detroit?

Are ya kidding me?

Motown, Stevie Wonder, Aretha Franklin, The Temptations, Marvin Gaye, Eminem, Aaliyah, Kid Rock, Madonna, Ted Nugent, etc. . .

Michael Jackson, Janet Jackson, and the Jackson 5 are from my hometown of Gary.

Chicago has R. Kelly, Smashing Pumpkins, Liz Phair, Ministry, Steve Albini, Urge Overkill, Kanye West, Common, Lupe Fiasco, Muddy Waters, etc. . . House was invented here, so was Gospel for chrissakes!
Yeah and Sam Cooke is from Chicago who pretty much "invented" soul. Curtis Mayfield is a product of Cabrini Green. Not mentioning Styx and Chicago either, and many others.

Old 06-07-2012, 08:15 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,875,838 times
Has anyone mentioned that little thing called HOUSE MUSIC yet?

Chicago's musicians and live music scene (and I am including any place people are dancing and there's a real DJ) actually influences music all over the world, that's far more important & noteworthy than being known for some struck-it-rich band that moved here and met the right people and got lucky.

One has to do with being made by the music industry - the other is actually moving and shaping music in the bigger picture.

It's kind of like the whole debate of what makes a band great, many folks judge that by how many people are covering your songs, it's the ultimate flattery.

Old 06-07-2012, 08:35 AM

2,186 posts, read 2,918,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake County IN View Post
Minneapolis?

Prince, Bob Dylan
Husker Du, Replacements, Jayhawks, Soul Asylum...

Dylan is from Hibbing, way up in Northern Minnesota. He only stopped off at Minneapolis for a few failed months of college before heading to New York, I believe.

Notice that the poster you were replying to lists Minneapolis as one of the places in the Midwest that bands come from. S/he wasn't saying bands don't come from there.

Old 06-07-2012, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
YNot mentioning Styx and Chicago either, and many others.
Styx, Chicago, REO, Cheap Trick...Illinois was practically the global capital of cheese rock there for a few years.

Old 06-07-2012, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plzeň View Post
Styx, Chicago, REO, Cheap Trick...Illinois was practically the global capital of cheese rock there for a few years.
Ha yes..REO is my least favorite followed by Chicago, although both had good songs like 26 or 6 to 4 by Chicago and Riding the Storm Out by REO.

I think Chicago needs another music revolution ;-)

Old 06-07-2012, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I think Chicago needs another music revolution ;-)
It might be because I'm getting old and out of touch, but has there even been a really big rock band to break out of Chicago since Smashing Pumpkins?

Some might say Wilco, but they're from the St. Louis metro and relocated to Chicago, and even that was over 15 years ago.

Every major act I can think of out of Chicago in recent years has been hip-hop.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plzeň View Post
It might be because I'm getting old and out of touch, but has there even been a really big rock band to break out of Chicago since Smashing Pumpkins?

Some might say Wilco, but they're from the St. Louis metro and relocated to Chicago, and even that was over 15 years ago.

Every major act I can think of out of Chicago in recent years has been hip-hop.
Yeah, hip-hop seems to be the "next" thing from Chicago that's going to get bigger. It's always existed here of course, but only a few guys/groups were well known.

I do love when these things happen though. I wasn't part of it, but I can only imagine being part of the whole Seattle thing starting in the mid 80s (Green River) until the early to mid 90s....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago