Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 01:59 PM

14 posts, read 28,281 times

Advertisements

We are moving to Chicago this August. In looking for some rental homes, I have found a couple on lettered streets.....like 115th and Avenue O. (for reasonable prices per month) Does anyone know where these lettered streets are and what the neighborhood is like? I have been trying to find the name of the neighborhood so I can research some info online.

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2008, 02:27 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,944,069 times
Its the far southeast side near Indiana. I think the neighborhood is Hegewisch. Blue collar neighborhood. A bit isolated from the rest of the city.

Old 05-24-2008, 05:07 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,312,310 times
That neighborhood is called "East Side". Hegewisch is actually the next neighborhood to the south (vicinity of 130th Street).

East Side, Chicago

Old 05-24-2008, 06:50 PM

17,358 posts, read 14,613,136 times
The post above is correct.

The East Side is bordered by 95th Street to the North, Calumet River to the west and Wolf Lake and the defunct LTV steel plant to the south. And of course, Indiana & the lake to the northeast & east.

Hegewish is actually the isolated one - it's also completely surrounded by railroad tracks too.

The last I heard, things were getting sketchier north of 106th Street.

Old 05-24-2008, 08:27 PM

Does anyone know if public transportation is easy to use from this area of the city? Also, if the red line could be reached by bus from this area, is it safe to ride from the 95th street station into the loop?

Old 05-25-2008, 05:23 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Things may indeed be getting sketchier north of 106th street... but it bears mentioning that 115th street is a universe away by Chicago standards.

I actually drove around both East Side and Hegewisch about 3 days ago for the hell of it. The particular portion of East Side you're inquiring about looks to be holding up quite well, both aesthetically (nicely manicured lawns fronting modest homes well-kempt by their generally working-class owners) and socially (I've recently looked into the crime stats of the neighborhood and they're pretty mild) and I would have absolutely no qualms about living there as a short-term renter. But understand that negative social forces from not-far-away are putting some pressure on this neighborhood and its long-term fortunes are uncertain. So... rent here, yes. Buy here, maybe. If you're just looking to rent for a few years, you're golden.

As others have intimated, this is NOT a sexy, style-conscious, or nightlife-type neighborhood. It is strictly a quiet, family-oriented, blue-collar bedroom community with little patience for deviations from the quiet, family-oriented model. If you like to party and live it up, move elsewhere. If you drink Pellegrino and drive a BMW and you're proud of it, move elsewhere. If you want to be anywhere NEAR decent dining, entertainment and nightlife options, move elsewhere. If you just want a place to relax after a hard day's work in relative peace and without any pretension whatsoever, this is your place.

Finally, if you want to get to the Loop, don't bother with the Red Line, because frankly, the 95th Street stop is in a crap-ass neighborhood and it's a PITA to get to from Eastside. Instead, drive down to the Hegewisch station of the South Shore train line, park in the Park and Ride lot there, and ride the train up to the Loop.

Old 05-25-2008, 02:37 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,179,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
frankly, the 95th Street stop is in a crap-ass neighborhood
That there is what we call a matter of opinion.

Old 05-25-2008, 05:19 PM

A peaceful and somewhat quiet neighborhood is what I am looking for....with the option of using public transportation to reach other areas of the city. On visits to Chicago, we have used the CTA....so I have no experience with the South Shore trains and how they work (ie, the cost, can you transfer to CTA trains, etc.) I have no issue figuring out how to get to the 95th stop on the red line, but of course do not want to use it if it is unsafe, etc.

Thanks for the info on the East Side....I definitely will be checking into it next week when I am there. Would you suggest the East Side over Hegewisch, South Chicago, and South Shore neighborhoods? (Are they worth my time exploring?)

Old 05-25-2008, 05:44 PM

863 posts, read 2,784,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michteacher76 View Post
I have no issue figuring out how to get to the 95th stop on the red line, but of course do not want to use it if it is unsafe, etc.
Thousands and thousands of people go through that terminal every day with no incident.

Old 05-25-2008, 05:55 PM

17,358 posts, read 14,613,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michteacher76 View Post
A peaceful and somewhat quiet neighborhood is what I am looking for....with the option of using public transportation to reach other areas of the city. On visits to Chicago, we have used the CTA....so I have no experience with the South Shore trains and how they work (ie, the cost, can you transfer to CTA trains, etc.) I have no issue figuring out how to get to the 95th stop on the red line, but of course do not want to use it if it is unsafe, etc.

Thanks for the info on the East Side....I definitely will be checking into it next week when I am there. Would you suggest the East Side over Hegewisch, South Chicago, and South Shore neighborhoods? (Are they worth my time exploring?)
Over the four that you've mentioned, Hegewisch is the most peaceful & quiet. Depending on where you rent in Hegewisch, you could walk to the South Shore - which will get you downtown. From the Loop you obviously have a wide variety of options to get to different parts of the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago