U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 03:37 PM

2,467 posts, read 11,772,580 times

Advertisements

OK, as a Chicagoan who has generally stayed South of Montrose (Closest being 4200 block of north broadway), I am thinking of buying around Margate Park (Lawrence and Marine Drive-ish on one of the small side streets). My reasoning is that we have dogs, so being near the dog park is nice (that is the best one IMHO), easy access to lake, it's pretty cheap so could be a good investment, and still close to both express buses/red line. I know that the area north of Montrose until Andersonville can be a bit shady, but in looking around, this area seems OK (it would be east of sheridan). The exact area is from about Lawrence to Argyle east of Sheridan (no highrises though)

Uncensored opinions or things I may not have thought of? I will be living with my boyfriend and at least 1 dog and the apartments are in 3 flats, but the lowest one is on the 2nd floor. I do, however, sometimes work late (there is not gated parking with the unit)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2008, 04:27 PM

15,587 posts, read 25,329,238 times
I would advise against it. Even if it is ok on the block or two around the building, many unsavory people are around there that come in from surrounding areas. I do not think it would be too fun to be surrounded by questionable streets.

If you can find something within your price range south of Montrose I would go with that.

Of course, if you feel comfortable with that area after you go check it out then go for it. It is your call. I will not try to dissuade you. I am just stating my opinion.

Old 05-27-2008, 07:05 PM

Thanks Avengerfire!

What do the rest of you think?

Old 05-29-2008, 05:25 PM

11,973 posts, read 29,704,380 times
Margate Park is actually really nice, and it kinds of blends into Edgewater. I've known a few people who have lived there over the years, and they've all liked it.

There are a few buildings on Sheridan that kind of make life interesting after dark, however. There's a high-rise nursing home for people with mental problems near Argyle and Sheridan (called the Sommerset Home or something like that). If you ever go to Tweet for brunch or Rique's Regional Mexican (both recommended), you can see the almost homeless mentally ill patients of this place wandering the streets, trading medication, etc. Like many social services in Uptown, it's a really badly run place and a scourge on the community.

I'd say Sheridan and Lawrence can be a bit hairy too, even though Lawrence is rapidly improving to the west of there. So if you plan to use the Lawrence Red Line station, you may want to take cabs after dark. Argyle can get hairy near Winthrop and Kenmore. Express buses are another great option at that location, and are almost always full of commuters.

I personally wouldn't be too scared of Margate Park, but you will want to walk your block during the day and at night before making a decision. It's one of the nicer parts of Uptown, but is just a very small pocket.

Old 05-29-2008, 08:25 PM

15,587 posts, read 25,329,238 times
Sheridan Road from Montrose to Foster is pretty hairy. I drive over there in the daytime all the time and it is an eye opener even when the sun is out. If Michigan Ave from the river to Oak is the Magnificent Mile, Sheridan Road from Montrose to Foster is the Crapnificent Mile.

N. Sheridan Road in that area has been known as skid row for decades.

Old 05-29-2008, 08:34 PM

Thanks guys. I'm not concerned in terms of the mentally ill since I'm used to working with them (even very much untreated), however, I am extremely concerned about gang activity in the area. Thanks again for the advice.

We are expanding our search a bit, but money is our big concern :-)

Old 05-29-2008, 11:38 PM

The gang activity in that area seems to be more to the south between Lawrence and Montrose. Wilson and Broadway gets a bad rap with good reason, but I actually think Sheridan is worse than Broadway. There are also some rougher pockets just west of Margate Park before the Andersonville gentrification starts, particularly along Winthrop and Kenmore. I do see more condos going in there now, however. And it's not as inundated with shelters, rehab clinics, and halfway houses as central Uptown.

Old 05-29-2008, 11:56 PM

13 posts, read 62,525 times
at least in uptown you know who is crazy. the neighborhood is great, it's close to various activities and the neighborhood is not completely rich and white (actually diverse), which is almost all parts of the north side. it just gets frustrating how segregated and classist chicago is compared to cities like nyc or sf. no one in uptown has ever messed with me; if anything the people in uptown have been kind. in addition, most social activity happens within circles, so your chances of getting harassed and messed with is really slim.

peace,
will

Old 05-30-2008, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Sheridan Road from Montrose to Foster is pretty hairy. I drive over there in the daytime all the time and it is an eye opener even when the sun is out. If Michigan Ave from the river to Oak is the Magnificent Mile, Sheridan Road from Montrose to Foster is the Crapnificent Mile.

N. Sheridan Road in that area has been known as skid row for decades.
Take away that Sommerset home and one or two problem buildings, and the stretch from Lawrence to Foster would be much better. I don't think that's going to happen any time soon, however.

My wife and I seriously looked at Margate Park back in 2005 as a place to live, but felt it was too small of a nice pocket. We chose southeastern Buena Park instead (and paid about $50K more for the condo), and are very happy with our decision. If I'm going to be on the edge of Uptown, I'd rather be on the edge of Lakeview than the edge of Edgewater...

Old 05-30-2008, 07:51 PM

1,325 posts, read 3,921,755 times
Default Chicago Gang Maps

This is a link directly to the map sections of chicagogangs. You can move down to find the interactive northside map:[ CHICAGOGANGS.ORG] CHICAGO GANG MAPS

It's a fascinating site and you can actually read info about many of the gangs and some have pics, history, etc.

You indicated your concern was with gangs so the map may be helpful.

Looks like the following may be of interest to you (not in Margate Park, but kinda close):
Conservative Vice Lords (Wilson to Montrose and Clarnendon to Broadway)

Latin Kings (Berwyn to Argyle and Broadway to Sheridan)

Black P Stone (small pocket - Argyle and Kenmore area it appears)

Gangsta Disciples (Sheridan Rd - Leland to Lawrence)

Last edited by soulful; 05-30-2008 at 08:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago