Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 12:58 AM

55 posts, read 209,380 times

Advertisements

If you google, Wilmette Hale DeMar, you can find a real life story about a man who successfully defended his children from a Shaq-sized intruder with a handgun (.38 Smith), even though the town had the ban.

Self-Defense vs.Municipal Gun Bans

When Hale DeMar shot an intruder in his house, he may well have saved his children's lives. So why was he charged with a crime?
Quote:

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/ar...TICLE_ID=36995

But DeMar blasted local officials in a letter published by the Chicago Sun-Times: "Until you are shocked by a piercing alarm in the middle of the night and met in your kitchen by a masked invader as your children shudder in their beds, until you confront that very real nightmare, please don't suggest that some village trustee knows better and he/she can effectively task the police to protect your family from the miscreants that this society has produced."
If you really feel the need for safety, I'd personally take protecting my family over getting charged and paying a fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2008, 03:57 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
If it makes you feel any better, DeMar's case inspired the passage of a "look the other way" law where a person who uses a firearm to thwart an invasion of their own home cannot be charged with violating municipal ordinance against possessing that particular firearm. (NOTE: if you were banned from possessing the weapon due to state law, such as a parole condition or prior felony conviction, you could still be held accountable to the state law).

The fact is most municpal police departments (especially CPD) and prosecutor's offices were already looking the other way anyway. What was already "the law on the streets" was simply made a law on the books so that idiotic irrational tightwad municipalities like Wilmette would be forced to get with the program.

Old 08-19-2008, 01:29 PM

2,686 posts, read 7,870,272 times
Default Drover

Should I just go out and buy a handgun legally in DuPage as my FOID card is issued there and my licenses are issued there along with property I own? Then I can have a handgun in my plqace for when someone breaks in. I would not do this in my current living arrangement with small children in my building. If I were to buy a single family or condo in the city I would look into this.

Based upon what Drover has said if I use the handgun in self defense I would not be prosecuted.

Or should I just wait unti the handgunis overturned? I don't really want to pay the registration fee as some do for long guns now.

Old 08-19-2008, 01:45 PM

88 posts, read 357,638 times
WAIT! So you are saying that you can't own a gun in Chicago for self-protection (assuming you didn't file before this 1982 date)? Is that right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
You cannot own a handgun in Chicago unless you are law enforcement or possessed and had it registered before the law took in effect in around 1982. If they catch you, charges will be brought against you. If you use it for your own protection and shoot at someone they can charge you also.

You also need to get a Illinois FOID card if you want to buy ammo.

I dont agree with the handgun law myself.

Old 08-19-2008, 04:16 PM

2,686 posts, read 7,870,272 times
Default Handguns only are outlawed

Brine,

You can legally own a long gun, rifle or shotgun so long as it is at least 18.5 inches long in Chicago. Handguns are not allowed unless you work in the security industry or for the police or government.

I don't agree with the handgun ban as it doesn't seem to deter the criminals for getting guns to rob innocent civilians who are less able to protect themselves.

Old 05-23-2009, 12:54 AM

1 posts, read 1,900 times
Default Shotguns in Chicago

Can one own a shotgun in the city of Chicago legally? (My google search was unfruitful). Links appreciated.

Old 05-23-2009, 01:01 AM

15,586 posts, read 27,606,786 times
Yes you can. Search this forum for guns and you will see the discussion.

Old 05-23-2009, 07:50 AM

445 posts, read 1,344,158 times
Yes.
There are some "assault weapons ban" type cosmetic requirements for autoloaders, but the short of it is, yes.

Old 05-23-2009, 12:43 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,786,761 times
The assault weapons ban basically bans semi-automatic weapons that look cool.

Old 05-24-2009, 08:41 AM

445 posts, read 1,344,158 times
Yeah and even though it expired, the city still has remnants of it on the books at the city level
A pistol grip isn't nearly as "mean" as politicians seem to think it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago