Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 09:21 AM

28,455 posts, read 84,957,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiegirl_98 View Post
Not that I would recommend this, but there is parking available at a discount for LUC students.

Here are the discounted rates:

Loyola University Chicago- Water Tower Campus

It will add up, but I always used the Bloomingdales parking discount, which is $6 for LUC students. It isn't a good option for every day, but maybe once in awhile.
Those discounts are substantial and have been in place a loooong time -- as I said I figured that LU still had deals for night school student for about $6-$9 as they did way back in the 80's when I took classes there...

Hard to beat for time savings, but given fuel prices and the Skyway tolls it is still not cheap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2008, 12:16 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,737,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
Actually, the East Side borders Whiting.

Which leads me to suggest Whiting as a place to look for housing.
Nope, Hammond is between East Side and Whiting. Not a lot of housing in Whiting anyway (pop. 4800). If you can find housing there, great. But probably not worth looking at specifically.

Old 05-28-2008, 12:50 PM

17 posts, read 102,211 times
Default Commute - chicago - Loyola Univ. - Water Tower

Thanks for the responses so far...

Does anyone have a specific route & time frame to go to Loyola U./Water tower campus from hammond, in. Also, I am not interested in taking the bus or the South Shore. I would go to school at purdue cal. or IUN but Loyola is the only school that has the program that I want.

Anyway, I need to be in chicago (specfically at Loyola) with in an 1 hour or so if possible.

I'm starting to feel down about this whole thing... is it really doable!

Old 05-28-2008, 12:58 PM

16,915 posts, read 14,252,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Nope, Hammond is between East Side and Whiting. Not a lot of housing in Whiting anyway (pop. 4800). If you can find housing there, great. But probably not worth looking at specifically.
Okay, Robertsdale separates the East Side from Whiting.

Technically Hammond I guess ... but ask anyone from Robertsdale to list their city and they'll sale Whiting 99% of the time.

I grew up right there and didn't even realize it was Hammond until I was WAY into adulthood.

Old 05-28-2008, 03:43 PM

Default The drive is FAST, but expensive...

Quote:
Originally Posted by missteacherlady View Post

Does anyone have a specific route & time frame to go to Loyola U./Water tower campus from hammond, in. Also, I am not interested in taking the bus or the South Shore. I would go to school at purdue cal. or IUN but Loyola is the only school that has the program that I want.

Anyway, I need to be in chicago (specfically at Loyola) with in an 1 hour or so if possible.

Should be considerably less than an hour:
from:E Waltham St @41.605910, -87.516190 to:41.662653,-87.523956 to:835 N Michigan Ave # 987, Chicago, IL 60611 (Water Tower Place) - Google Maps

I have done a very similar route in about 35 minutes, it is about 25 miles, and the Skyway generally has open roads. Even though there is no discount for IPass it beats keeping rolls or quarters in the car...

Old 05-28-2008, 08:14 PM

15,585 posts, read 27,438,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missteacherlady View Post

Just wait until it is winter again: That within an hour will not be happening.

Old 05-31-2008, 11:33 AM

If it snowing at rush hour that would crush up some streets, but the skyway is VERY resilient and so is south lake shore dr -- if it is really bad I am sure the teacher won't have class...

Old 05-31-2008, 09:47 PM

11,973 posts, read 31,635,920 times
It looks like you may be driving. Take the Skyway to Stoney Island, then get on Lakeshore Drive in Hyde Park. Just to warn you, Stoney Island is one of those lock your car doors kinds of streets.

Parking near Loyola will be killer in terms of cost--even with that discount. Is there a Red Line Park-n-Ride anywhere on the South Side that isn't totally scary? I've taken the Red Line to 95th several times, and wouldn't want to do it at night--especially if I were a woman traveling alone on a regular basis.

This may sound a bit unethical, but my wife used to park at Holy Name Cathedral during their masses. She'd go in, cross herself with some holy water, say a prayer or two, and then head to the library at Loyola. I think they may have cracked down on this since then, however...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago