Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 12:41 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,751,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnake View Post
whats that supposed to mean?

See, your attitude is so bad you're unaware of it. I'm talking about your petulant reply to Chet.

"a pub! an irish pub ya know? so no shops or restaurants will employ someone for three months? sheeesh"

That. Were I your boss and you cracked like that to me you'd be down the tracks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2008, 01:50 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
I don't really think it's our job to judge what the Op may or may not have meant.

I'm an incredibly sarcastic person and sometimes that doesn't come across correctly in type.

And besides, Chet was wrong in much of what he said anyway. Many many people come here and find gainful summer employment.

Old 05-29-2008, 02:26 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,370,617 times
I never said you CAN'T find any summer jobs. I specifically do think that as long there are no legal impediments for an employer at a tourist oriented place to hire a summer worker that would be a better bet.

I did ask, "what's a pub" for several reasons. #1 is that in my experience pubs in the UK have a wide range of incarnations, from places that you might mistake for a Pot Belly Sandwich shop, to what would charitably be charaterized as "old man tap rooms" to places more in line with the rowdier sports bars along 111th in Merrionette Park... No sane bar owner is going to hire a 19 year old in anything that would jeopardize their ability to hold a liquor license, many towns have specific exclusions against anyone under 21, many insurance companies will not write policies for any bar that does not agree to limit such employees.

#2 There are a little boom in "gastro pubs" and again there is the problem of age, but also skills -- they want people interested in a CAREER in the restaurant business and with the HUGE boom in cooking schools there are plenty of people that would love to 'intern' in such a place.

#3 There is a question of technical status/national origin. Though the OP did not claim to be from overseas, "pub" is a more common term overseas than here -- we've been over the problem of legal work and visa in other threads. There is no shortage of labor as many posters have complained about just how challenging the labor market is. While the OP is welcome to come here it is quite possible that he/she will encounter the same sort of conditions that have caused other posters to proclaim just how miserably difficult it is for even college educating resident of the region to find any kind of work at all despite going nearly insane trying...

#4 The OP did not say "what is the best odds to get a decent paying job for 3 months in Chicago" they said "I'm 19, will a pub hire me" -- in addition to asking 'what is pub" I should have asked "have you worked in a pub? where? in what capacity?" because I have know kids in bands that have played coffee houses and sandwich shops in the greater midwest but they have been unable to get gigs playing in even mellow music oriented "Irish Pubs" in Chicago and the 'burbs becuase of issues with insurance and/or liquor licenses...

Old 05-29-2008, 02:49 PM

40 posts, read 108,920 times
yeah i meant an irish pub/ tavern where drink is sold. im from ireland so thats what we call them here sorry if i didnt make it clear.and irishtom29 you dont know me so you can judge me all you want on the one sentence you have read but i wont loose any sleep on it. thanks chet for your info

Old 05-29-2008, 03:13 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
Good luck in everything you do, ask us any questions if you've got them and keep us informed!

Old 05-29-2008, 06:40 PM

1,325 posts, read 4,197,646 times
SolidSnake. The law regarding who can serve alcohol is dictated not only by state laws but also by each individual city/town. If you go to the 4th bullet point under "liquor" in the following link, you will note that in the City of Chicago you must be 21 in most cases: City of Chicago - Restaurant Resource Center FAQs

The State of Illinois only requires that you be age 18. However, the City of Chicago has more restrictive rules.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago