Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2022, 10:40 AM

7,138 posts, read 4,546,769 times

Advertisements

Grew up a hour from Chicago and winters used to be much colder with more snow. My sister lives in Chicago and has noted how much milder they are now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2022, 11:35 AM

3,208 posts, read 3,555,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Grew up a hour from Chicago and winters used to be much colder with more snow. My sister lives in Chicago and has noted how much milder they are now.
There is actually no evidence that Chicago has been receiving less snow. 2007-2008 and 2013-2014 had among the highest seasonal snowfall totals on record. Both seasons were in the top ten since records began.

Weather.gov Chicago Snowfall

As far as temperature, "Since 1970, Chicago's winters have warmed an average of 3.2F". Even so, Chicago has experienced many recent deep freezes, including today. As of noontime today, the temperature here is -5F. When I woke up this morning, it was -11F.

Old 12-23-2022, 02:09 PM

107 posts, read 51,337 times
Snow in the city just sucks. This goes for any city cold enough to see snow. The road salt and sand quickly turns it into dirty slush. Even people who love snow don't like that mess.

Old 12-24-2022, 05:59 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,117,756 times
I agree, just spend top dollar on socks, thermals and a great buff and coat and you'll never be cold. As someone who ski's in negitive temps it's all about buying the right gear. A good base layer and upper and a down coat and you'll be able to walk anywhere in the city. The people that complain about being too cold don't know how to dress for it or they're too lazy. Buy winter tires, put a little weight in the back of your car or truck, by some *** trax.

For some reason it blacked out the word Y_A_K

Pro tip: Also look at hunting, skiing gear or snowmobling gear as their stuff is built for the cold just don't go to a big box store and think you are getting top of the line gear.

Old 12-25-2022, 12:05 AM

94 posts, read 104,756 times
Who still thinks "not that bad" this year? I guess for me it's nice to be some where you can just go outside even looking pretty with out having to have three layers of this or that, 15lbs jacket, boots, figure out how you need to tie your scarf around your face, ect, ect. Sucky and annoying. We don't have to go through life like that, there's other options.

Old 12-25-2022, 05:15 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,878,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
I agree, just spend top dollar on socks, thermals and a great buff and coat and you'll never be cold. As someone who ski's in negitive temps it's all about buying the right gear. A good base layer and upper and a down coat and you'll be able to walk anywhere in the city. The people that complain about being too cold don't know how to dress for it or they're too lazy. Buy winter tires, put a little weight in the back of your car or truck, by some *** trax.

For some reason it blacked out the word Y_A_K

Pro tip: Also look at hunting, skiing gear or snowmobling gear as their stuff is built for the cold just don't go to a big box store and think you are getting top of the line gear.
You’re missing the point of the thread. If you’ve got to do all that to be prepared for the winter, then by most standards Chicago’s winters wouldn’t be best described as “not that bad.”

There are certainly parts of the country that are worse, but by most of the country’s frame of reference, they would describe Chicago’s winters as bad. Yes, you can get a bunch of warm clothes and do other things and it will be fine, but you shouldn’t need to do all that in a place if the winters “aren’t that bad” IMO.

Old 12-25-2022, 06:58 AM

2,082 posts, read 1,129,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
You’re missing the point of the thread. If you’ve got to do all that to be prepared for the winter, then by most standards Chicago’s winters wouldn’t be best described as “not that bad.”

There are certainly parts of the country that are worse, but by most of the country’s frame of reference, they would describe Chicago’s winters as bad. Yes, you can get a bunch of warm clothes and do other things and it will be fine, but you shouldn’t need to do all that in a place if the winters “aren’t that bad” IMO.

Well, if people just stopped treating potent winter weather like it’s a disease, there wouldn’t be pushback by the ones who can deal with it, and tell it like it is. I love Spring, Summer and Fall weather, but I don’t detest winter. I get enough of it when March comes around and another wallop makes it seem endless, lol.

I agree with Milwaukee City, I think that people should deal with winter by getting good gear, and making the most of winter fun, because it’s not all doom and gloom. I mean, I go out on long walks with my by poodle, and she can't get enough of it. She'd be out hours in the snow chasing her ball before quitting from exhaustion.

Old 12-25-2022, 07:58 AM

7,263 posts, read 5,143,446 times
A couple points--

Old outdoorsmens' saying- "There's no such thing as bad weather, only the wrong clothes."

There's a major ~60yr cycle in weather- The last 30 yrs have been on the warming side of the curve. Brace yourself for the next 30 yrs on the cooling side.....The Great Blizzard of '67 and The Winter of '78/79 that finally beat the Democrat Machine and got a (relative) outsider elected mayor were on that cooling side of the previous cycle....I lived on Marine Dr that yr. They were carting snow from the streets and dumping it on the huge, open lawn of north Lincoln Park. They piled it 30 ft high covering ~5 ac. It didn't all melt away until late May.

As others have mentioned, everything is relative. When I lived in Chicagoland, we had friends from Int'l Falls who "went south for the winter" to Chicago...Chicago only gets 1 or 2 sub-zero days a year. I retired to WI where we get 1 or 2 straight weeks of sub-zero weather and several other isolatied days like that each winter.

"Lake Effect" is usually meant to explain high snowfall totals on the leeward side of the Great Lakes (air picks up moisture over the lakes). Chicago is on the windward side....The only lake effect Chicago gets is the milder temps from the relatively warm lake water. Those living 40mi+ west of Chicago get significantly colder temps on any given day than in the city. How many times did John Coleman say "It'll be 10deg in the 'burbs tonight...Warmer near the lake"?

Old 12-26-2022, 12:17 AM

685 posts, read 768,432 times
On a national level, I think Chicago's winters are portrayed as worse than they really are. The Windy City moniker doesn't help either.

Chicago has real winters, but amongst the other Great Lakes cities, I'd argue it is one of the mildest.

Old 12-26-2022, 07:56 AM

2,625 posts, read 1,223,922 times
Quote:
Unpopular opinion: Chicago winters aren't THAT bad
Compared to Alaska, Greenland, and Antarctica?

Yes.

Compared to just about everywhere in the United States (except for Minnesota, the Dakotas/Wyoming/Montana, and maybe Buffalo NY)?

No. It's pretty bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago