Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2022, 07:32 PM

63 posts, read 34,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
100K for a unit in Uptown? It's a studio I have to assume... or are there still that good of deals floating around? I own a studio I paid $146k for in Lakeview East which is really close, so I am just curious.
It’s a one bedroom! About 900 square feet. It needed a ton of work (still does). You gotta go for those apartments that somebody’s been in for like 30 years and are super dated if you want a deal in my experience.

Old 12-21-2022, 07:42 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,860,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UptownGuy3 View Post
It’s a one bedroom! About 900 square feet. It needed a ton of work (still does). You gotta go for those apartments that somebody’s been in for like 30 years and are super dated if you want a deal in my experience.
For something that is 900 sq ft, even if it’s old and outdated, you can gut it for pretty cheap. Putting in new laminate flooring, stainless steel appliances, new shower, paint job, and adding modern fixtures and finishes shouldn’t be too bad if your only dealing with 900ft. So if you got a really nice deal, you can do a lot with it.

Old 12-22-2022, 07:37 AM

5,069 posts, read 2,176,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
This doesn’t hold much water anymore. Downtown and the North Side are no longer the safe havens that are isolated from crime. Since 2020 things have changed a lot. It’s not just the South Side. Lots of violent crime has entered the “safe north side.”

That said, most people with street smarts won’t end up being victims. But I would not say violent crime is strictly a “south side” issue anymore.
Very true. That lady that was robbed in Lincoln Park in broad daylight was just on the national news talking about that. She also mentioned how people here need to vote better lmao good luck lady not in this town!

When the world is not talking about the violence of chiraq, they are talking about how dumb the voters in here are. Guess those are the two claims to fame we have.

Old 12-22-2022, 02:02 PM

424 posts, read 465,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert9 View Post
Very true. That lady that was robbed in Lincoln Park in broad daylight was just on the national news talking about that. She also mentioned how people here need to vote better lmao good luck lady not in this town!

When the world is not talking about the violence of chiraq, they are talking about how dumb the voters in here are. Guess those are the two claims to fame we have.
^ I am a Chicago resident and when I see so much hate for Chicago on forums I just assume it is coming from a former resident of the Chicagoland area who was likely born before 1970, only cares about low taxes/small government, and now lives in Florida.

Conservatives just love to hate on Chicago because it is one of the largest cities on the forefront of the ongoing culture wars. <sighhhhh>

But to answer the OP's question, I am transplant from Southern California and I firmly believe Chicago is one of the most beautiful and best organized cities in the US.

Mod cut: copyrighted image.

Source: https://www.choosechicago.com/articl...-golf-courses/

Mod cut: copyrighted image.

Source: https://www.choosechicago.com/blog/f...kefront-trail/

^ Chicago has something most cities in the US do not have - a waterfront set aside almost entirely as a public park. If you look at any aerial photos of satellite images of the city you will see a long ribbon of green from the far north side to the far south side.

Mod cut: Copyrighted image.

Source: https://www.goodgoodgood.co/articles...-tree-planting

^ Chicago has alleys cutting down nearly every block - providing garage access from the backside of residential and commercial lots. This has spared the street facing side of most homes from having to accommodate an unsightly garage door and permits more attractive streetscape.

Source: https://www.hotels.com/go/usa/chicago

Source: https://luxurychicagocondos.com/reso...-neighborhood/

Source: https://www.archpaper.com/2020/01/ch...-line-yellows/

^ Another attractive aspect is the mixed land use you encounter on almost every city block in Chicago. A single block might have single family homes, two-flats, a residential high-rise, and/or a mixed-use commercial building. It is so much more attractive than the single use superblocks and subdivisions you find suburbs and most sun-belt cities.

Source: https://image1.apartmentfinder.com/i...rial-photo.jpg

^Lastly, Chicago has a fantastic downtown, the 2nd largest in the country only behind midtown Manhattan in size. The city center is filled with public spaces like Grant Park, the lakefront, museum campus, the Chicago river walk, Michigan Avenue, etc to people watch, shop, attend festivals and parades. And it is connected to the rest of the city and wider metropolitan area by extensive public transit options.

Chicago offers so much to residents and visitors, you should visit Chicago to form your own opinion instead of listening to Fox news.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 12-23-2022 at 10:29 AM..

Old 12-22-2022, 02:15 PM

18,757 posts, read 11,787,488 times
Have you ever been to the Chi town op?

It is a fabulous city full of beautiful architecture, amazing old theaters and tons of good food. I love the museums and Art Institute. Biking on the lake shore is fun and so is the dog beach. I love ice skating on the ribbon at Millennium Park. Lincoln Park is amazing and so is the zoo, although you do have to be careful there. I've never had a problem there.

I loved talking the train down for a concert in one of those beautiful old theaters or taking the train down on a balmy early summer night to my favorite Tapas restaurant. The walk back to the train is pleasant. Just don't have too much Sangria and stop in at the animal shelter on the way home and bond with one of the dogs. I tried to figure out how I could smuggle it on the train to get it home only to find out it was already adopted.

The fireworks off of Navy Pier are magical every Wednesday and Saturday night against the skyline. I love Chicago, but not the West and South side. You just don't go there. There's so much to do and see.

Old 12-22-2022, 05:00 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,543,450 times
Chicago is the greatest city in the world—period.

I've never heard Chicago be described as "on the forefront of the ongoing culture wars." There are many progressive activist-type people in Chicago, especially on the north side ("the lakefront liberals") and in Hyde Park. However, the average voter in this city is a middle or working-class Democrat with no particular ideological orientation. Chicago is absolutely NOT Oakland, San Francisco, Boston, or Brooklyn. Care to explain?

I think people on the center-right tend to see Chicago as a perfect example of Democratic Party urban mismanagement. I'm not sure that criticism is particularly far off when it comes to crime, public services, education, corruption, and financial accountability. I can't think of anything when it comes to government or politics that makes me proud.

Old 12-22-2022, 05:07 PM

180 posts, read 634,566 times
Mod cut: Quoted post deleted.

Am I the only one who finds it incredibly weird that there are people who desperately want to believe that the third largest city in the country is a hellhole?

Its like if I was under the impression Someplaceistan wasn't very nice then someone who lived there said "oh well you didn't know about the lovely X, Y, and Z", I'd think "oh that's nice. I'm happy that my fellow humans in Someplaceistan have that. I've learned something. Thank you good sir or madame." Reaction here seems to be "NOOOOOO! I MUST BeLEvie ThAt ~3 mILLIon people live tERRible lives and HaTe wHere They Live! It SmaKes mE fEEEEL good"

Odd world we live in. Sheesh.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 12-23-2022 at 10:31 AM..

Old 12-23-2022, 07:12 AM

2,191 posts, read 1,847,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebitdadada View Post
Am I the only one who finds it incredibly weird that there are people who desperately want to believe that the third largest city in the country is a hellhole?

Its like if I was under the impression Someplaceistan wasn't very nice then someone who lived there said "oh well you didn't know about the lovely X, Y, and Z", I'd think "oh that's nice. I'm happy that my fellow humans in Someplaceistan have that. I've learned something. Thank you good sir or madame." Reaction here seems to be "NOOOOOO! I MUST BeLEvie ThAt ~3 mILLIon people live tERRible lives and HaTe wHere They Live! It SmaKes mE fEEEEL good"

Odd world we live in. Sheesh.
Yes, this is really the thing. It's expanded even to bashing the sports teams. Chicago is like that big bully that got the flu, now everyone is pointing and laughing and hopes he dies. But the bully didn't really ever do anything to hurt anyone. He just looks like a bully. In reality, he's a good guy.

Old 12-23-2022, 09:19 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,623,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sf_arkitect View Post
^ I am a Chicago resident and when I see so much hate for Chicago on forums I just assume it is coming from a former resident of the Chicagoland area who was likely born before 1970, only cares about low taxes/small government, and now lives in Florida.

Conservatives just love to hate on Chicago because it is one of the largest cities on the forefront of the ongoing culture wars. <sighhhhh>

But to answer the OP's question, I am transplant from Southern California and I firmly believe Chicago is one of the most beautiful and best organized cities in the US.

Source: https://www.choosechicago.com/articl...-golf-courses/

Source: https://www.choosechicago.com/blog/f...kefront-trail/

^ Chicago has something most cities in the US do not have - a waterfront set aside almost entirely as a public park. If you look at any aerial photos of satellite images of the city you will see a long ribbon of green from the far north side to the far south side.

Source: https://www.goodgoodgood.co/articles...-tree-planting

^ Chicago has alleys cutting down nearly every block - providing garage access from the backside of residential and commercial lots. This has spared the street facing side of most homes from having to accommodate an unsightly garage door and permits more attractive streetscape.

Source: https://www.hotels.com/go/usa/chicago

Source: https://luxurychicagocondos.com/reso...-neighborhood/

Source: https://www.archpaper.com/2020/01/ch...-line-yellows/

^ Another attractive aspect is the mixed land use you encounter on almost every city block in Chicago. A single block might have single family homes, two-flats, a residential high-rise, and/or a mixed-use commercial building. It is so much more attractive than the single use superblocks and subdivisions you find suburbs and most sun-belt cities.

Source: https://image1.apartmentfinder.com/i...rial-photo.jpg

^Lastly, Chicago has a fantastic downtown, the 2nd largest in the country only behind midtown Manhattan in size. The city center is filled with public spaces like Grant Park, the lakefront, museum campus, the Chicago river walk, Michigan Avenue, etc to people watch, shop, attend festivals and parades. And it is connected to the rest of the city and wider metropolitan area by extensive public transit options.

Chicago offers so much to residents and visitors, you should visit Chicago to form your own opinion instead of listening to Fox news.
Rep'd you. Thoughtful, informed post.

Old 12-23-2022, 09:27 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,860,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
Yes, this is really the thing. It's expanded even to bashing the sports teams. Chicago is like that big bully that got the flu, now everyone is pointing and laughing and hopes he dies. But the bully didn't really ever do anything to hurt anyone. He just looks like a bully. In reality, he's a good guy.
I have to disagree. I've never heard of Chicago's sports teams getting bashed. Even if so, it's not widespread at all and not in a vitriolic way. I can't think of any Chicago sports team that outsiders dislike or "bash." I think that is the least of Chicago's problems, as it relates to image/perception from outsiders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago