Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2023, 08:05 AM

14 posts, read 11,317 times

Advertisements

Hi, We currently live in Park Ridge. Our kid recently got admitted to Northside Prep.. We were not thinking that he would score perfect 900.. But he did.. and now we want to do his talent a justice and move to City in next two months for him stay admitted at this school.

While it's exciting, it's also nerve-wracking to pick a neighborhood. We are looking for urban, liberal neighborhood within 20 minutes from the school. Needless to say, as safe as possible. Since we have never lived in city or high-rise, waterfront access or terrific skyline views are important. Also want easy access to city through public transportation.

Our budget is pretty wide.. $750K-$1.5M.

Can you please help us out?

Thx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2023, 08:32 AM

Does a student have to live in Chicago to attend a high school in Chicago?

Yes, students have to live in Chicago to enroll and attend a Chicago public, charter, or contract school. The student does NOT have to live in Chicago in order to apply, participate in the testing process, and even be selected, but the student must provide proof of city of Chicago residency by July 1st, for the upcoming school year, in order to enroll and attend a Chicago public school.

Source:
https://www.cps.edu/gocps/high-schoo...lectionProcess

Old 03-25-2023, 08:39 AM

3,208 posts, read 3,564,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomjerryaura View Post
Hi, We currently live in Park Ridge. Our kid recently got admitted to Northside Prep.. We were not thinking that he would score perfect 900.. But he did.. and now we want to do his talent a justice and move to City in next two months for him stay admitted at this school.

While it's exciting, it's also nerve-wracking to pick a neighborhood. We are looking for urban, liberal neighborhood within 20 minutes from the school. Needless to say, as safe as possible. Since we have never lived in city or high-rise, waterfront access or terrific skyline views are important. Also want easy access to city through public transportation.

Our budget is pretty wide.. $750K-$1.5M.

Can you please help us out?

Thx
Usually, people with this amount of money, especially those already residing in the area, know where they want to live. I don't actually understand what you are asking. Northside is not convenient to the Gold Coast or any of the upmarket highrise enclaves in and around downtown.

What exactly are you expecting your son to achieve or enjoy at Northside that he cannot obtain at Maine South?

Old 03-25-2023, 08:48 AM

Sorry should have mentioned that we moved to Park Ridge only 2 years go from Texas. Hence asking for an opinion.

As far as, what we would have liked to achieve for son. Better academics and diverse student community- both socioeconomics and ethnicity. Maine South as I believe is more focused on sports than academics.

Appreciate your perspectives.

Old 03-25-2023, 09:52 AM

219 posts, read 136,326 times
If you want waterfront and lakeviews I'd suggest Edgewater, Lakeview and Lincoln Park all on the eastern edge. Ravenswood and Old Irving doesn't have skycrapers but they do have some houses along the river.

Old 03-25-2023, 04:10 PM

94 posts, read 105,149 times
The neighborhoods directly east of the river from Northside, Budlong and Peterson Woods, are nice and family friendly with a lot of unique architecture and a beautiful walking park with bike trail by the river. That's what I would choose. If you want lakefront high-rise then there's Edgewater but not nearly as convenient to transport to kid to school.

Old 03-25-2023, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlitwanderer View Post
The neighborhoods directly east of the river from Northside, Budlong and Peterson Woods, are nice and family friendly with a lot of unique architecture and a beautiful walking park with bike trail by the river. That's what I would choose. If you want lakefront high-rise then there's Edgewater but not nearly as convenient to transport to kid to school.
Thank you! Looking into it..

Old 03-26-2023, 11:06 AM

3,208 posts, read 3,564,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomjerryaura View Post
Sorry should have mentioned that we moved to Park Ridge only 2 years go from Texas. Hence asking for an opinion.

As far as, what we would have liked to achieve for son. Better academics and diverse student community- both socioeconomics and ethnicity. Maine South as I believe is more focused on sports than academics.

Appreciate your perspectives.
I think your neighbors would disagree very strongly. I'm not sure its reputation for athletics is any greater than other public high schools in the vicinity. Maine South, for a relatively newer institution, has an impressive list of alumni. Obviously, Hillary Rodham Clinton is chief among them. My perception is that it is a well-rounded school. If your child gets on the honors track at Maine South, they're going to have the same basic curriculum as Northside. This is an extremely expensive move that greatly outstrips the cost of just enrolling him at Latin or something similar! In addition, heaven forbid you have any kind of problem with the administration. CPS will probably make it a nightmare.

Old 03-26-2023, 12:28 PM

44,374 posts, read 20,088,633 times
Note: This thread has been cleaned up, deleting some off-topic and political comments. Please do not turn this into a political discussion; save that for the Politics forum. Address OP's questions by suggesting neighborhoods which may fit his needs.

Thank you!
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 03-26-2023, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
I think your neighbors would disagree very strongly. I'm not sure its reputation for athletics is any greater than other public high schools in the vicinity. Maine South, for a relatively newer institution, has an impressive list of alumni. Obviously, Hillary Rodham Clinton is chief among them. My perception is that it is a well-rounded school. If your child gets on the honors track at Maine South, they're going to have the same basic curriculum as Northside. This is an extremely expensive move that greatly outstrips the cost of just enrolling him at Latin or something similar! In addition, heaven forbid you have any kind of problem with the administration. CPS will probably make it a nightmare.
This is a fair point! We are looking at nearly 100K in spend.. Wish they had provided us an option to pay a small fees instead. We are practically 25 mins away!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago