Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2011, 07:09 AM

38,707 posts, read 102,737,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcho View Post
Yes, and he had multiple problems including multiple gun incidents, his bodyguard getting killed outside a club, and a DUI which lead to his release.

His also had plenty of warnings and "advise" on how to conduct himself while playing on the Bears, going against Jerry's exact advise caused his release. Not a single previous incident.

The comparison of legal troubles between these two players is a huge reach.
Not really. Tank Johnson was arrested for having a gun in his car -- something that that would have been perfectly legal had he lived in virtually any other state but Illinois. He was arrested again for having a gun in the closet of his house -- again, not exactly a threat to humanity. The DUI charge was dropped for lack of evidence as his BAC was below .08. By contrast, Burress was arrested for having his gun on his person and for actually discharging it in public. Not to mention he's had multiple restraining orders against him. So this idea that he's some kind of saint compared to Tank Johnson is something I don't buy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2011, 12:43 PM

537 posts, read 1,029,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Not really. Tank Johnson was arrested for having a gun in his car -- something that that would have been perfectly legal had he lived in virtually any other state but Illinois. He was arrested again for having a gun in the closet of his house -- again, not exactly a threat to humanity. The DUI charge was dropped for lack of evidence as his BAC was below .08. By contrast, Burress was arrested for having his gun on his person and for actually discharging it in public. Not to mention he's had multiple restraining orders against him. So this idea that he's some kind of saint compared to Tank Johnson is something I don't buy.
What do you mean not really? I said multiple gun charges and there were multiple gun charges. The gun in his closet, was actually guns which included multiple assault rifles. The legality in another state is completely irrelevant. They were crimes in Illinois.

Regardless, the reason the Bears cut him was he went against direct orders to stay clean and had multiple arrests AFTER he was warned. He needed a special exception to travel to the Superbowl, this is not the nonsense the Bears or any team wants to deal with.

I never said Burress was a saint, but his issue was before the Bears and doesn't involve the Bears. If they don't sign him it will be because Martz is stubborn and doesn't believe in tall WRs, not because of his arrest.

Old 07-27-2011, 12:47 PM

Jeez, overreact much? I'm just saying, it's not that much of a stretch to compare Burress to Johnson in terms of their personal conduct. It's really not.

Old 07-27-2011, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Jeez, overreact much? I'm just saying, it's not that much of a stretch to compare Burress to Johnson in terms of their personal conduct. It's really not.
You must have read tone that wasn't there. My whole point is the even if one were to think the conduct is similar, that's not why Johnson was let go and why Burress might not get signed.

Old 07-27-2011, 04:43 PM

427 posts, read 459,499 times
Quote:
You must have read tone that wasn't there. My whole point is the even if one were to think the conduct is similar, that's not why Johnson was let go and why Burress might not get signed.
Yes the run-ins with the law was why Johnson was let go and why do you think Cedric Benson was launched? I am curious what you think the reason for Tank Johnson being tanked was.

Old 07-27-2011, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydbarrett View Post
Yes it was why Johnson was let go and why do you think Cedric Benson was launched? I am curious what you think the reason for Tank Johnson being tanked was.
If you read my posts you'd know the reason. Tank was let go for conduct/crimes while employed by the Bears and more importantly after going against direct orders to stay clean. The same offenses very likely wouldn't have prevented them signing/drafting him as they weren't under the Bears watch.

As to Benson, I don't think I know his release was perfectly timed to coincide with a 2nd alcohol related arrest. No team in the league would release a player for this. He was always in the coaches dog house after challenging them many times. The Bears had already announced they were looking for a replacement because of his attitude and the fact he wasn't any good. The arrest just happened to be timed perfectly.

Old 07-27-2011, 05:02 PM

427 posts, read 459,499 times
Quote:
If you read my posts you'd know the reason. Tank was let go for conduct/crimes while employed by the Bears and more importantly after going against direct orders to stay clean. The same offenses very likely wouldn't have prevented them signing/drafting him as they weren't under the Bears watch.
Angelo released Johnson 3 days after being pulled over for suspected DWI and speeding saying he "compromised the credibility of the team."

The Bears famously passed on drafting Randy Moss because he had a history of being a knucklehead.

This is a team that refuses to have cheerleaders for a more "family atmosphere."

Old 07-28-2011, 05:49 PM

237 posts, read 378,452 times
Greg Olsen goes to the Panthers..........

Old 07-28-2011, 05:53 PM

308 posts, read 754,161 times
With last year's incident where he was almost traded and then the e-mails last night, hardly a surprise.

On the surface, it's difficult to take in at first. Most casual Bears fans might dislike it because he had 5 TDs last year, but he is a bad blocking TE and with a Mike Martz offense that's a bad thing.

I'm more upset about the lack of talk about the Bears with FA WRs. Braylon Edwards would be a perfect fit for the Bears.

Old 07-28-2011, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Quote:
I never said Burress was a saint, but his issue was before the Bears and doesn't involve the Bears. If they don't sign him it will be because Martz is stubborn and doesn't believe in tall WRs, not because of his arrest.
Either that or because the Bears don't need an egomaniacal headcase on the team. By NFL standards, the Bears are a team with minimal ego problems and IMO that has played no small part in the team's chemistry.

Not to mention Burress is reaching the end of the NFL's shelf life and hasn't played a single game in 3 years. That and a discipline headache not a promising combination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago