U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What percentage of your monthly income do you spend on rent (including utilities)?
25% or less 3 37.50%
25% - 30% 2 25.00%
30% - 35% 1 12.50%
35% - 40% 0 0%
40% or higher 2 25.00%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 08:42 AM

3 posts, read 6,181 times

Advertisements

I'm 19 and live in Grand Rapids, mi and I serve at a fine dining restaurant.

I take improv classes in Chicago every Sunday at The Second City.

Its about time I get serious about this improv thing and move to Chicago. I wanted to move in the fall but was held back by the fact that I can't work in city unless I'm refilling coffees at a breakfast place. Which doesnt seem like it would pay the bills.

I have heard of people living in the city and serving the suburbs. It sounds like the best chance I got. I was thinking something along the lines of Oak Park or Evanston, because its so close. I feel like its risky though because it seems that the suburbs would have a lot less traffic than in the Gold Coast.

Any good restaurants I should know about?
Any suburbs have the same 21+ up rule?
Will I be able to afford a studio (650) by waiting tables in the suburbs?
Any advice? or comments?

I have a car but would rather not live 90 minutes plus from the city. high gas cost + urban living costs / server wage...that doesn't seem like it would equal out so well.

Oh, and I know people in chicago, but none who need a roommate. And the whole craigslist thing...i've done that. People think Im just a stupid, hopeful kid moving to the city and they don't think I can pay rent. So it seems like a studio is my only option.

I know their are other forums about jobs, cost of living, waiting tables, but I feel like I have a unique situation.

Thanks for your time, Any feedback would be awesome

(ps i attached a skeleton of my resume for some reason.)
Attached Files
File Type: txt deletethisnow.txt (969 Bytes, 208 views)

Last edited by Breakfastcl1895; 05-29-2008 at 10:02 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2008, 10:18 AM

12,063 posts, read 29,969,384 times
Looks like the 21 to serve thing is state-wide... which seems particularly strange to me too, but you're going to have to look for something else to do I guess...

Old 05-29-2008, 10:40 AM

1,817 posts, read 4,680,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
Looks like the 21 to serve thing is state-wide... which seems particularly strange to me too, but you're going to have to look for something else to do I guess...
You can serve drinks at 18. You have to be 21 to pour.

Old 05-29-2008, 11:34 AM

1,325 posts, read 3,945,895 times
Default serving in Illinois

The following link will assist you in terms of State of Illinois law. Please move down to the section entitled "Alcohol Related Issues" and then make note of question number 3.
Illinois Restaurant Association

Individual city laws vary greatly. Evanston appears to be 18 to serve or pour in a restaurant City of Evanston - City Code. The following City of Chicago website will give you the law for Chicago. Appears to be 21:
City of Chicago - Restaurant Resource Center FAQs

As for affording a studio on a server salary, a lot of folks do it without a problem. The neighborhood will be the key. Within Chicago, you could live in Edgewater,Uptown/Buena Park, Rogers Park or even Lakeview(in a smallish studio). Also many other neighborhoods. The neighborhoods I mentioned would be good if you are working in Evanston as they are all on the Red Line. In addition to Craigslist, you can search apartments on the Chicago Reader website by neighborhood:
Chicago Reader Classifieds | Real Estate | Housing for Rent

Last edited by soulful; 05-29-2008 at 01:00 PM..

Old 05-29-2008, 07:11 PM

15,587 posts, read 25,505,744 times
To the OP:Are you talking about net or gross income for the poll?

Old 05-29-2008, 08:53 PM

3 posts, read 6,181 times
Net Income

Old 05-29-2008, 09:10 PM

15,587 posts, read 25,505,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breakfastcl1895 View Post
Net Income
Ok. Most of the time banks and others go off of gross. It is never good to spend more than 25-33% of your gross on rent or mortgage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>