Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2023, 10:35 PM

828 posts, read 450,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjj View Post
Think about it. Transiting at night on the el, then transferring downtown to another line while hauling bags (maybe a lot of bags since this appears to be an international flight from ORD). Talk about being an easy target. And then having to drag everything from the Terminal 2 basement where the Blue line comes in, up three levels to the shuttle train to get over to Terminal 5? I would not even consider this. Safety aside, this would be a nightmare connection carrying enough bags for an international trip.

Just take a taxi or Uber from MDW to ORD and stay safe and avoid the aggravation.
All of this. Id spend the extra money and take an Uber.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2023, 01:47 AM

4,502 posts, read 4,609,298 times
You might wanna be extra observant of your surroundings at O'Hara. I hear they are housing the homeless inside O'Hara Airport next to the baggage belts.

Old 02-15-2023, 05:53 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,180,639 times
If you can carry your bags, I would suggest taking the el from Midway to O'Hare. The Orange line from Midway and the Blue line to O'Hare have a lot of security for air travelers. The camera surveillance is close to constant.Taxis, shuttles and ubers could be done but have less than standard schedules.

Old 02-15-2023, 12:53 PM

3,918 posts, read 6,830,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
You might wanna be extra observant of your surroundings at O'Hara. I hear they are housing the homeless inside O'Hara Airport next to the baggage belts.
Really?

This is not true. Homeless have always ventured into various areas for different reasons. Rarely are they dangerous to be around. Any 24 hour train line like the Blue or Red will carry a certain percentage of homeless people.

Old 02-15-2023, 02:21 PM

2,191 posts, read 1,847,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjj View Post
Think about it. Transiting at night on the el, then transferring downtown to another line while hauling bags (maybe a lot of bags since this appears to be an international flight from ORD). Talk about being an easy target. And then having to drag everything from the Terminal 2 basement where the Blue line comes in, up three levels to the shuttle train to get over to Terminal 5? I would not even consider this. Safety aside, this would be a nightmare connection carrying enough bags for an international trip.

Just take a taxi or Uber from MDW to ORD and stay safe and avoid the aggravation.
100% agree. In fact, I had to do this once, because of a flight snafu, I flew out of O'hare, but then flew back home into Midway. So I had to get an Uber to go get my car at O'Hare.

This was maybe 4 years ago - it was maybe a $50-$60 ride and was very quick. Similar time of night, maybe even later, like 10pm. I was just super annoyed at my whole travel that day - ended up taking a flight to Midway because my scheduled flight to O'Hare was canceled. At that point I was all about getting home as fast as possible.

Don't take the train. That will take a very long time, even if it does save you money. Not worth it.

Old 02-16-2023, 08:26 AM

4,502 posts, read 4,609,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
Really?

This is not true. Homeless have always ventured into various areas for different reasons. Rarely are they dangerous to be around. Any 24 hour train line like the Blue or Red will carry a certain percentage of homeless people.
Yes, Sir, it is true. I didn't make the story up. It was in the Daily Mail online yesterday or day before. I tried to copy the link but I couldn't get it to work. The headlines were something like "Homeless Set Up Camp INSIDE Chicago O'Hare Airport" You can probably do a search on the DM and find it.

Old 02-16-2023, 08:33 AM

14,454 posts, read 20,634,616 times
We have not gotten email alerts for the last few comments. Good ideas but we have been able to find a flight that takes us to O'Hare terminal 5 and still get the advantages of Southwest Air. Thanks.

Old 02-16-2023, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Really?

There are pictures to prove it. Right as you exit baggage claim in Terminal 2. I don't know why this is suddenly allowed. This guy adds his own color commentary which is stupid. But here are the pics.

https://twitter.com/JackLombardi/sta...dyzwr2iLrt_ZKc

Old 02-16-2023, 09:41 AM

3,918 posts, read 6,830,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Yes, Sir, it is true. I didn't make the story up. It was in the Daily Mail online yesterday or day before. I tried to copy the link but I couldn't get it to work. The headlines were something like "Homeless Set Up Camp INSIDE Chicago O'Hare Airport" You can probably do a search on the DM and find it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
There are pictures to prove it. Right as you exit baggage claim in Terminal 2. I don't know why this is suddenly allowed. This guy adds his own color commentary which is stupid. But here are the pics.
You saying they are "housing" homeless as if it's some sort of homeless shelter is not true. Homeless have always ventured into O'hare, there is nothing new there. Perhaps there are more of them now but that still doesn't mean they are any more dangerous than before either.

Old 02-16-2023, 10:17 AM

Quote:
You saying they are "housing" homeless as if it's some sort of homeless shelter is not true. Homeless have always ventured into O'hare, there is nothing new there. Perhaps there are more of them now but that still doesn't mean they are any more dangerous than before either.
Yes, I agree. There isn't a sanctioned encampment there.

However, they used to shoo them out. Looks like they aren't doing this right now and just letting them camp there. I'd not believe it if a friend of mine wasn't just in the airport yesterday and saw it.

I do think one of the pictures shown are people likely spending the night due to a canceled connection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago