Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2023, 08:59 AM

2,176 posts, read 1,801,839 times

Advertisements

Hiruko, you'll appreciate this.

There was one on Zillow that looked perfect for us. I contacted the person listed. It took 2 days, but he finally responded. We set up a time to look at the property. When on the phone, he said, "Oh, by the way, I'm the tenant, and I'm moving out in 3 months, so you'd be finishing my lease and then upon renewal the owners are increasing the rent by $750/month". We canceled the appointment. I was so mad.

Another time we got the owners directly. They were very responsive, smart. But clearly had never been landlords. They are in the "accidental landlord" situation where they are buying a place but don't want to sell their current one because of the low mortgage rate - they can make money renting it. They were above board and stuff, but we didn't like the apartment enough to sign a lease.

Another one was listed directly by the management company, no realtor.

With Zillow, unless the company is listed you just don't know who you are communicating with.

Last edited by Kmanshouse; 04-04-2023 at 09:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2023, 12:26 PM

3,205 posts, read 3,469,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
Hiruko, you'll appreciate this.

There was one on Zillow that looked perfect for us. I contacted the person listed. It took 2 days, but he finally responded. We set up a time to look at the property. When on the phone, he said, "Oh, by the way, I'm the tenant, and I'm moving out in 3 months, so you'd be finishing my lease and then upon renewal the owners are increasing the rent by $750/month". We canceled the appointment. I was so mad.

Another time we got the owners directly. They were very responsive, smart. But clearly had never been landlords. They are in the "accidental landlord" situation where they are buying a place but don't want to sell their current one because of the low mortgage rate - they can make money renting it. They were above board and stuff, but we didn't like the apartment enough to sign a lease.

Another one was listed directly by the management company, no realtor.

With Zillow, unless the company is listed you just don't know who you are communicating with.
A lot of tenants know people aren't interested in a sublet, so they will avoid disclosing it. Truth be told, sublessors should be contacting an agent more than probably anyone. I choose to let my tenants break their leases in exchange for one month's rent penalty. That allows me to pay my PM to "re-rent" it. It's easier for everyone, and when you price your rentals competitively, there are never any longstanding vacancies. I've never had a unit go vacant for more than a month.

I have noticed that many of the websites obscure the name of the listing agency/manager. As far as I know, that is not actually legal, so I am not sure how some of the platforms have gotten away with it. I think the law is pretty clear: Illinois Compiled Statutes

Old 04-05-2023, 11:26 PM

1,047 posts, read 1,546,713 times
I use the same agent the past couple times and he's been awesome if you still need a referral.

One tip I've figured out - don't waste your time viewing any tenant-occupied units if you don't have to. It's amazing how people, even renting 2300/month 1br places in a decent building, can live like absolute slobs. If I view a place with a sink full of dirty dishes and a bathtub coated in hair & grime no way am I renting that place. Doesn't matter if they hire professional cleaners I'll never be able to get the images out of my head and feel comfortable in that apartment.

Old 04-06-2023, 01:32 PM

2,176 posts, read 1,801,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendu View Post
I use the same agent the past couple times and he's been awesome if you still need a referral.

One tip I've figured out - don't waste your time viewing any tenant-occupied units if you don't have to. It's amazing how people, even renting 2300/month 1br places in a decent building, can live like absolute slobs. If I view a place with a sink full of dirty dishes and a bathtub coated in hair & grime no way am I renting that place. Doesn't matter if they hire professional cleaners I'll never be able to get the images out of my head and feel comfortable in that apartment.
It definitely takes some imagination. When we were looking in 2019, we saw some God-awful places. The place we ended up getting was also in disarray because it was a young family and baby stuff was everywhere. But my wife, thankfully, could see through it and said, "apply right now", and it's been a great first place for us in the city.

In this next journey, we've been unable to control this. Inventory is not so available that you can just pick only empty ones to see. We've seen 5-6 places now, only one wasn't occupied. The one we saw yesterday was occupied but pretty clean, thankfully. It's been a mixed bag.

I know our place won't be pristine when/if he shows it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago