Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2023, 04:54 PM

2,558 posts, read 2,148,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgeorgiaman View Post
Hello Chicago friends. I came to your city in March 2019 on business and loved what little I could do on a work trip. I have booked a Monday to Friday trip over July 4th. My question is...Will this be too long for a touristy trip? We plan to stay near Grant Park and see the Fountain, bean, Field Museum, Art Institute, Museum of science and industry, Robie House, Willis Tower, Jazz at the Shedd ( love aquariums and jazz), go to some nice tasting menu restaurants, visit Chinatown for some great food, some Deep Dish pizza, and other things.

So I met Chicago natives this weekend on a visit to Palm Springs and they said we would be bored after 2 days. I don't see that and part of me wants to chalk it up to suburbanites who moved and just want to justify their move, but Chicago isn't NYC, so is my itinerary for 4 days lively and fun or will I be twittling my thumbs on day 4?

My partner and I live in a small southern city and enjoy getting to a vibrant big city on occasion. Thoughts on 4 nights in your city? And any suggestions for the best restaurants in Chinatown are welcomed! (My home city has zero great Chinese restaurants). Thanks!
No, 4 days is definitely not too long. Those are all some good ideas, and unfortunately trying to fit in all the museums means you won't have much time to get into some of the neighborhoods outside of downtown. There's plenty to do and it seems like you'll be able to keep yourself pretty busy without venturing too far from downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2023, 07:54 PM

2,299 posts, read 6,153,603 times
The Art Institute, Field Museum and Museum of Science and Industry will each take a full day. So your problem will actually be, how do you narrow down your activities to only 4 days. I’ve been here over 45 years and still have places on my want to see list.

Old 04-20-2023, 09:06 PM

1,388 posts, read 2,235,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
I'd also recommend doing the architecture boat tour on the Chicago River. They leave from Navy Pier. You won't be bored after such a short time!
Yup, this is on the list now. Thanks!

Old 04-20-2023, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Arrow View Post
If you're into food then you're in for a treat. Chinatown has dozens of really good places. You can't go wrong with Lao Sze Chuan, try their fish. If you want something more authentic try the Original Triple Crown. I think they're BYOB. If you like deserts you have to go to a bakery in Chinatown. I like Feida's, it's a hole in the wall that only takes cash but it's really good. If you like Vietnamese food you should check out Argyle St. You also mentioned jazz, The Green Mill or Andy's is the place to go.
Thanks so much for the recommendations. I will look into these places. I could eat great Chinese for days! Vietnamese sounds great too!

Old 04-20-2023, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusillirob1983 View Post
No, 4 days is definitely not too long. Those are all some good ideas, and unfortunately trying to fit in all the museums means you won't have much time to get into some of the neighborhoods outside of downtown. There's plenty to do and it seems like you'll be able to keep yourself pretty busy without venturing too far from downtown.
I am realizing that one trip won't be enough time. A good "problem" to have!

Old 04-20-2023, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiestate View Post
The Art Institute, Field Museum and Museum of Science and Industry will each take a full day. So your problem will actually be, how do you narrow down your activities to only 4 days. I’ve been here over 45 years and still have places on my want to see list.
I am realizing that after planning it out. Might just do Art Institute and Field Museum this time. It will give me a reason to return and visit more restaurants.

Old 04-20-2023, 09:25 PM

108 posts, read 72,822 times
I'm dreading going downtown next week on business. Hopefully this will be my last time. I'd probably have more fun down in South Georgia. Unfortunately i own a couple houses & land up here plus my daughter lives nearby, so i probably wont be moving down south anytime soon. But if you like the big city Chicago or NYC would be your best bets or maybe San Francisco. My dad visited San Francisco a few times many years back & he said he liked it better than Chicago by far.

Old 04-21-2023, 08:08 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,148,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgeorgiaman View Post
I am realizing that after planning it out. Might just do Art Institute and Field Museum this time. It will give me a reason to return and visit more restaurants.
Yes, that is a good idea, and if you're going to be here in July, the weather will probably be nice, so you may have some regrets about spending most of your time inside museums, no matter how much you like them.

Old 04-21-2023, 01:44 PM

2,556 posts, read 3,597,888 times
IMO, it depends on your interests but to do Chicago right, 4 days really is not enough. You need at least 5-7 days to do it right, and even then, you still have more to see on your next trip. The people "from" Chicago whom you met in Palm Springs said two days? Makes me question their credibility. I'm guessing by saying they're from chicago, they really meant Peoria, Dixon or Moline. If you come for only two days, you will leave remorsefully.

Museums: You could devote two full days. Chicago is probably the number 2 (maybe 3) museum cities in the U.S. You could *easily* spend two days alone just on museums (in order of preference... AIC, Field, MS&I, Chicago History Museum, Adler, Contemporary Art, Shedd). Those are the biggies.

Architecture: Boat tour or walking tour or both. There are also bus tours that get you in the Loop and in the neighborhoods.

Sights: Hancock Center, Sears (Willis Tower), Navy Pier, Lincoln Park Zoo, Cultural Center, Buckingham Fountain, Millennium Park... do at least five of these.

Neighborhoods: I would reserve two days for checking out the outlying neighborhoods to get a sense of Chicago. Suggest choosing from Northside for one day-- Lincoln Park > Lincoln Square > Andersonville, then consider Wicker Park/Bucktown and Logan Square, Chinatown/Bridgeport, Hyde Park/Kenwood/University of Chicago (tie in with MS&I, Robie House, U of Chicago, Oriental Museum). Pilsen for Mexican food. Best way to see the neighborhoods is to rent a bike if you like to ride. You could tour several neighborhoods using the LSD or 606 bike paths alone.

Restaurants, pubs, taverns and pizza: Fulton Market, Randolph St., Lincoln Park, pubs in Lincoln Park/Lakeview/Logan Square/Wicker Park, taverns across the city and pizza: Magianos, Pequods for deep dish and Sheffield's or Pat's for Chicago tavern style (there are tons to choose from).

Breweries if you like beer. Chicago is a great beer town... Goose Island, Revolution, Solemn Oath, Half Acre, etc. There is a brewery "district" about a half mile north of the United Center.

Theater: Chicago has the second best live theater district in the U.S. Also Second City, I/O or other Improv.

Music: Blues club. I think Chi Symphony Orchestra is off in the Summer but see the Grant Park Orchestra (made up partly of CSO) for a free concert in Millennium Park. See an act at a local rock theater (Metro, The Vic, Riviera, Empty Bottle, etc.)

Baseball: Sox or Cubs. One of the team will have a home stand while you are here.

Lake Michigan: Beaches and bike path.

Check out a suburb, my suggestion would be Oak Park (FLW + Hemingway) or Evanston (NW, beaches). You can get to both by the el, and see a lot of the city while you're at it.

I'm missing a sh*t ton but this will give you a sense.

Whatever you choose, I hope you have an extremely memorable trip here. Chicago is America's best city, even with the bullsh*t crime that's going on now. And yes, you'll need to have your wits about you, but if you are smart, you'll be OK.

Last edited by BigLake; 04-21-2023 at 02:02 PM..

Old 04-21-2023, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
IMO, it depends on your interests but to do Chicago right, 4 days really is not enough. You need at least 5-7 days to do it right, and even then, you still have more to see on your next trip. The people "from" Chicago whom you met in Palm Springs said two days? Makes me question their credibility. I'm guessing by saying they're from chicago, they really meant Peoria, Dixon or Moline. If you come for only two days, you will leave remorsefully.

Museums: You could devote two full days. Chicago is probably the number 2 (maybe 3) museum cities in the U.S. You could *easily* spend two days alone just on museums (in order of preference... AIC, Field, MS&I, Chicago History Museum, Adler, Contemporary Art, Shedd). Those are the biggies.

Architecture: Boat tour or walking tour or both. There are also bus tours that get you in the Loop and in the neighborhoods.

Sights: Hancock Center, Sears (Willis Tower), Navy Pier, Lincoln Park Zoo, Cultural Center, Buckingham Fountain, Millennium Park... do at least five of these.

Neighborhoods: I would reserve two days for checking out the outlying neighborhoods to get a sense of Chicago. Suggest choosing from Northside for one day-- Lincoln Park > Lincoln Square > Andersonville, then consider Wicker Park/Bucktown and Logan Square, Chinatown/Bridgeport, Hyde Park/Kenwood/University of Chicago (tie in with MS&I, Robie House, U of Chicago, Oriental Museum). Pilsen for Mexican food. Best way to see the neighborhoods is to rent a bike if you like to ride. You could tour several neighborhoods using the LSD or 606 bike paths alone.

Restaurants, pubs, taverns and pizza: Fulton Market, Randolph St., Lincoln Park, pubs in Lincoln Park/Lakeview/Logan Square/Wicker Park, taverns across the city and pizza: Magianos, Pequods for deep dish and Sheffield's or Pat's for Chicago tavern style (there are tons to choose from).

Breweries if you like beer. Chicago is a great beer town... Goose Island, Revolution, Solemn Oath, Half Acre, etc. There is a brewery "district" about a half mile north of the United Center.

Theater: Chicago has the second best live theater district in the U.S. Also Second City, I/O or other Improv.

Music: Blues club. I think Chi Symphony Orchestra is off in the Summer but see the Grant Park Orchestra (made up partly of CSO) for a free concert in Millennium Park. See an act at a local rock theater (Metro, The Vic, Riviera, Empty Bottle, etc.)

Baseball: Sox or Cubs. One of the team will have a home stand while you are here.

Lake Michigan: Beaches and bike path.

Check out a suburb, my suggestion would be Oak Park (FLW + Hemingway) or Evanston (NW, beaches). You can get to both by the el, and see a lot of the city while you're at it.

I'm missing a sh*t ton but this will give you a sense.

Whatever you choose, I hope you have an extremely memorable trip here. Chicago is America's best city, even with the bullsh*t crime that's going on now. And yes, you'll need to have your wits about you, but if you are smart, you'll be OK.
Thanks for the wonderful insights! Your post is very helpful! I have a LOT of options. We are looking forward to our trip and these details help me and any future visitors! As far as the recent foolishness....I can't say it didn't cause pause, but a major city like Chicago can figure out a fix in 2 months. I have traveled all over. A few fools won't stop me. Repeated foolishness may, but we have 2 months to see how it all falls out. A world class city is bigger than that. I can't wait to visit again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago