Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2023, 08:32 AM

11 posts, read 10,409 times

Advertisements

Husband will be retiring in four years and we are looking forward to moving to Chicago! We currently live in Texas and hate it here. My husband has traveled all over the world and Chicago has always been one of his favorite cities. It is a big city, and I know it has its issues, but we already live in Houston so some of the negatives are the same here - like crime. I actually did a search comparing the crime between Houston and Chicago, and Chicago has less crime than Houston. Plus of course, like Houston, certain areas are worse than others. We are fortunate and will probably be living on the Gold Coast or Lincoln Park area. I am looking forward to getting out of the oppressive heat seven months of the year. We lived in New England for six years and I miss the winters and having four seasons. I’m also looking forward to being close to the lake. I have a visited several times, but never in the winter so we are coming for a week in January. People complain about how cold it gets, but having lived in New England and New York, I can’t imagine it could be much worse than that! I’m anxious to move and start exploring this wonderful city!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2023, 12:10 PM

3,205 posts, read 3,478,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzytex00 View Post
Husband will be retiring in four years and we are looking forward to moving to Chicago! We currently live in Texas and hate it here. My husband has traveled all over the world and Chicago has always been one of his favorite cities. It is a big city, and I know it has its issues, but we already live in Houston so some of the negatives are the same here - like crime. I actually did a search comparing the crime between Houston and Chicago, and Chicago has less crime than Houston. Plus of course, like Houston, certain areas are worse than others. We are fortunate and will probably be living on the Gold Coast or Lincoln Park area. I am looking forward to getting out of the oppressive heat seven months of the year. We lived in New England for six years and I miss the winters and having four seasons. I’m also looking forward to being close to the lake. I have a visited several times, but never in the winter so we are coming for a week in January. People complain about how cold it gets, but having lived in New England and New York, I can’t imagine it could be much worse than that! I’m anxious to move and start exploring this wonderful city!
Chicago will be colder and hotter than coastal New England or New York City. There was literally no question in your post. Thanks for sharing!

Old 06-05-2023, 12:25 PM

934 posts, read 1,431,077 times
Quote:
Welcome! Lincoln Park and Gold Coast are definitely beautiful areas.

I personally don't find the winters that bad here, but I don't mind the snow. Springs can be a bit hit or miss. Summers and fall are great though.

Old 06-05-2023, 06:21 PM

234 posts, read 111,052 times
Seriously, don’t let people try to bamboozle you about the “brutal” winters (they are wimps). If hubby (and you) are planning to be retired, then you won’t have to go out on some of the worst days - and those days are only periodic. You’ve already experienced New England seasons, so you won’t be taken by surprise. The “price” you pay for a good and honest winter means that you will immensely enjoy and appreciate the other 3 seasons as well. I personally like the winter season for an opportunity to 1) enjoy a "big city” monthlong Christmas extravaganza, and 2) after that, enjoy the time to cozy up inside and catch up on reading, cooking, and contemplation of, and planning for your lives and life activities. You will enjoy the amenities (dining, shopping, culture) in the neighborhoods you are targeting - as well as getting to know other areas of the city. Having close access to Lake Michigan is a big plus as well. I lived in the city for 13 years, but made a difficult decision to move away due to a family situation. I am excited that you are excited!

Old 06-05-2023, 09:01 PM

548 posts, read 397,299 times
Quote:
In 4 more years Fulton Market will be even further along with its' perpetual transition into a world class mixed-use neighborhood. The area becomes more unrecognizable every year while being a night-life/entertainment hub. The vibrancy there is really unmatched by the Gold Coast or Lincoln Park. Maybe you should research if it's something you'd enjoy. It's the most Brooklyn-type vibe you can get in the city having fine-grained traditional urbanism of varying scale that is ultra rare in Chicago.

Old 06-06-2023, 12:24 AM

5,528 posts, read 3,204,703 times
I'm glad the OP is happy. Beware: there are some Debbie downers on this forum.

Old 06-07-2023, 08:51 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,151,175 times
Quote:
Very exciting. I doubt it's much worse than NE/NY. Can be colder or more snow depending on the year. I would guess New England/Boston get a little more snow than Chicago and New York a little less.

Living near the lake is a big plus in the summer, especially if you enjoy biking, running, or going to the beach. I found the summers to be more pleasant when I lived near the lake compared to now being in the suburbs.

Old 06-07-2023, 09:26 PM

2,981 posts, read 3,221,545 times
Quote:
A lot can change in 4 years.

An alternative to the Gold Coast & Lincoln Park area could include Evanston into Lake County. From Evanston still have CTA Red Line service. Further north you have Metra North Line trains to choose from.

Compared to New England the cold for 3 months depends on Polar Vortex conditions. Temps can go -20 without counting wind. As a retiree hibernate on those days. Snow depends on direction of winds. In a city should be cleared in a few days.

With the lake close you can get away from the worst of the heat. Usually cooler by the lake.

Old 06-08-2023, 06:01 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,585,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWoodle View Post
A lot can change in 4 years.

An alternative to the Gold Coast & Lincoln Park area could include Evanston into Lake County. From Evanston still have CTA Red Line service. Further north you have Metra North Line trains to choose from.

Compared to New England the cold for 3 months depends on Polar Vortex conditions. Temps can go -20 without counting wind. As a retiree hibernate on those days. Snow depends on direction of winds. In a city should be cleared in a few days.

With the lake close you can get away from the worst of the heat. Usually cooler by the lake.
Yeah that is what my parents are thinking. THey said they wouldn’t want to come up here ever again before the pandemic started. They were born in the area and have been in FL since the ‘70s, but now they figure it’s not like they actually go out in the summer anyway. It’s not going to be that much different in Chicago just staying in during the cold months. Plus they love to cruise and could easily just pick up some last minute cruises outside the holiday season during the winter. I’ve tried to convince them to do like the monthlong ones in winter, but it has been somewhat of a failure.

Old 06-10-2023, 04:01 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,776,400 times
We lived in Evanston for over 30 years and I loved it. I could walk several blocks to the "el" and be down town in about 30 minutes. In addition, I could walk or bike along the Lakefront (and people watch). My kids had lots of activities in Evanston as well. The hospital was also close by. Northwestern had many activities we could attend. The Mitchell Museum of the American Indian, Halim Time & Glass Museum, the Block Museum of Art, and the American Toby Jug Museum are all in Evanston. There are beaches all along the Lake in Evanston and down into Chicago.

Evanston Patch
https://patch.com/illinois/evanston
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago