Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 10:57 AM

2,561 posts, read 2,181,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
Eh, apparently this guy got robbed at 4 pm on the red line going north some time before Lawrence.

Look!

A 20-year-old man was robbed while riding a northbound CTA red line train around 4 p.m. Jan. 9. The victim told police that two men in their late teens tried grabbing his cell phone out of his hand. When the victim resisted, one of the men displayed a gun tucked into his waistband. He handed his phone to the men, who got off the train at the Lawrence el stop.

apparently, no place is immune. then again, maybe the guy was just being super obnoxious and annoying on his phone.
That's in Uptown, so that is less surprising than if something happened between downtown and the Addison stop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2009, 12:00 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,609,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusillirob1983 View Post
That's in Uptown, so that is less surprising than if something happened between downtown and the Addison stop.
10/30/2006
"Wrigleyville Assault
This morning, cops were posted at the Addison Red Line stop to pass out flyers requesting information on a 30-something man who robbed and sexually assaulted a woman as she was leaving the stop early Sunday morning. It's always jarring when you hear of attacks in a neighborhood in which you usually feel safe, but even more so when you realize it happened along the exact route you traverse everyday. Anyone with information on the incident is asked to call the Belmont Area sex crimes unit at 312-744-8261.
Veronica on Mon October 30 2006In the News"

Gapers Block : Merge : October 2006

Old 01-18-2009, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Eh, apparently this guy got robbed at 4 pm on the red line going north some time before Lawrence...

...apparently, no place is immune. then again, maybe the guy was just being super obnoxious and annoying on his phone.
You are right no place is immune. However, the chances of having a crime happening to you are far greater if you are on the Dan Ryan branch than the Howard branch of the Red Line.

Old 01-18-2009, 02:21 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,234,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
You are right no place is immune. However, the chances of having a crime happening to you are far greater if you are on the Dan Ryan branch than the Howard branch of the Red Line.
True, us on the Howard side get more straight up crazies than anything.

Old 01-18-2009, 02:29 PM

Quote:
True, us on the Howard side get more straight up crazies than anything.
Yep. Are we included in that group?

Old 01-20-2009, 07:54 AM

220 posts, read 744,678 times
I agree that day times and commute hours the Green Line through the Westside is fine. During the night, I would be more cautious and stick to the first car (with the driver).

But there are thousands of the people that take the Green Line everyday and have no problems. I think the probability of something happening to an individual is quite low..

As for taking the Metra - I wouldn't advise that for the OP. The Metra only stops in downtown Oak Park which is about 1.5 miles west of the Austin Ave Green Line stop, which is where the OP said his wife will be working.

Old 01-21-2009, 02:51 PM

22 posts, read 36,567 times
Default Generally Safe

I had the same concerns when I moved to Oak Park from Lincoln Park 3 years ago. I'm not going to lie and say there aren't your fair share of shadey characters on the Green Line, but I've not felt threatened or unsafe riding it. There is safety in numbers and during rush hour there are quite a few people on the train. I've ridden it at all different times of the day. If it's after 9:30pm/10pm, I typically do not ride by myself (I'm a single female). If I do, I get in the first car. It's just common sense, really. The only time I had red flags go up was when my fiance and I were riding downtown on a Sunday night from Oak Park stop to Navy Pier. We were the only ones on the car besides this one guy who looked very suspicious. But, on the way back, the train was crowded and they had security w/dogs on the car we were on. Personally, I think she will be safe during rush hour times and if she feels uneasy, just have her ride in the first car. Hope this helps.

Old 01-21-2009, 03:19 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,949,514 times
You could always take the metra to Oak Park, then transfer to the Green line and ride it two three stops to Austin Blvd. Might even be faster than taking the Green Line all the way out. It will cost twice as much, though.

Old 01-28-2009, 11:49 AM

367 posts, read 1,205,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagged34 View Post
I had the same concerns when I moved to Oak Park from Lincoln Park 3 years ago. I'm not going to lie and say there aren't your fair share of shadey characters on the Green Line, but I've not felt threatened or unsafe riding it. There is safety in numbers and during rush hour there are quite a few people on the train. I've ridden it at all different times of the day. If it's after 9:30pm/10pm, I typically do not ride by myself (I'm a single female). If I do, I get in the first car. It's just common sense, really. The only time I had red flags go up was when my fiance and I were riding downtown on a Sunday night from Oak Park stop to Navy Pier. We were the only ones on the car besides this one guy who looked very suspicious. But, on the way back, the train was crowded and they had security w/dogs on the car we were on. Personally, I think she will be safe during rush hour times and if she feels uneasy, just have her ride in the first car. Hope this helps.

Since this thread died, let me ask a related question. Since we have established the Green line to Oak Park can be shady (with lots of robberies in December on the train as I mentioned in a recent Chicago Suburbs thread), how does the blue line to/from the Oak Park area compare? As far as traffic, safety, shadiness, what hours to exercise more caution?

Old 01-29-2009, 08:43 AM

95 posts, read 325,354 times
Exactly the same!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago