Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2023, 08:30 AM

20,104 posts, read 9,011,934 times

Advertisements

Good to see Chicago welcoming these people. It's what the politicians elected promised to do, be a sanctuary to those without.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2023, 07:26 PM

132 posts, read 67,233 times
LOL enjoy. You have NO idea what you're in for. Please keep welcoming them there. You'll soon enough find out how that is going to work out (as in not).

Old 12-05-2023, 08:24 PM

52 posts, read 24,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UniversalTraveler View Post
LOL enjoy. You have NO idea what you're in for. Please keep welcoming them there. You'll soon enough find out how that is going to work out (as in not).
City has been welcoming immigrants for over a hundred years. Nothing new.

Old 12-06-2023, 12:36 AM

3,674 posts, read 8,660,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago-guy View Post
I honestly don't remember. I've used Chicago-n, Aztec_vamp I think

I remember Drover always being grumpy
Attila
Good to see you're still around. You never know in the internet world who's gone or still here.
Some of us are still here

Old 12-06-2023, 12:47 AM

3,674 posts, read 8,660,588 times
Quote:
Early migrations were handled completely differently then the sick, wide open limitless unmonitored borders of today. Back in the Ellis Island days, I remember my grandfather telling me about how one had to have,

*Papers with identification from their country of origin with verified ID
* Everyone went through a complete physical exam to confirm there was no illness or disease being brought in.
* One had to have a verified skill set or a job offer with paperwork confirming they had employment as soon as they were arriving.
* They had to provide confirmed information of where they had planned to live with arrangements already made (it was most common back then to be arriving to live with relatives or housing arranged by an employer.)

Now with this pathetic open border anyone can just walk across with whatever intention they might have saying whatever they wish and not get sent back. They can come with measles, chickenpox, viruses and more never being checked to prevent outbreaks. They can come with absolutely NO money, no place arranged to live, no job nor not even any specific skill. They can be a gang or cartel member. Murderer, thief, drug dealer and worse with no record verifiable. They can in some cases have a place to stay, food, water, health care and more. All on the taxpayers. They most often will never show up for whatever court date may or may not have been set for them to be considered for asylum. I'm sorry but this is NOT the way to allow for LEGAL immigration.
Right.

My ancestors were agricultural slave laborers in all but name, Italians amongst the Arabs, Jews, South/Central Americans, and Mexicans desperately seeking work at the same time your grandpappy was turning his head to cough.

No documents, no scans, nothing. You just "became" American, which is how the vast majority of Americans did it.

I would not hold tightly to Ellis Island. It's as much about eugenics, racism, and class as it is anything else. It also tells me that your grandfather was poor, because no one who mattered was ever asked for "paperwork" in the United States. Then as now, money is the only paperwork or degree you need.

I do agree, this is a goddamn nightmare. America is not and never has been kind, merciful, charitable, or even "good". This is a country of bull****, lies, snakeoil, and graft. The immigrant programs in England and Europe have also failed spectacularly, and for the same reason they're going to fail in America:

No money, no career, no opportunities. No integration with society. They're going to be shoved in a ghetto just like in Scandinavia or France, and it will go to hell here just like it did there. Society cannot demand anything from them, and our politicians have zero plans and no successful template for this situation.

All the same, welcome to the land of plenty, where we will poison food or watch you die if it means stabilizing market prices.

It has never been anything more, and it will never be anything more.

Old 12-07-2023, 10:24 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,458,320 times
Sadly, I think there is political motivation behind this. Democrats may feel that this is a way to secure future voters. However, this also creates a big risk unless the party puts the brakes on its leftward lurch. People fleeing from a failed communist government are not likely to be inclined to vote for similar policies once they become citizens of a new country. Republicans haven't done squat about the issue since Reagan signed the first amnesty bill in 1986, so they have cheap labor motivations. It's a hard problem to solve, and it's getting worse.

Old 12-07-2023, 01:50 PM

132 posts, read 67,233 times
As if there is NO limit to our generosity or funding available. I just can't believe it's gotten to this point, and worse yet continuing on a very downhill slide. One can only imagine where this country will be in a year. Let the chaos begin. Mark my words. A year from now Chicago will be further inundated with this disaster as well New York and LA.

Old 12-07-2023, 01:54 PM

816 posts, read 443,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
Right.

My ancestors were agricultural slave laborers in all but name, Italians amongst the Arabs, Jews, South/Central Americans, and Mexicans desperately seeking work at the same time your grandpappy was turning his head to cough.

No documents, no scans, nothing. You just "became" American, which is how the vast majority of Americans did it.

I would not hold tightly to Ellis Island. It's as much about eugenics, racism, and class as it is anything else. It also tells me that your grandfather was poor, because no one who mattered was ever asked for "paperwork" in the United States. Then as now, money is the only paperwork or degree you need.

I do agree, this is a goddamn nightmare. America is not and never has been kind, merciful, charitable, or even "good". This is a country of bull****, lies, snakeoil, and graft. The immigrant programs in England and Europe have also failed spectacularly, and for the same reason they're going to fail in America:

No money, no career, no opportunities. No integration with society. They're going to be shoved in a ghetto just like in Scandinavia or France, and it will go to hell here just like it did there. Society cannot demand anything from them, and our politicians have zero plans and no successful template for this situation.

All the same, welcome to the land of plenty, where we will poison food or watch you die if it means stabilizing market prices.

It has never been anything more, and it will never be anything more.
Another happy customer...

Old 12-08-2023, 06:42 AM

9,530 posts, read 16,512,408 times
Quote:
As if there is NO limit to our generosity or funding available. I just can't believe it's gotten to this point, and worse yet continuing on a very downhill slide. One can only imagine where this country will be in a year. Let the chaos begin. Mark my words. A year from now Chicago will be further inundated with this disaster as well New York and LA.
Don't forget Massachusetts another state that allowed this mess to happen. There are migrants in just about every town that has motels now. When those were filled up the state went after schools, and convention centers. All under contract for an indefinite amount of time to shelter and feed migrants 3 meals a day. That's on top of their food Stamps and monthly allowance, drivers license. Our stupid Governor even came on TV asking us to offer our vacant rooms in our homes to shelter the migrants.

I'm sorry and this is for all those that compare todays migrants with yesterdays immigrants. The migrants cannot and I will never compare them with the immigrants of the past. The difference is we are not the same country now. We are filled up with a ton of problems. The immigrants of before had to make it on their own from day one. The migrants of now are being treated as if they were entitled to free everything with no end in sight of freebies. They are taking advantage of us and it really shows up in small towns. Towns taken over by the states to literally take care of the migrants. It is blatantly abusive for the Federal and State Govts to treat US citizens this way. All of this is being funded by taxpayers against the will of many of us. For all these towns or cities to have to beg Govts, that caused this mess for funding is a slap on the face.

Personally I'd love to hear that an endless procession of migrant buses, are dropping them off at the White House.

Old 12-08-2023, 07:20 AM

78,366 posts, read 60,566,039 times
It's one thing to have the doors open, but it's another when you can't afford to keep them in reasonable accomodations nor neglect your own cities poor in the meanwhile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago