Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2023, 06:16 AM

78,347 posts, read 60,539,645 times

Advertisements

They had an angry alderman meeting in Chicago last week about allowing a referendum on repealing Chicago's sanctuary status.

There are 50 Aldermen, none are republican so let that sink in.

News crews talking to several black residents upset that they're getting no help with housing and other issues and non-citizens are getting all this money spent on them.

Valid points imo and unlike the normal discussions on this topic they can't just pull the usual tactic of dismissing complaints as "racism". Just wait until the cold weather hits, it's going to get ugly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2023, 07:05 AM

1,067 posts, read 914,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
They had an angry alderman meeting in Chicago last week about allowing a referendum on repealing Chicago's sanctuary status.

News crews talking to several black residents upset that they're getting no help with housing and other issues and non-citizens are getting all this money spent on them.

Valid points imo and unlike the normal discussions on this topic they can't just pull the usual tactic of dismissing complaints as "racism". Just wait until the cold weather hits, it's going to get ugly.
Crazy there are no republican alderman.

Also crazy that black residents are still asking for handouts. I would prefer to swap them out for hispanic immigrants with at least the hope for a better Chicago culture and improved south and west side. Source - every black neighborhood in Chicago.

Old 11-07-2023, 09:31 AM

7,644 posts, read 4,591,848 times
The change needs to come from the Democratic Party. It doesn't work if one party wants to follow the rules and the other wants to completely ignore them and make things sanctuaries.

Old 11-07-2023, 09:46 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,455,231 times
Quote:

This was highly disappointing to me. Democrats and others were rightfully horrified by 1/6 and the threat it posed to democracy. The grandstanding about it went on and on, and continues to date. Now here we are, physically restraining legislators so they could not only not vote, but not vote on measure to put something on a ballot

Despicable and embarrassing for our party. Do better.

Old 11-07-2023, 10:04 AM

6,421 posts, read 7,662,941 times
Default the tail wagging the dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtcbnd03 View Post

Also crazy that black residents are still asking for handouts. I would prefer to swap them out for hispanic immigrants with at least the hope for a better Chicago culture and improved south and west side. Source - every black neighborhood in Chicago.
Interesting how the illegals have thousands of dollars to pay the cartels but cry poverty once they intrude on American soil. After decades of seeing welfare, affirmative action and now "reparations" (no restitution for burning out cities) is it any surprise that illegals also want a piece of the American taxpayer pie? Is there any requirement for them to pay us back for their handouts and their impact on our schools, hospitals and neighborhoods? Those who have a lifetime of handouts will only want to protect that way of life so expect more fear biting from them.

Old 11-07-2023, 11:14 AM

3,444 posts, read 3,367,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtcbnd03 View Post

Certain aldermembers/aldermen are Democrats in name only(and are unofficially Republican), the way they often vote like. I.e. Napolitano, Sposato, Gardner to name a few examples. I'm pretty sure one of Napolitano's predecessors(I think Doherty), was a Republican when he served in the 2000s/early 2010s.

I honestly think on this issue that all cities(IF we lived in a more ideal world) would all share in the burden of taking in migrants, and that it shouldn't only be dumped on say LA, Denver, Chicago, and others that did this sanctuary city label. Yes cities and states even on the Mexico border(looking at Texas especially, ********* Gov. Abbott), should have to help on this issue.

Old 11-12-2023, 04:13 PM

21,915 posts, read 9,486,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
Great video - TY!
Wow.

Old 11-13-2023, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
Certain aldermembers/aldermen are Democrats in name only(and are unofficially Republican), the way they often vote like. I.e. Napolitano, Sposato, Gardner to name a few examples. I'm pretty sure one of Napolitano's predecessors(I think Doherty), was a Republican when he served in the 2000s/early 2010s.

I honestly think on this issue that all cities(IF we lived in a more ideal world) would all share in the burden of taking in migrants, and that it shouldn't only be dumped on say LA, Denver, Chicago, and others that did this sanctuary city label. Yes cities and states even on the Mexico border(looking at Texas especially, ********* Gov. Abbott), should have to help on this issue.
Texas has been complaing about being overwhelmed for quite a while.

So, once they ship out to other areas...whom are then in the same boat...you blame Texas?

Seems like a lot of people are all about something until they have to pay some of the tab.

P.S. I'm an Illinois resident. In fact, I benefit greatly from illegal immigration due to my job being unaffected by them and getting cheaper food and services. However, I recognize they're exploited and suppress laborer wages and private unions. Heck, Ceasar Chavez was against illegal labor and today his farm workers union has shrunk by 90%.

Old 11-13-2023, 05:25 PM

3,444 posts, read 3,367,704 times
Quote:
Texas has been complaing about being overwhelmed for quite a while.

So, once they ship out to other areas...whom are then in the same boat...you blame Texas?

Seems like a lot of people are all about something until they have to pay some of the tab.

P.S. I'm an Illinois resident. In fact, I benefit greatly from illegal immigration due to my job being unaffected by them and getting cheaper food and services. However, I recognize they're exploited and suppress laborer wages and private unions. Heck, Ceasar Chavez was against illegal labor and today his farm workers union has shrunk by 90%.
I'm not only blaming Abbott. Other states like Florida(per their governor DeSantis), have been bussing migrants out of the state. So this isn't only the fault of Greg Abbott.

As I was clearly saying in my earlier post, I think all areas(regardless if it's blue or red leaning) should be trying to help house the migrants. And that they shouldn't all be dumped into blue leaning areas, regardless if that local city or county or state passed a sanctuary city(or county or state law). I mean would you want all migrants dumped into one area? I think not. And in the first place, immigration laws should be enforced.

Also wow, I didn't realize the farm workers union had shrunk by something like 90%. A little surprising to think about. I thought that union still had a lot of members?

Old 11-14-2023, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
I'm not only blaming Abbott. Other states like Florida(per their governor DeSantis), have been bussing migrants out of the state. So this isn't only the fault of Greg Abbott.

As I was clearly saying in my earlier post, I think all areas(regardless if it's blue or red leaning) should be trying to help house the migrants. And that they shouldn't all be dumped into blue leaning areas, regardless if that local city or county or state passed a sanctuary city(or county or state law). I mean would you want all migrants dumped into one area? I think not. And in the first place, immigration laws should be enforced.

Also wow, I didn't realize the farm workers union had shrunk by something like 90%. A little surprising to think about. I thought that union still had a lot of members?
All I'm saying is that people seemed content when they were "dumped" by the federal government into states like Texas and Florida. They made the same complaints you are making, that they had an unfair burden that others weren't carrying...so they shipped them out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago