Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2023, 04:56 AM

253 posts, read 122,741 times

Advertisements

What would Jesus do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2023, 08:35 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,457,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I think a part of it is also the various political officials that have mocked some of the other states for claiming they were overwhelmed.

Just look at this thread, we have a federal process, overwhelmed states and posters are blaming those states for shipping some to other areas.

Then, ironically, those cities are then looking for other places to ship them to....but in this whole big mess, people still just have to heap blame along political lines.

If the federal govt. is going to allow a big influx, they should have the infrastructure to support the program instead of just dumping them but I think that's been political as well.

I'm increasingly concerned that this winter is going to be a disaster in some of these camps.
I go back to my original point and theme I've been articulating since I started posting here in November 2006 - isolation is an insidious evil that may well end up being our downfall.

When you do not have to deal with the consequences of things, be that Chicago homicides impacting mostly black neighborhoods, underfunded schools due to our unconstitutional property tax based funding model, illegal immigration, disorderly asylum process, manufacturing jobs going to China, whatever the case may be, it is simply out of sight, out of mind, and nothing gets changed. That is especially bad given that our political decisionmakers and policymakers tend to be more affluent and are themselves isolated from the consequences of these things.

Years ago, I proposed borderless integrated school systems (BISS). That would take a lot of political fortitude as you'd have to make it so the wealthy could not move away or buy their way out of it via private schools. That one way to potentially reach more true equality. Of course, that will never in 1 million years happen. But you have to confront those who can make a difference with the problem, then it'll have a chance of getting solved.

The one thing I like about this crisis is that it is hitting home in most Chicago (and other big city) neighborhoods, so people across demographic lines are seeing it and dealing with the consequences. Of course, the cynic in me understands that eventually, they'll find a way to sweep it under the rug, with the rug being poor neighborhoods and hapless suburbs with little political clout. But maybe by then some people will have woken up to the policies they are voting for.

Old 11-21-2023, 10:07 AM

2,191 posts, read 1,849,701 times
This issue seems to be slowing down a bit, IMO. Or maybe it's just me.

I drive past the police station on Larabee (just south of Clyborn) pretty often, and that tent city has grown from 30 people with luggage to a full out small town. But I haven't heard about more and more buses arriving every day. Is that still happening or has that finally slowed down or stopped?

Old 11-21-2023, 11:43 AM

131 posts, read 67,233 times
In case you haven't noticed your mayor has given notice to the migrants they can only inhabit the police stations or other facilities for a maximum of 60 days. If you're lucky, they, like some of the Venezuelan's you'll read about in the news are heading BACK to their native homes. Saying "there's nothing here for us"......gee what a surprise. We could only get so lucky.

Old 11-21-2023, 12:02 PM

52 posts, read 24,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBOTfan View Post
What would Jesus do?
Middle Eastern Jesus would feed them. Republican Jesus would tell them to GTFOH.

Old 11-21-2023, 12:29 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,457,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UniversalTraveler View Post
In case you haven't noticed your mayor has given notice to the migrants they can only inhabit the police stations or other facilities for a maximum of 60 days. If you're lucky, they, like some of the Venezuelan's you'll read about in the news are heading BACK to their native homes. Saying "there's nothing here for us"......gee what a surprise. We could only get so lucky.
Step 1. Step 2, south and near west suburbs, LOL! Just watch. There will be more uproar this time versus the 1990s and 2000s when Chicago's poor were being quietly (and tacitly encouraged to be) exiled there, but it'll happen. Johnson cannot politically afford to let this fester and alienate his south and west side bases, which are livid over this. Potential challengers such as Willie Wilson are all over him about this.

Old 11-26-2023, 07:14 AM

78,364 posts, read 60,556,941 times
Quote:
What would Jesus do?
I'm trying to decide if you're making a snarky jab at religion or a funny joke, intentional or otherwise.

Old 11-26-2023, 01:36 PM

253 posts, read 122,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I'm trying to decide if you're making a snarky jab at religion or a funny joke, intentional or otherwise.
I see - far too often - people who very emphatically place themselves in the "christian" camp, yet their rhetoric on certain topics flies in the face of that proclamation.

So glad I'm a neo-pagan.

Old 11-26-2023, 01:59 PM

4,630 posts, read 3,249,261 times
Jesus is just alright, with me.

Jesus is just alright, oh yeah.

Jesus is just alright, with me.

Jesus is just alright.

Old 11-27-2023, 05:22 PM

52 posts, read 24,340 times
Quote:
I see - far too often - people who very emphatically place themselves in the "christian" camp, yet their rhetoric on certain topics flies in the face of that proclamation.

So glad I'm a neo-pagan.
“I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.”
― Mahatma Gandhi
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago