Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2023, 01:08 AM

253 posts, read 199,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
Lol. Yeah it's been a while since I've posted consistently. maybe 2012-13.

But lately I've been back but lurking

What was you old account username if you don't mind me asking?
I honestly don't remember. I've used Chicago-n, Aztec_vamp I think

I remember Drover always being grumpy
Attila
Good to see you're still around. You never know in the internet world who's gone or still here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2023, 09:30 AM

4,655 posts, read 3,264,125 times
Drover! I remember that name, too.

Old 12-02-2023, 10:28 AM

52 posts, read 24,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
Why do you Republicans blame everything on Obama when he's been out of office for the better part if a decade? This country was headed towards this path well before he even became a senator.
Bashing Chicago and Obama is a favorite past time among Republicans.

Old 12-02-2023, 11:05 AM

Rusty Nailz, I don't identify as a Republican, but boy do us Milwaukeeans Chicago bash!

Old 12-02-2023, 02:57 PM

119 posts, read 86,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
Drover! I remember that name, too.
Oh yea anyone know whatever happened to that guy?

Old 12-02-2023, 05:04 PM

Kraftask, good to see YOU here!

Old 12-03-2023, 05:59 PM

11,795 posts, read 5,801,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Texan View Post
To bad the US did not send your ancestors home when they arrived. Then you would not suffer so much at the hands of liberals.

Maybe you should go “home”.
They came through Ellis Island with a sponsor and had to prove they had a skill wherein they would not be a drain on society.

No need to act so childish - I'm just stating the facts that the way that one sought out asylum was changed by the Democrats. No American voted on this change.

Old 12-03-2023, 08:00 PM

52 posts, read 24,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
They came through Ellis Island with a sponsor and had to prove they had a skill wherein they would not be a drain on society.

No need to act so childish - I'm just stating the facts that the way that one sought out asylum was changed by the Democrats. No American voted on this change.
If they came in during the peak then it's certainly not true as passports or visas or any type of paperwork was required to get into the USA?

Old 12-04-2023, 04:38 AM

304 posts, read 239,013 times
There is some irony that cities that proclaimed themselves sanctuaries are now being given the opportunity to actually BE one.

The immigration issue is complex, and I have mixed feelings about it, but if you're going to Talk the Talk you need to Walk the Walk.

Many times it's easy to say "coulda woulda shoulda" without having to actually follow through on that.

Old 12-04-2023, 11:07 PM

133 posts, read 68,266 times
Early migrations were handled completely differently then the sick, wide open limitless unmonitored borders of today. Back in the Ellis Island days, I remember my grandfather telling me about how one had to have,

*Papers with identification from their country of origin with verified ID
* Everyone went through a complete physical exam to confirm there was no illness or disease being brought in.
* One had to have a verified skill set or a job offer with paperwork confirming they had employment as soon as they were arriving.
* They had to provide confirmed information of where they had planned to live with arrangements already made (it was most common back then to be arriving to live with relatives or housing arranged by an employer.)

Now with this pathetic open border anyone can just walk across with whatever intention they might have saying whatever they wish and not get sent back. They can come with measles, chickenpox, viruses and more never being checked to prevent outbreaks. They can come with absolutely NO money, no place arranged to live, no job nor not even any specific skill. They can be a gang or cartel member. Murderer, thief, drug dealer and worse with no record verifiable. They can in some cases have a place to stay, food, water, health care and more. All on the taxpayers. They most often will never show up for whatever court date may or may not have been set for them to be considered for asylum. I'm sorry but this is NOT the way to allow for LEGAL immigration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago