Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2023, 12:12 PM
Status: "Hello Darlin, Nice to see you - Conway Twitty" (set 17 days ago)

791 posts, read 378,070 times

Advertisements

g-damnit - now I wont be able to drive to Ohare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2023, 06:34 PM

3,064 posts, read 3,330,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeisureSLarry View Post
g-damnit - now I wont be able to drive to Ohare.
You also need to face 2 more years of construction on the central Tri State from the I-290/I-88 junction north to Balmoral just outside of O'Hare. Then you have new construction of behind O'Hare new tollway connecting someday with Elgin-O'Hare Tollway.

O'Hare badly needs to improve people mover to new Metra & parking garage location.

Old 01-01-2024, 10:35 AM

9,996 posts, read 5,698,174 times
I still haven't worked out how the "western entrance" to O'Hare is going to work. So you get to the western entrance, and then... where does it go? How does it get there? Or is it just going to be bunch of parking rather than actual entrances to departure/arrival terminals?

Old 01-02-2024, 09:28 AM

3,933 posts, read 6,848,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
I still haven't worked out how the "western entrance" to O'Hare is going to work. So you get to the western entrance, and then... where does it go? How does it get there? Or is it just going to be bunch of parking rather than actual entrances to departure/arrival terminals?
It's a western branch of the highway that connects to 294 on one end and 90 on the other. This allows for traffic flow around the airport and connects some of the closer western suburbs to a more direct route to the airport.

If that's what you're asking about...

Old 01-03-2024, 10:56 AM

No, I'm talking about the actual western entrance to O'Hare. All that map above shows is a new alternative to get to the western edge of the airport (390 extension, which is about 95% done) and a new western bypass around the airport (I-490).

But this map shows entrances and exits from both 390 and I-490 to and from the west side of the airport.

Where are those ramps going? A new departure/arrival loop for passengers? New parking infrastructure? Or just a bunch of cargo/logistics infrastructure?

Old 01-03-2024, 11:31 AM

3,933 posts, read 6,848,034 times
Quote:
No, I'm talking about the actual western entrance to O'Hare. All that map above shows is a new alternative to get to the western edge of the airport (390 extension, which is about 95% done) and a new western bypass around the airport (I-490).

But this map shows entrances and exits from both 390 and I-490 to and from the west side of the airport.

Where are those ramps going? A new departure/arrival loop for passengers? New parking infrastructure? Or just a bunch of cargo/logistics infrastructure?
Got it! My thinking is those ramps will primarily be for freight carriers and employees. It appears to be connecting to the existing irving park road and a couple of underground tunnels which will likely lead to the fedex shipping center and other freight carriers.

Old 01-03-2024, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
Got it! My thinking is those ramps will primarily be for freight carriers and employees. It appears to be connecting to the existing irving park road and a couple of underground tunnels which will likely lead to the fedex shipping center and other freight carriers.
So... everyone else will still have to deal with the 190 bottleneck to get to the terminals. But I guess you'll get to the bottleneck a few minutes sooner if you're coming in from the west suburbs, so there's that.

Old 01-03-2024, 08:16 PM

3,064 posts, read 3,330,747 times
Quote:
So... everyone else will still have to deal with the 190 bottleneck to get to the terminals. But I guess you'll get to the bottleneck a few minutes sooner if you're coming in from the west suburbs, so there's that.
I think your only hope is there will be more traffic going behind O'Hare to get from 294 to 90. From 90 into the airport fight with 190 traffic.

To do what you want may require some kind of ring road on the O'Hare property. Maybe the air freight can go that way. Other plans would require a tunnel to be built under O'Hare. If they ever do high speed rail connection (something similar to Orlando Brightline) would require tunnel to be built.

Something O'Hare does not have is an alternate way to get out if/when bad wreck blocks 190. If you can't get to Manheim you could be stuck.

Old 01-04-2024, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWoodle View Post
I think your only hope is there will be more traffic going behind O'Hare to get from 294 to 90. From 90 into the airport fight with 190 traffic.

To do what you want may require some kind of ring road on the O'Hare property. Maybe the air freight can go that way. Other plans would require a tunnel to be built under O'Hare. If they ever do high speed rail connection (something similar to Orlando Brightline) would require tunnel to be built.

Something O'Hare does not have is an alternate way to get out if/when bad wreck blocks 190. If you can't get to Manheim you could be stuck.
Yeah, I imagine sending some through-traffic around the west side of the airport will help relieve some of the bunching up that inevitably happens at the current I-90/I-294 interchange, as people just looking to get to the other side of town have to fight people trying to get to the airport for access to the same exchange ramp.

I'm disappointed there's still only going to be one access road to the terminals but also understand the infrastructure requirements of doing anything more than what's being done now would be absolutely astounding.

Old 01-04-2024, 08:24 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,238,593 times
The idea is that you will be able to get off at Irving Park Road and travel around the airport to the terminals.

But the idea is also to divert truck traffic away from 294 so that it is less congested. And then you can still take the tollway to the airport and it will be less congested and therefore a more pleasant trip.

Most truck traffic in Chicago is just going through. Anything we can do to shunt that traffic away from those who live there is better for everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago