Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2023, 08:04 AM

427 posts, read 430,701 times

Advertisements

I come back to Chicago and see that the Hinsdale Oasis is gone. The only thing left is a tiny Mobil/7-Eleven! Really?!? So they are widening the Tri-State (I-294), but can’t replace it?!? This is really unacceptable. You pay to use the tollway, at bare minimum keep the amenities! This is part of the crapifying of everything. Not happy!

Last edited by RJ8089; 12-15-2023 at 08:05 AM.. Reason: Didn’t finish and grammar correct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2023, 08:08 AM

3,918 posts, read 6,829,377 times
I didn't know anybody cared. Those Oasis' have always been extremely overpriced compared to just getting off the highway. All of them are in areas where you can easily get off find something to eat and some gas and get back on quickly. They always seemed redundant to me.

Also, just an FYI, the O'Hare oasis was removed to make way for the interchange that will connect the west side of O'Hare to both 90/294 and 390.

Old 12-15-2023, 09:41 AM

9,974 posts, read 5,669,596 times
I literally can't remember the last time I stopped at one of the oases. The gas stations and all the shops overcharged for everything because they had a semi-captive clientele.

Old 12-17-2023, 12:45 PM

43 posts, read 20,991 times
As you haven't been around, did you also notice that there is no one manning the tollbooths either? Do you miss those too?

Old 12-19-2023, 11:23 AM

2,191 posts, read 1,847,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
I literally can't remember the last time I stopped at one of the oases. The gas stations and all the shops overcharged for everything because they had a semi-captive clientele.
Totally true. The captive audience.

I used the O'Hare one a few times as a de facto cell phone lot. I'd just hang there, get the call, and head over, takes 10 minutes. But gas? Never.

Old 12-21-2023, 06:48 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,230,252 times
The main reason the oases were built was to give people a place to refuel on long drives. With cars having longer ranges/better fuel efficiency, it's rare that anyone needs to refuel at an oases, even if they are traveling from one end of the metro area to the other.

I do miss the big restrooms--my fuel tank may last longer but my bladder doesn't!

I don't like the tiny gas stations and their bathrooms....but I'm not sure if those are permanent or if they are temporary until the road construction is finished.

Old 12-21-2023, 07:06 PM

3,037 posts, read 3,304,919 times
The oasis at Hinsdale & O'Hare will be gone forever. Some others may be on the block.

Now they need to remove the cash toll lanes.

Old 12-25-2023, 08:07 PM

3,439 posts, read 3,366,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWoodle View Post
The oasis at Hinsdale & O'Hare will be gone forever. Some others may be on the block.

Now they need to remove the cash toll lanes.
Illinois Tollway decided in the early part of the pandemic to not take cash anymore, and do all electronic tolling. Unless there was some announcement about bringing cash booths back, that I missed.

Still are a few oasis buildings left(i.e. Lake Forest, Lincoln near South Holland, one in Belvidere, but I wonder how much longer the existing buildings will be in use over the tollway? Have this weird feeling they may not last much longer, if the IL tollway widens more of their expressways in the future. But what do I know?

I know a few of their oasises don't have a building over the expressway, such as DeKalb, Des Plaines, and Hinsdale.

Old 12-26-2023, 11:40 AM

3,918 posts, read 6,829,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
Illinois Tollway decided in the early part of the pandemic to not take cash anymore, and do all electronic tolling. Unless there was some announcement about bringing cash booths back, that I missed.

Still are a few oasis buildings left(i.e. Lake Forest, Lincoln near South Holland, one in Belvidere, but I wonder how much longer the existing buildings will be in use over the tollway? Have this weird feeling they may not last much longer, if the IL tollway widens more of their expressways in the future. But what do I know?

I know a few of their oasises don't have a building over the expressway, such as DeKalb, Des Plaines, and Hinsdale.
I believe the poster you're responding too was referring to the actual lanes that are always closed off because there are no manned tollbooths anymore.

It's silly that we have cashless tolling but we still have gates and lanes galore with most of them blocked off except for a couple.

Old 12-27-2023, 12:41 PM

9,974 posts, read 5,669,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
I believe the poster you're responding too was referring to the actual lanes that are always closed off because there are no manned tollbooths anymore.

It's silly that we have cashless tolling but we still have gates and lanes galore with most of them blocked off except for a couple.
It's cheaper to just leave them there unmanned than to remove them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago