Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2010, 03:42 PM

361 posts, read 1,088,339 times

Advertisements

It is located in Humboldt Park, directly right on the corner of Kedzie and North Ave, across the street from the National Guard building in the park on Kedzie, and Rosa's bakery on North Ave- the apartments are just above the Family Dollar store on North Ave. When I was living out in Humboldt Park for a while, I was living in this building. I am wondering if I was living in a Section 8 housing complex, I didn't know it at the time, but the more I think about it, the more I am thinking it was Section 8 Housing.

I am wondering, how would I have known if it was? I was paying 520 a month for a studio. There were alot of hard working latino families there but also some small amount of gang activity. If anyone could tell me if they know it was Section 8 housing, or believe it is, I would appreciate the info. I'm really just curious more than anything else. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2010, 03:44 PM

1,966 posts, read 6,078,629 times
What is Section 8 housing?
I thought Section 8 was a voucher program that allowed any willing renter/voucher holder pair to come to an agreement on the open market. Didn't know there was such a thing as a "section 8 building", just section 8 tenants.

Old 04-07-2010, 03:51 PM

361 posts, read 1,088,339 times
project buildings aka the PJ's. Not all of em look like Cabrini Green or the Robert Taylor Homes.

Old 04-07-2010, 03:58 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,447,540 times
No, that is not a "project". Section 8 vouchers allow up to a certain amount per month for rent ($1,000 I believe) any amount over that would be payed by the tenant. So, yes, section 8 recipients could have been living in that building, but the building would not be a project.

Old 04-07-2010, 07:57 PM

988 posts, read 3,255,943 times
To sort out the confusion, there are "project-based" section 8 buildings meaning that a portion or the total amount of units in a given building are on section 8. It means that the entire building is governed by HUD's rules and regulations and must abide by their standards. The Section 8 vouchers are tenant-based meaning that they have their own vouchers and can take them anywhere Section 8 is accepted including houses,etc. Section 8 is NOT public housing. Public Housing is known as the projects. Many Section 8 tenant-based complexes are just as bad (crime-wise) as public housing projects though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago