Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 08:20 AM
Per Per started this thread

2 posts, read 11,124 times

Advertisements

My family and I (wife and 2 sons) will move from Stockholm, Sweden to Chicago in the 3rd quarter in 2009.
Since my knowledge of Chicago is limited, I wonder if someone can help me identifying a good/safe area to live in Chicago.

I will work in Tinley Park but we prefer to live nearby or in the city/ down town area.
Some of the "requirements" are:
-Rent: Maximum 3500$ including parking and minimum 3 BR / 2BR
-Good public schools in the area (7 and 10 years old boys)
-1 hour by car to work is ok.
- If possible a university (civil engineering) nearby, since my wife will probably study meanwhile she is trying to get a job.

/Per
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2009, 08:27 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,184,331 times
I'd check out Dearborn Park, Morgan Park, Beverly and the South Loop areas if you wanted to be in the city. In the suburbs, look into Homewood or Flossmoor. There are multiple thread on those sites on this forum.

Old 01-02-2009, 08:41 AM

184 posts, read 766,330 times
There are no one hour commutes to Tinley Park from any Chicago neighborhood that I would recommend to someone who is new to all the urban pitfalls of Chicago's south side.

Old 01-02-2009, 01:32 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,370,617 times
Lots of options to wiegh. As the kids will NEED school immediately that would be a huge factor. The other desire, to have access to a university to continue studies in Civil Engineering is a big factor as well. OP did not mention WHERE he'd be working -- would be critical to know the commute radius. Finally the cost factor is quite nice, but the demands are still pretty large: 3 bedroom rentals are not typical in most areas, single family house might be best option...

As far as schools my standard line is that for GUARANTEED seat in a school with very good performance the City of Chicago is NOT an option. It might be possible to luck into a situation and it is CERTAINLY feasible for parents with a toddler to learn the ins & outs to get good odds of ending up in an acceptable situation, but for relocation NOT FEASIBLE. Pretty much have to consider the 'burbs. If you are familar with Chicago region there are multiple COMMUTER TRAIN LINES that make it feasible to commute to the Loop (Chicago's central office area) in well under an hour from quite a distance. Towns along the BNSF like Naperville have well regarded schools. Similar is true for other towns east of there, basically to about Brookfield. Similar situation exists along Union Pacific West line -- though you probably want to stay east of about Wheaton for the best commute options. Nice thing about either Wheaton or Naperville in your situation is the presence of IIT's Rice Campus or the NIU Center. You may be able to take some classes in Civil Enginner at those campuses.

The other option would be UIC, which is west of the Loop, but still well within one hour of most the suburbs listed during normal commuting periods.

Alternatively, the are suburbs to the north/nw that present a commute via Metra and access to UIC or other oportunities for studying Civil Engineering, such as at Northwestern U in Evanston. Of course admissions and costs would be different at a private university than one supported by the State.

Metra / BNSF Railway Schedules
Metra / Union Pacific North Monday - Friday Inbound
Metra / Union Pacific District West Line Schedules
Metra / Milwaukee District North Weekday Inbound

UIC - Department of Civil and Materials Engineering
IIT Rice Campus | About
Off-Campus Credit Programs - NIU - Off-campus Academics
Northwestern University - Civil and Environmental Engineering

Old 01-02-2009, 01:44 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,196,693 times
Pretty rough since Tinly Park is on the southern edge of the metro area, and the areas you'd be more interested in if you want to live in the city would be towards the north side. Even if you went to Oak Park or a nice urban suburban area, you're still going to have trouble getting from Oak Park to Tinly Park without weaving around on expressways that don't run north south as you'd want.

I'm assuming where you work isn't near a Metra commuter rail line in Tinley Park? If that was the case you'd have a lot more options in the city.

Old 01-02-2009, 02:29 PM

Geez -- how'd I miss the Tinley Park requirement.

That is a monkey wrench -- makes the north / nw stuff very much useless. Ditto for anything on the UP West line. Or even Northwestern edu.

Naperville makes some sense, as do the other towns along the BNSF. At least that would give wife some opportunity to commute to UIC -- not ideal, but perhaps best compromise.

Old 01-02-2009, 07:48 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,609,770 times
I would go for Oak Lawn (the farther south and west the better), Palos Hills, Palos Heights, Oak Forest and Lemont if you decide on living in the burbs.

The thing about the city is there are not very many good public grade schools (especially on the South side and near and around downtown),you would have to live on the North or Northwest side of the city, but your commute would be horrendous.

Old 01-03-2009, 04:18 AM

2 posts, read 11,201 times
Per...
Depending on what you feel are your MOST important criteria...ALL are safe places and within a 1 hour commute...

Good schools for the boys: Palos Park Homer Glen Lemont Darien Burr Ridge Hinsdale La Grange Western Springs Clarendon Hills

A "downtown" type of town: Lemont Hinsdale La Grange Western Springs

University for your wife: The closest would be Lewis Univ. in Joliet, Benedictine Univ. in Lisle, Elmhurst College in Elmhurst. None of these towns are within a one hour commute to Tinley,so you probably do not want to live there. If your wife is willing to take a train into Chicago, she will have more educational opportunities there.

The Rush Hour commute around Chicago can be bad, but if you live in a town north of Tinley, you will be doing what is called a reverse commute, and drive to work southbound while all the congested traffic is going northbound!

You might also do a Mapquest search. If your job is anywhere near Interstate 80 (I80), follow that westbound to Interstate 355 northbound . The area around the towns of Homer Glen and Lemont should be about a 20 minute (reverse) commute if your job is near Harlem Ave. and I 80.
Now find Route 83 north from Tinley. The towns around Burr Ridge Willowbrook Darien and Hinsdale should be about a 45 minute commute.

Housing cost will be higher in Hinsdale, Burr Ridge, Homer Glen, lower in Willowbrook, Darien, La Grange. All areas have great schools and are community minded and safe for growing happy healthy kids. Welcome, and Good Luck!

Old 01-03-2009, 12:24 PM

Lots of "lumping" by Morovia.

I would break out the schools and towns quite differently.

Also, engineering studies are not offered everywhere.

Home prices are somewhat hard to equate to rentals -- in even very pricey towns there are a handful of rentals that are far more affordable, but of course they will have negatives..

Old 01-04-2009, 11:11 AM

37 posts, read 169,148 times
If you want suburbs search for Aroura & cheaper house family atmosphere. If you want a more city like suburb Evanston has many condos in downtown open. Inner city, search for Lincoln Park, Edgewater, Near North Side, Andersonville, Wrigleyville,Old Town,Indian Boundary Park Area, or Maxwell st. development. They are building condos like mad in those inner city areas and in Evanston, there sure 2 b room. Apartments are usually open 2.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago