U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 05:46 PM

7 posts, read 16,338 times

Advertisements

My fiance & I are HOPING to move to the Phoenix/Tempe area at the end of the month and have come across a roadblock. Any insight would do a lot of good, as we hope to leave as planned instead of stay here another 6 months.
To break it down a bit, we have 2 vehicles, but only one can definitely make the drive. The other will need to be towed there. Uhaul is the most expensive at $1500 for one way. So thats problem #1. We're assuming the commute is 24 hrs but is there a possibility that this time can be shortened somehow? Does it have to be that expensive to rent a truck and tow? Thats not even counting gas either.
it seems that most people take the same route there, whereas I'm trying to see if it would be better going west then south, instead of southwest then west...

Please let us know your ideas and suggestions.
Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2008, 11:00 AM

191 posts, read 576,390 times
Default Your dilemma

Why don't you sell the vehicle you don't think you can drive here instead? You will save the exorbitant tow fee. There are tons of used vehicles in AZ that you could pick up. It might me a good opportunity to purchase a super fuel efficient vehicle since everyone seems to commute here.

Old 06-10-2008, 04:49 PM

569 posts, read 1,708,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesweetazhome View Post
Why don't you sell the vehicle you don't think you can drive here instead? You will save the exorbitant tow fee. There are tons of used vehicles in AZ that you could pick up. It might me a good opportunity to purchase a super fuel efficient vehicle since everyone seems to commute here.
Actually, that might not be a bad idea. The older used cars in Arizona and California are in WAY better condition than equivalant Chicago cars for obvious reasons. Weather related wear & tear. Try to find a used mid 90's car that isnt a rusted s*** box out here. You might be able to find great value out in Arizona!

Old 06-10-2008, 05:11 PM

38,704 posts, read 95,688,089 times
As others have intoned... if you're not sure your car can make it there, you might be better to not even bring it. One has to wonder if a car in that perilous a condition would hold up well in the Arizona heat.

Old 06-11-2008, 04:54 PM

1,889 posts, read 6,845,338 times
Hi. From one that has made the move before. We did it about 4 years ago. We sold one car, and drove the other out, had Bekins move the furniture. I would NOT do that again. Contrary to the obvious idea that you can get a great cheap car, which you probably can. It is some serious work and effort to find a good used car. Driving all around the valley when you are unfamiliar with it sounds like a great way to sight see, but gets old quick when you are on a mission. Especially if you need the use of the second car right away.

The other thing we didn't count on was the business of used cars. Regular people make a side income rescuing then selling older cars. You obviously must have it inspected which is another cost. So you drive over to some neighborhood you know nothing about - meeting who knows what.

We ended up with a very cute on the outside shiny red '99 Honda Accord 2 door coupe, 85Kmiles and paid $7000 cash for it, we thought it was a good deal. We ended putting atleast 1k into it, and still there were problems.

If I had to do it again I would have paid the money to have the car transported by one of the many car transportation services. At the time the cost was about $600-$700.
Smith Auto Transport comes to mind, but I know there are tons of other ones.

If you have lots of extra money, and don't mind the search then do it. But know that if you are on a budget, and/or pressed for time, you may want to reconsider, especially if you already have a good reliable second car.

Also, just be careful with uhaul. I cannot tell you how many overheated, broken down uhauls we saw on the drive to and from Chicago. Yes, they were mostly uhaul brands and not others.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 12-21-2008, 12:28 PM

2 posts, read 4,735 times
Hello. i tried some big time auto haulers and they were not good. there was one transport company that stands out. very efficient and ontime delivery. they are Atlanta Auto Hauler , 678-485-3976
they deliver nationwide . give them a call.

Old 12-21-2008, 01:22 PM
mh7

102 posts, read 309,159 times
The St. Louis (via 55) -> Oklahoma City(via 44) -> Flagstaff(via 40) -> Phoenix(via 17) route is pretty much the only one that makes sense this time of year as it has the best probability of avoiding delays due to bad weather (in addition to being the shortest route). Its two pretty solid days of driving, I did the reverse drive a few years ago when I moved back to Chicago from Phoenix.

I would recommend leaving Chicago early in the morning, driving to Amarillo, TX, spend the night there & drive the rest of the way the next day.

Old 12-21-2008, 01:45 PM

300 posts, read 892,446 times
Aren't you better off just driving both cars? It's going to be cheaper anyway you look at it.

You could try uship.com

My car was in good shape until I moved to Phoenix, the heat there is not good on your vehicle. I had motor mounts replaced, wheel bearings, belts, harmonic balancer and a sensor go out in 2 years.

Old 12-21-2008, 02:04 PM

569 posts, read 1,708,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gracehis View Post
Hello. i tried some big time auto haulers and they were not good. there was one transport company that stands out. very efficient and ontime delivery. they are Atlanta Auto Hauler , 678-485-3976
they deliver nationwide . give them a call.
This thread is 6 months old. The OP never came back.

Old 12-23-2008, 07:47 PM

400 posts, read 884,076 times
All i can say is sorry.
I was forced to move to Phoenix in junior high and its
a matter of moving from one extreme place to another
the difference being that the summer is like our winter
spent indoors, and Phoenix is interesing in that its growing so rapidly
but really the question is WHY?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago