Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 10:04 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonToBeChicagoan View Post
I've noticed this as well. I moved to Chicago from Houston last year, and the difference is that in Houston, Asians are everywhere -- in the city, in the suburbs, and in the boonies. Here in Chicago, it seems like they are overwhelmingly in the suburbs. Then again, Houston's Asian population is among the largest in the US.
Strange... according to the Census Bureau's 2006 estimates, Chicago and Houston have nearly the same population percentage of Asians.

Chicago: 4.9%
Cook County: 5.6%

Houston: 5.0%
Harris County: 5.4%
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 08:30 AM

55 posts, read 274,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Strange... according to the Census Bureau's 2006 estimates, Chicago and Houston have nearly the same population percentage of Asians.

Interesting. Does this include all Asians? (i.e. East Asians, South Asians, Middle Eastern, etc.)

What suburb in Chicago would you say has the highest percentage of Asians? I'd like to compare whatever county that suburb is in to Fort Bend County (Texas).

Old 07-16-2008, 03:36 PM

1,869 posts, read 5,803,339 times
Quote:

Therefore....Asians would stand out more in the smaller metro population of Houston. Also, Houston has had huge percentage increases in recent decades of its Asian population.(over 50% increase in the 90's etc...) and that is continuing compared to its past. This also makes Houston's increases stand out to some as well. Both metros have sizeable Asian populations, though neither comparably to parts of the Coasts.

Old 07-16-2008, 03:55 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonToBeChicagoan View Post
Interesting. Does this include all Asians? (i.e. East Asians, South Asians, Middle Eastern, etc.)

What suburb in Chicago would you say has the highest percentage of Asians? I'd like to compare whatever county that suburb is in to Fort Bend County (Texas).
It includes all persons considered Asian or of Asian descent by the Census Bureau, including South Asians and, I presume, those Middle Easterners whose ancestry traces back to Asia, lest we forget that not all of the Middle East is in Asia.

Just guessing off the top of my head, I'd say the suburb with the highest percentage of Asians would be Skokie, at over 20%. Skokie is in Cook County.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishtacos View Post
Therefore....Asians would stand out more in the smaller metro population of Houston. Also, Houston has had huge percentage increases in recent decades of its Asian population.(over 50% increase in the 90's etc...) and that is continuing compared to its past. This also makes Houston's increases stand out to some as well. Both metros have sizeable Asian populations, though neither comparably to parts of the Coasts.
I fail to see how they would stick out more if they exist in almost the exact same proportions. I could see that if Houston were a city of 10,000, but when you're talking about a scale of millions, I don't see how they stand out any more in a city of 2 million versus a city of 3 million if proportionally their representation is the same.

Also, Houston's Asian population is not growing as a proportion of its population; in fact unless the 2006 estimate is way off, their percentage has actually decreased as a proportion of the population, perhaps because they're settling in the suburbs instead.

Old 07-16-2008, 04:13 PM

55 posts, read 274,733 times
Quote:
Just guessing off the top of my head, I'd say the suburb with the highest percentage of Asians would be Skokie, at over 20%. Skokie is in Cook County.
Maybe I'm just used to my hometown of Sugar Land, TX and extrapolating that to other areas of Houston I frequent (galleria area, rice village, memorial, downtown, midtown, etc.)

Sugar Land, TX (population 79,943); Asian population = 33.8%
Skokie, IL (population 69,731); Asian population = 21.28%

Old 08-05-2008, 02:33 PM

142 posts, read 432,088 times
While the Asian population isn't as big as, say, the Hispanic population... it's certainly made an impact on the city. We have a really nice Chinatown on the southside, and a cool Vietnamese/Korean district on the northside (some people are calling it "New Chinatown," even).

The West-Asian (Indian/Pakistani) population is prevalent on Devon Ave, near Rogers Park. There's also a large Ind/Pak population in the western suburbs, Lombard in particular.

If you're looking for Asian culture, you can definitely find it in this city!

Old 08-05-2008, 08:42 PM

64 posts, read 273,370 times
I dont know what alot of you are talking about, Im Asian (Japanese) and hang out with a pretty diverse crowd but there are alot of asians in my social cirlce. alot of us live downtown from lincoln park to china town to streeterville so i guess im just not getting where you guys come up with your statistics.
if your looking for the young asian scene go here ( www.asian-elements.com ) for the last 2 years ive gone to atleast 1 or 2 events per month.
and alot of the Japanese older crowd lives in schaumburg, elk grove arlington heights area. theres even a mitsuwa market there that i frequent quite a bit!

Old 08-06-2008, 11:39 AM

1,869 posts, read 5,803,339 times
Quote:
It includes all persons considered Asian or of Asian descent by the Census Bureau, including South Asians and, I presume, those Middle Easterners whose ancestry traces back to Asia, lest we forget that not all of the Middle East is in Asia.

I fail to see how they would stick out more if they exist in almost the exact same proportions. I could see that if Houston were a city of 10,000, but when you're talking about a scale of millions, I don't see how they stand out any more in a city of 2 million versus a city of 3 million if proportionally their representation is the same.

Also, Houston's Asian population is not growing as a proportion of its population; in fact unless the 2006 estimate is way off, their percentage has actually decreased as a proportion of the population, perhaps because they're settling in the suburbs instead.
That's why I used the term "Metro" as in the metro area. I'm speaking of the metro areas. We can't say it's okay to use suburban Chicago and only the city limits of Houston, when we are speaking of the metro areas of both places.

Old 08-06-2008, 12:30 PM

569 posts, read 1,820,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Works Aero View Post
I dont know what alot of you are talking about, Im Asian (Japanese) and hang out with a pretty diverse crowd but there are alot of asians in my social cirlce. alot of us live downtown from lincoln park to china town to streeterville so i guess im just not getting where you guys come up with your statistics.
if your looking for the young asian scene go here ( www.asian-elements.com ) for the last 2 years ive gone to atleast 1 or 2 events per month.
and alot of the Japanese older crowd lives in schaumburg, elk grove arlington heights area. theres even a mitsuwa market there that i frequent quite a bit!
We know there are ethnic enclaves specifically Albany Park, Chintatown, Uptown that have the highest concentration of asians in metro Chicago. I don't have the statistics to back this up but I also believe that most Asians live in the surrounding suburbs. As another twenty something asian in the city, most of the asian people I grew up with still live in the burbs. My theory is that asians tend to be culturally conservative, which might be why most 1st generation settled there anyhow.

Old 08-06-2008, 01:02 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishtacos View Post
That's why I used the term "Metro" as in the metro area. I'm speaking of the metro areas. We can't say it's okay to use suburban Chicago and only the city limits of Houston, when we are speaking of the metro areas of both places.
He was comparing the two similarly.

I think the point was that the cities of Chicago and Houston have similar amounts of Asians; and Chicago would have maybe 40,000 more since it has more people.

The core counties of Cook and Harris have roughly the same % as well, although Chicago has around 92,000 more than Harris County because it has 5.3 million people.

Many of Chicago's Asians are located in the collar counties. Randomly looking at DuPage County, you have 7.8% Asian, which is around 75,000. I didn't look at the other 12 counties in the metro...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago