U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2008, 06:40 PM

8 posts, read 14,034 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I are moving from New Mexico to Chicago and looking for an August lease. Unfortunately we are unable to do any apartment hunting in person until mid to late July. I was hoping for some advice about neighborhoods so we can narrow our options before we arrive. We've only visited Chicago a few times before and it's been several years ago now.

We don't have lots of money to spend for rent (we've been spoiled here in New Mexico rent-wise, however we have spent many years in Minneapolis, where rent was more comparable to Chicago, but still cheaper). Probably about $1000 tops for a one-bedroom is all we could afford.

We both work in the arts, and would like an eclectic, urban, artsy neighborhood. We are 25 years old, so lots of foot traffic, restaurants, coffee shops and bars would be preferable. It would be great to be able to walk for groceries.

We have a car but would be willing to get rid of it if need be (don't want to pay tons of money to park it somewhere).

Looking through these forums, and apartment hunting on Craigslist has led me to believe Ukrainian Village, Wicker Park and Logan Square may be good fits. Does this sound about right?

My boyfriend's job will be in Oak Park, so he'd prefer easy transportation to that area.

Do you think it will be difficult for us to find a decent apartment if we wait until only a few weeks before to find a place? Or do the best places get rented well before that?

Thanks! I am really looking forward to the move!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2008, 06:58 PM

28,461 posts, read 78,227,036 times
There are tens of thousands of rental units in the areas you are considering. The landlords rent the places out as the previous tenants move out. August is HOT in Chicago and people tend to move a lot then, so you should be fine.

I don't know if there is a "best time" to look for places, as even great places often are not available when people need them and sometimes great places sit vacant for a whole year. There is a lot of luck involved...

Old 06-09-2008, 07:35 PM

8 posts, read 14,034 times
Thanks, that is reassuring. I think I'll take my last-minute chances rather than trying to set up a place without having walked the neighborhood. In general do landlords require proof of employment? I haven't found a job there yet but I have seen several rental ads saying they do requiring that. Is that a common occurrence?

Old 06-09-2008, 08:17 PM

28,461 posts, read 78,227,036 times
If you look like decent person and have a decent explanation about moving for a new job most decent landlords will be OK with that, but even decent people who have been recently burned MAY ask for extra month of rent. Landlords like to have their places rented by decent people. Jobs are the easiest, most legal way to screen out people in an ad. Be proactive. Get the HR contact info from the place your boyfriend will be working and give that to the landlord in a confident way and odds are you will be fine.
Stammer and say " I uh don't uh have a job, but I wanna be an artist..." have a creepy vibe about you and seem like you don't have a dime to your name and some landlords will just say "No job, no apartment"...

Old 06-09-2008, 08:40 PM

15,587 posts, read 25,038,172 times
$1000 is plenty for a 1 bedroom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: