Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 02:20 PM

6 posts, read 21,790 times

Advertisements

Can anyone give me some advice. I know Logan square/humboldt park can be a little sketchy, but I think I really like this place and was wondering what anyone here could say about the specific area.

The Address is 2612 Weste Homer St. and Rockwell

Any info you can give me would be great!
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2008, 09:59 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,124,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juj2003 View Post
Can anyone give me some advice. I know Logan square/humboldt park can be a little sketchy, but I think I really like this place and was wondering what anyone here could say about the specific area.

The Address is 2612 Weste Homer St. and Rockwell

Any info you can give me would be great!
Thanks
I have a friend that lives on that block. Its a safe, quiet block that's a minute's walk from the Western blue line stop.

I believe the vacant land by Campbell and Homer is about to be developed into some more condos, but maybe that will be delayed a bit considering the current lending crisis.

But if you like the place I'd take it.

on edit - there's still a small but active manufacturing building right in that area, so you'll get a bit more traffic/noise on the street because of that, but its nothing overwhelming.

Old 05-31-2008, 10:00 PM

6 posts, read 21,790 times
Thanks! We took the place, liked it a lot, and I sat in the neighborhood for about a half hour and was pleasantly amused by neighbors...

Appreciate your help

Old 06-01-2008, 06:44 PM

249 posts, read 686,682 times
I know someone who lives on that block, too. ... I was surprised how quiet it is, even late at night, despite its "dreaded west of Western location." I think part of the reason for it is obviously the people living there. But also the configuration of the one-way streets in the area make it an unlikely block to be used as a pass-through for outsiders.

Old 06-01-2008, 06:46 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,681,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Northside View Post
I know someone who lives on that block, too. ... I was surprised how quiet it is, even late at night, despite its "dreaded west of Western location." I think part of the reason for it is obviously the people living there. But also the configuration of the one-way streets in the area make it an unlikely block to be used as a pass-through for outsiders.
Yeah its been changing alot over there the last 5 years.

Old 06-11-2008, 12:41 AM

Student shot and killed in Logan Square
at 2742 N. Monticello Ave.

""The shooting was "more or less a drive-by," but a good description of the shooter's vehicle was not available early Tuesday, according to Grand Central District police, who said the shooting happened on the street at 2747 N. Monticello Ave.""

23rd Chicago Public School Student Slain - News Story - WMAQ | Chicago

Old 06-11-2008, 01:30 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,342,535 times
It's amazing how much different the quality of the neighborhood is in that north of Wrightwood versus south in that immediate area.

Old 06-11-2008, 01:11 PM

2,686 posts, read 7,881,949 times
Default More about east vs. west than north vs. south

Drover,

On Wrightwood (2600N) it is more about east and west than north and south. West of Kedzie is generally more dangerous than east of Kedzie. That shooting occurred on Monticello (not Mozart), which is 3700 W.

I am not sure that area is any better or worse a few blocks north or south of Wrightwood as there have been incidents north of diversey (2800N) and south of fullerton (2400N). Some gangbanger shot at one of the guys doing roof work on the home across the street from my pastor in the 2800 block of Springfield. They put up a blue light the very following day.

That area has a small park with swimming pool. I have played basketball there a number of times and have certainly seen some shady characters around.

The block they are looking at, 2612 W Homer is 1.3 miles east of there. You should be fine in this area. As other posters have noted, this area has improved dramatically over the past 5 years, though there are still some gangbangers from time to time.

Old 06-11-2008, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
It's amazing how much different the quality of the neighborhood is in that north of Wrightwood versus south in that immediate area.
Yes indeed. I was actually in the area of the shooting in the afternoon before it happened and did a lot of driving around. It has not changed much since I was a kid. In fact it seemed worse than in the last few decades.

Old 06-11-2008, 08:39 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,342,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
Drover,

On Wrightwood (2600N) it is more about east and west than north and south. West of Kedzie is generally more dangerous than east of Kedzie. That shooting occurred on Monticello (not Mozart), which is 3700 W.

I am not sure that area is any better or worse a few blocks north or south of Wrightwood as there have been incidents north of diversey (2800N) and south of fullerton (2400N). Some gangbanger shot at one of the guys doing roof work on the home across the street from my pastor in the 2800 block of Springfield. They put up a blue light the very following day.

That area has a small park with swimming pool. I have played basketball there a number of times and have certainly seen some shady characters around.

The block they are looking at, 2612 W Homer is 1.3 miles east of there. You should be fine in this area. As other posters have noted, this area has improved dramatically over the past 5 years, though there are still some gangbangers from time to time.
Everyone knows about the differences between east and west Logan Square; you're not exactly delivering breaking news on that topic. But drive around the neighborhood west of Kimball on either side of Wrightwood. There is a pretty noticeable difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago