Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 12:46 PM

78,385 posts, read 60,579,949 times

Advertisements

I used to live in Chicago and have recently been talking about China with my friend from there and it strikes me more and more at how the two are similar politically.

-One party rule (Democrat in this example).
-The candidates are picked out and supported by the power-brokers and are often related. (Daily, Stroger, Jackson jr. etc.)
-Key jobs (Parks, sanitation etc.) are given to the relatives, loyalists, top fund raisers as are construction contracts etc.
-Plenty of corruption as the people in power take care of their "people".
-Impossible to remove the entrenched political system as they control the process that puts themselves into power. (Basically, voting in Chicago is a sham...see Stroger for the most recent example)

I'm not sure if I'm amused or saddened by it. What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2008, 12:51 PM

2,329 posts, read 6,633,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
-Impossible to remove the entrenched political system as they control the process that puts themselves into power. (Basically, voting in Chicago is a sham...see Stroger for the most recent example)
First of all, this is a fallacy. People DO have control over who they elect into office. The fact is Daley has won by staggering percentages time after time..."we" have no one to blame but ourselves if we continue to elect politicians who don't do their job (or do it poorly).

Old 06-18-2008, 12:57 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,526,677 times
I'm not sure this means Chicago = China, but I believe it is all true. I don't think however, it is limited to Chicago proper. See Blago!

Old 06-18-2008, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by via chicago View Post
First of all, this is a fallacy. People DO have control over who they elect into office. The fact is Daley has won by staggering percentages time after time..."we" have no one to blame but ourselves if we continue to elect politicians who don't do their job (or do it poorly).
As an example:
Stroger Jr. was handed his father's place on the ballot outside of the primary process and then went on to easily defeat the sucker with the R at the end of his name (as always happens). Basically, with one party rule....the people that are allowed to run for positions or appointed into them are picked by the powerbrokers and then get the endorsements etc. Not always the case but strong correlations.

Daily wins by staggering percentages because he has kept the power brokers happy and let them have their slices of the pie and so no significant opposition has been mounted against him in the primaries. At that point, it's over because of straight ticket voting.

Basically, one party rule is the commonality (I'm not picking on democrats here, just the one party Chicago set-up) and it breeds corruption and cronyism.

Old 06-18-2008, 01:23 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,789,833 times
People didn't need to continue supporting Stroger the elder, and they don't need to keep voting for Daley. I'd vote for ANYONE else for mayor if there was ever a feasible candidate, but there never is. No one with the credentials wants to upset the Daley machine.

Old 06-18-2008, 01:50 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,621,105 times
I find this unbelievably offensive. Study a little bit about the human rights violations that are occurring everyday in China (due to its govt) and then we can talk.

Old 06-18-2008, 01:55 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,370,617 times
The only difference, and it is a big one, is that in China the powers that keep everything in order work mightily to control the media. Despite this and the fact that the government will imprison people who make any attempt to upset their "information monopoly" there are cracks -- Guardian Unlimited | Comment is free | China's one-party monopoly of power is coming to an end

Meanwhile, in Chicago, the "prison of stupidity" that people freely CHOOSE to live in is as strong as ever. Despite every sane voice speaking out against the Toddler this past election cycle and King Richard's "dungeon museum" fiasco of the past week both the idiot voters who come out for anyone who has the same general complexion they do and the idiot alderman who nibble crumbs that His Highness casts their way remain FIRMLY aligned with forces that keep them enslaved.

Old 06-18-2008, 03:09 PM

177 posts, read 543,806 times
Quote:
No one with the credentials wants to upset the Daley machine.
because they quickly get paid off.

To the OP, you should be saddened. The state of Chicago politics, and illinois politics is sickening.

Old 06-18-2008, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
I find this unbelievably offensive. Study a little bit about the human rights violations that are occurring everyday in China (due to its govt) and then we can talk.
The post indicated how they were similar POLITICALLY and the examples were of how a one-party system can occur in a democracy creating a similar system of corruption, cronyism etc.

Certainly Chicago is not even remotely comparable to China in terms of freedoms, the free press, workers' rights, human rights etc. I guess I took that to be rather obvious and focused on the political power structure which has amazing similarities.

Chicago also has much better pizza. When you calm down from your self-inflicted offense grab a slice and it will make you happier. :-)

Old 06-18-2008, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
The only difference, and it is a big one, is that in China the powers that keep everything in order work mightily to control the media. Despite this and the fact that the government will imprison people who make any attempt to upset their "information monopoly" there are cracks -- Guardian Unlimited | Comment is free | China's one-party monopoly of power is coming to an end

Meanwhile, in Chicago, the "prison of stupidity" that people freely CHOOSE to live in is as strong as ever. Despite every sane voice speaking out against the Toddler this past election cycle and King Richard's "dungeon museum" fiasco of the past week both the idiot voters who come out for anyone who has the same general complexion they do and the idiot alderman who nibble crumbs that His Highness casts their way remain FIRMLY aligned with forces that keep them enslaved.
Good points. The Sun Times keeps their feet to the fire but again, people (alive and dead) seem to keep voting for the *right* people.

P.S. Voting for the people with the same complexion is not a caucasian phenomenon. Check out the MS democratic primary results and the exit polls where people indicated if race factored into their decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago