Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 05:52 PM
lz0 lz0 started this thread

34 posts, read 231,110 times

Advertisements

Long-time lurker, first-time poster.

I moved into an apartment a couple blocks NW of Divison & Pulaski one year ago, and I'm leaving now with great relief. I just wanted to share some of my experiences here in case they're of use to anyone, and to let some of my anger out.

When I first came to see the place, I was unnerved about the tense mood of the neighborhood. As a white college-aged woman I was solicited numerous times on the street. My particular block seemed to be peaceful and quiet, though, with lots of working-class families. In the mere year I've been here, quite a bit has changed.

There were 2 murders within 4 blocks of me that I know of. One was a full-blown home invasion by masked gunmen. My street has a blue light on the corner and police are constantly speeding up and down the block. I was actually stopped by police myself once, who drew their guns and cuffed me, apparently because I fit the description of someone they were looking for. It was quite upsetting at the time, but after seeing the state of the neighborhood, I can understand why the cops are so aggressive.

I see prostitutes and crackheads daily and have been followed and screamed at too many times to count. I've been verbally harassed by groups of gangbangers or wannabe-thugs, though luckily nothing has escalated to a physical altercation yet. Several times while waiting at a bus stop, I've had men pull up in cars and attempt to talk me into getting in, eventually turning threatening when I refused or ignored them, and I had to run to a store/gas station for protection. I have been followed by obviously drunk or cracked-out guys who tried to chase me down. I have been spit on and pushed by black teens on public transit. For a while I thought it was just because I must look like an easy and helpless target, but when I've gone out with my boyfriend, who is also white and very tall/imposing, we've still been harassed. In fact, he seems to draw more attention from thugs who want to prove themselves or whatnot.

I should note that I am almost never outside after dark, and I carry some self-defense items on me most of the time. Most of what's happened occurred in broad daylight, in very public areas.

But now even sitting safe at home is no longer an option. Over the past year, families in my neighborhood have been getting large, aggressive dogs, perhaps in fear of the increasing violence in the neighborhood. Ironically, these dogs are either neglected or mistreated to the point that they become vicious and bark constantly, and attack people. The usual car alarms, ghetto blasters, parties with PA systems in the backyard, etc. are in full force 24/7. There is rarely a peaceful moment save for a few hours in the late morning, when those with jobs are at work and the crackheads and partiers are asleep. The police of course are loath to respond to relatively trivial civil complaints when they have hardcore crime to deal with, so there is little recourse for the constant noise aside from earplugs. I've lost count of how many times I've reported a dog barking for hours on end in the middle of the night, or running loose and threatening people. I guess when the idiots who get these dogs for protection realize they raised a monster, they set it loose in the neighborhood. Just like their children.

I moved here originally because the rent was super cheap. My landlord (against all sense) decided to raise it, though, and the constant pressure, tension, and fear while both indoors and out has driven me to escape this slum. I've learned that my personal safety and mental well-being are far more important than saving a few bucks on rent. I'd rather put in the time working extra hours than risk my life any longer. Oddly, it wasn't until I saw the scumbags in my neighborhood harassing my boyfriend that it hit me how serious the danger is. It's easy to keep yourself going by telling yourself that you're much smarter than the thugs and can simply avoid dangerous situations and violence, or that the gangbangers are more interested in killing each other, but the truth is that a lot of the crime around here is random and opportunistic, and it's just a matter of time before I or someone I care about becomes a victim.

Hope this info is useful for someone. I know most people hear "west side" and assume the worst, but then, I thought I knew how bad the neighborhood was before I moved in, too. Just because you don't get shot doesn't mean you won't have to face all sorts of other dangers and affronts to sanity and civility on a daily basis.

Old 06-18-2008, 05:59 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,943,200 times
Wow, glad you're getting out relatively unscathed. The rent must have been pretty cheap to tempt you to live there in the first place.

Old 06-18-2008, 08:13 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,338,264 times
hey, we may have been neighbors, I live around Keeler and Division. I didn't have any of the serious issues you had (maybe because I "blend in", being a black female), but have noticed some of the issues you mentioned. to be fair, it's summer, parties are going to occur. just call the cops when they break any noise laws (not sure what they are in Chicago). not saying it's right, but I grew to tolerate them.

I've noticed the dogs, and yeah, it makes me upset seeing them pretty neglected and the yard and yapping away. though I've met a few dog owners around that area that seem ok (met some well behaved American bulldogs and a golden retriever). maybe I've become desensitized to "urban noise", but the noise off the main roads never bothered me much (but that's just me).

that incident w/ the home invasion and the little boy getting shot did unnerve my roommates and I and start the process of us rethinking living there. it didn't happen super close to where we live, but I walk down Division to hop on the #53 to get to the blue line (for the most part, I've given up on the #70 to get to the blue line) and the incident happened as I was walking down the street (saw the guy jump down off the roof and run across the street to the store). if it wasn't for me blasting my ipod, I likely would have heard the gun shots and hit the floor.

in that area, it really does go block by block, and my block is fairly quiet, save for the noise generated by kids, pets, and parties. some of the folks that live there seem to really care about their homes and do seem to try to live a decent life (keep their lawns and building nice for example) but there are people there that are just ghetto and throw their trash all around, scream obscenities from their windows so the whole block can hear them, fight their dogs (I'm pretty sure I've heard at least one dog fight coming from a neighbor's yard, yes I did call it in, no, nothing was done about it) and basically act like criminals.

in previous posts, I've more or less stuck up for the area, but in the end, I'm just a renter and feel no real roots keeping me tied to this place. I'm still of the belief that most of the crime is gang related and keeping your nose out of gang issues w/ keep you relatively safe, but I'm becoming more and more aware that random crime can and does happen (I've lived in rough areas all my life, though granted, not in Chicago, and I've come to notice that my tolerance for them has diminished).I'll likely be moving to Pilsen next month. while still a rough neighborhood, it just feels a thousand times better than the block I'm on now, more families and artsy students. plus it's near the train- I've finally admitted to myself that I can't deal w/ the bus anymore. the cheap rent enticed my move to Humboldt Park, but we found similar prices in Pilsen and Bridgeport. I will however REALLY miss Jimmy's Red Hots (my growing waist line won't miss them though!) and will have to pass by to pick up a polish every once and awhile

Old 06-18-2008, 08:52 PM

2,686 posts, read 7,867,960 times
Default humboldt isn"t all bad

Eevee and Izo sorry about your luck. You are both south of grand which is really the line between relatively safe but poor and ghetto. Eventually, the changes that are going on in my area (more hispanics, less problems) will filter down into your areas and eventually cross division but that will be 5-10 years from now.

I am sorry about your experiences. Should you decide to stay in humboldt park juist stay as close to north and east of pulaski and you will be fine. As a 6'2 thin white guy who wears suits all day if I don't constitute a target I don't know what does. We don't have the attack dogs, drugs, or prostitutes or drunks walking around. I guess a few blocks makes a big difference. North of me it is basically the same up to fullerton before it starts to change bigtime. Just a few blocks south of me where you two are at I would be afraid to walk around even if armed.

Sukwoo and I have talked about my area extensively. Sorry your experience was a negative one in humboldt but understand that maybe you were just in the rougher parts of humboldt (and there are a lot as you go south and west).

Good luck wherever you decide to move. Come back in 5-10 years and you will see how the areas you are leaving have improved. They just aren't quite there yet (nor is my area though we are maybe a few years ahead).

Old 06-19-2008, 08:26 AM

1,953 posts, read 4,958,899 times
damn thats pretty bad. If i ever think that my area sucks Ill just remember you. If anyone ever spit on me I dont know what I would do.

Old 06-19-2008, 08:40 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,351,166 times
Glad youre getting out, that sounds like a crap place to live.

Old 06-19-2008, 08:42 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,774,945 times
That sounds about right for Humboldt Park. I don't know what possessed you to live there in the first place, unless you own investment property like "Humboldt1". The safest areas are those that directly border Wicker Park and Ukranian Village, and even there you should expect some trouble occasionally.

Old 06-19-2008, 10:37 AM

2,686 posts, read 7,867,960 times
Default a few blocks makes a difference

Even if were just a renter, my area is livable. It is nothing like the areas just a few blocks south. Humboldt Park isn"t that bad so long as you stay north of grand. I feel sorry for those south of grand.

Old 06-19-2008, 10:48 AM

3,396 posts, read 7,207,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
It is nothing like the areas just a few blocks south. Humboldt Park isn"t that bad so long as you stay north of grand. I feel sorry for those south of grand.
Yeah, I would never recommend anyone move to the area around Division/Pulaski. It is a different world than the area Humboldt1 is in.

I definitely understand that areas can be block by block, but anytime you're in a situation like that you run the risk of the block taking a turn for the worst. It can happen pretty quickly. Unfortunately with the current real estate market I think a lot of borderline areas are likely to take a turn for the worse in the short term.

Old 06-19-2008, 11:49 AM

34 posts, read 93,043 times
I live down the street at Division and Ashland in Wicker Park. Supposedly this is a safe, upscale neighborhood but I've experienced several of the same problems. My apartment was robbed, mail is often stolen, I've often heard gunshots and have had prowlers on my balcony at 3AM. Everyone in my neighborhood seems to own loud, viscious pitbulls that keep waking me up all night. Local mexican gangs keep spraying the area with graffiti and occasionally brawl in the street.

It seems this entire city is one big ****hole no matter where you live or how much you pay in rent.

The worst thing about living here are the fact that the police are useless and the weapon/self-defense laws are ridiculous. It took the cops four hours to show up after my apartment was robbed. And when he got there, the guy seemed more concerned with a butchers knife I had out on the counter than investigating the shattered window.

I'm a pretty big guy, so I don't get bothered much in person. I would not recommend a single woman live anywhere in this city outside of a highrise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago