Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 02:10 PM

27 posts, read 96,004 times

Advertisements

So, I was hired for my new job back in January and started looking for places to live. I found a place in Uptown that was affordable and right by the El.

I looked at the crime stats around the area and didn't think it was all too bad.

Well, I took a look back at it now and notice that there's been a string of shootings and a murder right by the station. Needless to say, I'm a bit worried that a signed a lease in an area that much less safe than I thought.

Is it just the heat that's causing all this mess or something else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2008, 02:22 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,519,774 times
Yes, crime is higher in the summer because everyone is outside and in the winter no one in their right mind would venture out for too long. Crime still happens in the winter, don't get me wrong...but it happens a lot less in the cold freezing temps.

Old 06-19-2008, 02:24 PM

331 posts, read 1,544,569 times
Chicago's strapped public is too well-organized to open fire just simply due to the fluctuation in temperature. Probably it was a part of a turf appropriation, since "right by the station" would be a valuable spot for local open-air pharmaceutic retailers. Those appropriations are much easier to perform in a warmer weather.

Old 06-19-2008, 02:43 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,244,664 times
Crime increases in all areas over the summer, but that doesn't mean that there are just random shootings because its hot out. What el station are you referring to though?

Old 06-19-2008, 02:51 PM

Wilson, which I've already heard bad things about.

I forget that unlike Texas, other places have 'seasons'... here it's always Summer

Old 06-19-2008, 03:22 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,779,208 times
There is a lot of crime around the Wilson "L" stop, but it's not completely dangerous. It's just sort of dangerous Is your apartment east or west of Broadway? The area to the west is quite a bit nicer, but still has some gang trouble and drug dealing. The area to the east is little pocket of ghetto.

You'll be fine. Many people use that "L" stop every day without incident. Just get ready to be called "honky" once in a while and to be asked for "spare change" every day. It looks a lot worse at Wilson and Broadway than it really is. I personally wouldn't live there, but you'll be fine for a year.

Old 06-19-2008, 03:25 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,779,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outsider1 View Post
Chicago's strapped public is too well-organized to open fire just simply due to the fluctuation in temperature. Probably it was a part of a turf appropriation, since "right by the station" would be a valuable spot for local open-air pharmaceutic retailers. Those appropriations are much easier to perform in a warmer weather.
Broadway is the dividing line between P-stones and GD in Uptown. Due to the many shelters and social services in the area, there are MANY customers for the local independent pharaceutical salesmen--so it's a valuable piece of turf.

Enjoy!

Old 06-19-2008, 04:05 PM

331 posts, read 1,544,569 times
The stretch of Wilson from the station to the lake is why Uptown gets a bad reputation. It can be ruthless and brutal. If it's not too big a detour, try Argyle(one stop to the north) or Sheridan(one to the south) stations instead.

Old 06-19-2008, 04:33 PM

Ahhh, I see now. I'm to the west of the station (and Broadway) with Truman College in between my building and the station.

Old 06-19-2008, 04:36 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,146,737 times
I hate to say "I told you so," but dude, you were warned, and it seemed at the time that you had heeded the warning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago