Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 10:06 AM

16 posts, read 58,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Why don't groups like the NRA and the people who support them advocate for safe gun ownership?
The NRA is the biggest advocate of safe firearm ownership in the country, it is their primary mission.

The legal work is actually done by a whole different organization that isn't even funded by NRA memberships, it is called the NRA-ILA (Institute for Legislative Action).

Your saying that shows how little you know about the NRA and how effectively the organization has been demonized in the press.

Old 06-27-2008, 11:08 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,789,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagolandRon View Post
The NRA is the biggest advocate of safe firearm ownership in the country, it is their primary mission.

The legal work is actually done by a whole different organization that isn't even funded by NRA memberships, it is called the NRA-ILA (Institute for Legislative Action).

Your saying that shows how little you know about the NRA and how effectively the organization has been demonized in the press.
The NRA deserves all of the demonization it gets. To pretend they're some kind of innocent group of hobby-ists is really outrageous.

Old 06-27-2008, 11:23 AM

25 posts, read 86,576 times
Quote:

Oh please. The NRA is similar to any other organization whose executive leadership has strayed very far from its stated goals/mission in order to enrich itself and its handlers when you look at it objectively. If the NRA truly wanted to solve this problem it wouldn't get entrenched in an "us vs. them" mentality and play to its base.

Jeffrey H. Birnbaum - Former Gun Lobbyist Says NRA Aims Mostly for Money - washingtonpost.com

The NRA's Main Target? Its Members' Checkbooks. - washingtonpost.com

Just because NRA memberships don't fund the organization does not mean that the NRA ORGANIZATION isn't fully behind the actions. And who, pray tell, does fund the NRA-ILA?

Why does the NRA stand on the side of gun manufacturers and pitch fits when legislatures attempt to pass laws requiring legal gun owners to implement various safety measures? Why doesn't it stand with them to solve problems?

Recent examples:

Paterson: NRA should train gun owners

NRA's opposition is misguided | Philadelphia Inquirer | 05/12/2008 (http://www.philly.com/inquirer/opinion/pa/20080512_NRA_s_opposition_is_misguided.html - broken link)

Old 06-27-2008, 11:32 AM

74 posts, read 87,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
Missouri enacted a conceal and carry and every business simply added a sign on their door saying no weapons allowed, so I'm not sure what good it really does anyone.

I am still very uncomfortable with the notion of people walking around with guns on them, and I grew up in a home with guns and I have shot many guns.
I grew up on a farm in the NW 'burbs and believe me I shot many a gun 'out back'. But there is no need for a gun in the city. If your house is broken into, simply give the armed burglar what he wants and hope the police get there soon. There is no earthly posession worth killing or starting a gun fight over.

On the other hand, don't live in a bd or questionable area. Don't buy the nicest home in the worst neighborhood, buy the fixer upper in the nice neighorhood...

Put a camera on your garage facing the street, even if it is fake! Or get a big barking dog that people [mod cut] are scared of!!!

Last edited by aragx6; 06-27-2008 at 03:18 PM.. Reason: racist

Old 06-27-2008, 11:41 AM

2,686 posts, read 7,870,982 times
Default I have a right to defend myself

If someone breaks into my home, you don't need to call the police. You call the coroner. My 12-gauge from close range should they be so stupid to break into my unit will do the job and then some.

I am not going to hand my earthly possessions over to some thug. I have a right to defend myself and my home.
[mod cut]

Last edited by aragx6; 06-27-2008 at 03:19 PM.. Reason: refers to deleted post

Old 06-27-2008, 11:41 AM

16 posts, read 58,012 times
Quote:
And who, pray tell, does fund the NRA-ILA?
Those members and non members who agree with the legislative agenda of the political wing of the NRA.

Quote:
Why does the NRA stand on the side of gun manufacturers and pitch fits when legislatures attempt to pass laws requiring legal gun owners to implement various safety measures? Why doesn't it stand with them to solve problems?
I reject your presupposition that some of the misguided measures introduced under the guise of "safety" or "common sense" would make us safer. You notice even the legislature looked to the NRA as the experts on training in gun safety, that is the main role of the NRA. I suspect the NRA would be glad to train every gun owner in New York but I also understand them not wanting to use the force of government to mandate it!

Quoting Washington Post hit pieces on the NRA proves nothing to me. As a member I'm actually informed on what the NRA does in regards to safety and legislation. I may not agree with every stand they take but they (we) are the 800lb gorilla in the room on the subject.

Old 06-27-2008, 11:56 AM

74 posts, read 87,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
If someone breaks into my home, you don't need to call the police. You call the coroner. My 12-gauge from close range should they be so stupid to break into my unit will do the job and then some.

I am not going to hand my earthly possessions over to some thug. I have a right to defend myself and my home.

I am curious what ******* stands for. I can only guess.

[mod cut]

What if you miss with your 12 gauge and he shoots you? Most thugs are probably not trained marksmen, they are low IQ boys who point and spray instead of aim. But still, I value life too much. Not his, mine.

Last edited by aragx6; 06-27-2008 at 03:20 PM..

Old 06-27-2008, 12:13 PM

25 posts, read 86,576 times
Quote:
Those members and non members who agree with the legislative agenda of the political wing of the NRA.

I reject your presupposition that some of the misguided measures introduced under the guise of "safety" or "common sense" would make us safer. You notice even the legislature looked to the NRA as the experts on training in gun safety, that is the main role of the NRA. I suspect the NRA would be glad to train every gun owner in New York but I also understand them not wanting to use the force of government to mandate it!

Quoting Washington Post hit pieces on the NRA proves nothing to me. As a member I'm actually informed on what the NRA does in regards to safety and legislation. I may not agree with every stand they take but they (we) are the 800lb gorilla in the room on the subject.
I'm not trying to prove anything to you. Criticism of the NRA is completely valid, especially on the grounds I am others presented. And since a high-ranking (former) member of your organization would beg to differ with your personal opinion it is obvious that the organization, like many others, drives activities that cast doubt on or even contradict its stated mission and goals. Sometimes the media actually does its job.

Training on gun safety (the use of guns) is only one (and a minor) part of the problem. Imagine a car manufacturer paying an organization to advocate for car safety but oppose attempts by the legislature to make cars safer. If these measures are back up by solid research they are hardly misguided. To say that it is too much of a burden on a gun owner, who presumably is a law-abiding citizen, to secure the safety of his or her weapon according to community standards is as ridiculous as saying car owners who take defensive driving or who are mechanics do not have to own vehicles that meet legislated safety standards. What is "misguided" is the notion that guns have to be cheap, easily accessible and able to be fired by any idiot with the money to buy one. We don't do it with cars so why would it make sense to do it with an object that can be as lethal?

And the fact that guns are procured illegally really has very little to do with how a society ought to deal with legal gun ownership. People drive unregistered cars that haven't passed inspection without insurance every day. That has nothing to do with my obligation as a citizen to obey the law if I own and operate a car.

Old 06-27-2008, 12:27 PM

2,686 posts, read 7,870,982 times
Default Skye and MiamiWolf

Skye,

[mod cut]

Also, I have been trained on rifles and shotguns, not so much on handguns, though I am fairly proficient with a beretta. I won't miss at that close of range.

I think the NRA goes too far as a lobbyist organization, but that Chicago has gone too far with the handgun restriction. I am not a member of the NRA and never have been, nor is my brother, though he does have numerous firearms (all legal in Indiana).

Why does Daley call this decision "frightening"?

Last edited by aragx6; 06-27-2008 at 03:21 PM.. Reason: refers to deleted post

Old 06-27-2008, 12:33 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,621,105 times
I agree that no earthly possession is worth killing over. They can have my TV. They may no rape me however. That I will happily kill over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: