U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 09:19 AM

2 posts, read 4,699 times

Advertisements

i am a 21 year old black female that is moving to chicago i will be working a Rush medical center as a respiratory therapist (fairly good pay).
i would like to know
1. safe but fun places to live in chicago
2. a fairly diverse are (looking to mingle)
3. somewhere kind of close to where i will be working
4. in price range of 800-1300
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2008, 11:28 AM

354 posts, read 1,952,113 times
I live in Chicago for years, but do not now. amm (rt) you may need to broading your range of living. It may be differcult to mix the two together fun and safe. I can gurantee you this, there will be diversity. How close you wanting to live to work (mile from work)? If you chose safe as a option try looking south around Evergreen Park or Oaklawn which is fairly close approx. 20 miles from your work. Also it faily close to all the action thats happening like Navy Peer, Mckormic Place, downtime Chicago, beach front, etc. Couldn't tell you about the West or North side maybe some other readers could help you out there.

Old 06-29-2008, 11:36 AM

2,298 posts, read 5,788,682 times
The South Loop would be perfect. Minutes from work, and one of the few diverse areas in Chicago. There are ton of college students in the area, and you can easily hop on the El for a relatively quick trip to the North side for more nightlife options. It's quite safe, and you should have no trouble finding a small, but nice, place in your price range. Also, shopping will be convenient. There are supermarkets and big box stores like Target and Best Buy on Roosevelt Rd., and State St. in the Loop is lined with chain stores. Perhaps the only drawback for some people is that it's mostly new development, and there isn't much of traditional neighborhood feel there.

Old 06-29-2008, 04:33 PM

1,889 posts, read 6,881,969 times
Hyde park is not toooo far. Diverse, has the university, walkable, good food, easy access to public transit. Have fun and enjoy Chicago!!

Old 06-30-2008, 09:16 AM

12,063 posts, read 29,792,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo2lowkey View Post
I live in Chicago for years, but do not now. amm (rt) you may need to broading your range of living. It may be differcult to mix the two together fun and safe. I can gurantee you this, there will be diversity. How close you wanting to live to work (mile from work)? If you chose safe as a option try looking south around Evergreen Park or Oaklawn which is fairly close approx. 20 miles from your work. Also it faily close to all the action thats happening like Navy Peer, Mckormic Place, downtime Chicago, beach front, etc. Couldn't tell you about the West or North side maybe some other readers could help you out there.
Unless you're 12 or a tourist, nothing exciting happens at Navy "Peer"

I liked the South Loop suggestion.

Old 06-30-2008, 04:33 PM

296 posts, read 1,043,493 times
If you're looking for a diverse neighborhood with a high concentration of affluent black professionals, I completely agree that the South Loop is easily the best call for you. Hyde Park is a close second, but less convenient to your place of work.

Old 06-30-2008, 08:28 PM

988 posts, read 3,039,325 times
Ya I agree with everyone on the South Loop and hyde park.

Old 06-30-2008, 11:42 PM

10 posts, read 18,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo2lowkey View Post

*Sigh*... I really wish people who lived in the suburbs whould stop giving advice to people lookig for "city living". Evergreen Park and Oak Lawn are suburbs that border the south side of the city. And anyone who can't give the city the respect it deserves by at least spelling the names of some of it's most popular attractions correctly, does not deserve to be taken seriously. Please stay in your "safe and boring zone" 20 miles away with nothing to do except wander into random pubs day in and day out.

The other posters have it right, the South Loop is the fastest growing neighborhood in the country. It's safe, close to tons of grocery and retail stores and probably the closest safe and fun neighborhood to your job. The drawback: it can be pricey. Studios in the hi-rises start at $1100.

Old 07-01-2008, 09:03 AM

12,063 posts, read 29,792,671 times
^^ South Loop can be pricey, but I do think you'll be able to find a few one bedrooms on the high end of your price range. Like this one:
****BRIGHT TOP FLOOR 1BED / 1BATH UNIT*** (http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/apa/738238607.html - broken link)

Old 07-01-2008, 01:10 PM

440 posts, read 1,422,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amm(rrt) View Post
i am a 21 year old black female that is moving to chicago i will be working a Rush medical center as a respiratory therapist (fairly good pay).
i would like to know
1. safe but fun places to live in chicago
2. a fairly diverse are (looking to mingle)
3. somewhere kind of close to where i will be working
4. in price range of 800-1300
The first thing you need to decide is if you are going to be driving, taking public transit, or walking to work.

If you are taking public transit, your best bet is to be near the Blue Line, which puts you on the West Side or in Wicker Park. South Loop is another possibility, but your transit options will be less convenient unless you end up right near Roosevelt and State. Do not - REPEAT - do not go to Hyde Park if you are planning on taking public transit or you will end up with a really long commute.

If you are planning to drive, on the other hand, Hyde Park is a possibility, but keep in mind that it will still be 30-40 minutes door-to-door.

If you are planning on (or would like the option of) walking to work, your best is the UIC area, so you should be looking around Taylor Street, West Loop and University Village. That part of town has a lot of college students (more than anywhere else in the city, actually), so finding roomates your age and such should be easy.

Frankly, I am a little baffeled why anyone would be recommending the South Loop to a 21-year-old. Its a nice place, alright, but claims of it being full of college students and young people are WAY overstated. The "typical" South Looper is an older, established high-rise dweller, many of them suburban transplants and empty-nesters. If you were 31 or 41 I would not hesitate to recommend it, (it is an outstanding neighborhood and location), but at your age I doubt you will find much of interest there. As far as getting around, unless you are right at State and either Harrison or Roosevelt, you will probably end up driving everywhere, which is what most South Loopers do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: