Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 01:55 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,253,097 times

Advertisements

Isn't parking in a garage not an option sometimes?

I was driving through Clearing/Garfield Ridge the other day with my wife, and we noticed that a lot of them didn't have alleys/garages in the back, so everyone parked in the street. I love this 'hood, but the lack of yard space and garage put her off.

Although, some houses had yard space and garages..so who knows?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2008, 02:17 PM

1,953 posts, read 4,959,191 times
my least favorite part of chicago is all the parking bs. I barely ever drive my car so I will leave it sit for a week at a time. Its a new car and didnt have holes for a front license plate. So I come out to my car and it had 6 tickets on it one day all for not having a front license plate, wtf. Then i got 3 tickets for having tinted windows. I mean come on is it really worth it for all of the scratches from people bumping into you, having to move your car for street cleaning and all that bs. Now i just rent a spot in a garage so I dont have to deal with that sht. its a good 2 miles away and costs $150. Ok Im done with my rant

Old 06-30-2008, 02:33 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,776,941 times
We don't have an alley or garage, but I park in a nearby high-rise with an indoor garage. It's absolutely worth the money. When I lived in Wicker Park we had a garage off the alley and a yard, but there were only two spaces for a building with six units (and we were lucky enough to snag one). It really depends on the neighborhood.

Old 06-30-2008, 02:37 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,611,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by long101 View Post
my least favorite part of chicago is all the parking bs. I barely ever drive my car so I will leave it sit for a week at a time. Its a new car and didnt have holes for a front license plate. So I come out to my car and it had 6 tickets on it one day all for not having a front license plate, wtf. Then i got 3 tickets for having tinted windows. I mean come on is it really worth it for all of the scratches from people bumping into you, having to move your car for street cleaning and all that bs. Now i just rent a spot in a garage so I dont have to deal with that sht. its a good 2 miles away and costs $150. Ok Im done with my rant
At that point is it even worth having it?

Old 06-30-2008, 05:41 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,231,327 times
Quote:
ahh it's people like you that remind me of why I didn't bring a car with me.

Old 06-30-2008, 10:39 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,285,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronK View Post
Weather is terrible.

Pro-Chicago is a fantastic city. If you are looking for a permanent relocation, I would not settle for Chicago. But it is nice to come and make good money for a few years, maybe experience other cultures. However, there aren't always pros with that.

Chicago is a nice city, nicer than other cities, very big, lots of opportunity. Politics, however, are corrupt. Too many liberals who believe in income redistribution and raising taxes for everything. The mayor of this city is a dick, and should have gotten his ass kicked a couple more times as a kid. The democrat machine is ridiculous, considering how fed up everyone is with them. You'd think people would have common sense and elect people with a little bit more fiscal responsibility.

Yeah, I'd come visit for a few years if you're looking for a big change. It isn't anywhere I'd want to retire, but it can be nice if you are living in the heart of Chicago. Suburbs aren't that spectacular, I should add.
For a somewhat other side to this:

There are people who have been in your situation, moving from a warm climate to a cooler one, and loved it. I personally love all 4 of my seasons even if spring can be short.

I think that Chicago is a great place to move to because like all great cities it has the urban part to it and suburban part and in those two are varying degrees of cost and feel to the area.

The "Democratic Machine" has cooled of quite a bit since the days of Richard J. Daley but once in a while you can see it rise up again. This year he shut off someone's microphone when they were talking, his father installed that, and he forced the Chicago Children's Museum to be built in Grant Park. It is a Liberal city and what do you expect them to act like with those views. I don't know Atlanta's political leanings but Chicago's stronghold on one party politics has been around for a while and looks like it's here to stay. That's something to think of when moving here.

The suburbs of Chicago are some of the nicest in the country and are great places to live and raise kids so if you are in it for the long hall, I suggest you check them out.

Old 07-01-2008, 09:01 AM

1,953 posts, read 4,959,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
ahh it's people like you that remind me of why I didn't bring a car with me.
haha Yea if I could sell it I would. I bought it right before I new I was going to move which was about 7 months ago and if I sell it now I wont get jack.

Old 07-01-2008, 10:28 AM

569 posts, read 1,819,351 times
Quote:
When I first moved in the same thing happened to me. I had 6 no front plate tickets as well. But mine was in the front winshield... but cited as a misuse of the plate. About 10-15 minutes to find parking and average about a 4 block walk in WP, which isnt so bad from what I hear about Lakeview. In a full month here I've parked in front of my apartment for a magic total of 3 times.

Old 07-01-2008, 10:39 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,611,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkylittleton View Post
When I first moved in the same thing happened to me. I had 6 no front plate tickets as well. But mine was in the front winshield... but cited as a misuse of the plate. About 10-15 minutes to find parking and average about a 4 block walk in WP, which isnt so bad from what I hear about Lakeview. In a full month here I've parked in front of my apartment for a magic total of 3 times.
Sharky,
Is your street permitted? Our street (Winchester) is, but it does seem to be kind of a mix of streets that are and streets that aren't.

Old 07-01-2008, 01:48 PM

569 posts, read 1,819,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
Sharky,
Is your street permitted? Our street (Winchester) is, but it does seem to be kind of a mix of streets that are and streets that aren't.
Aragx6,

My street is not permitted, but there are a mix of streets that are and are not. But the majority of them are not permitted. To make matters worse, Fridays and Saturdays my neighborhood fills up with wannabe suburbanite hipsters in their huge azz SUV's and take up so much darn space. It almost makes parking nearly impossible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago