Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 11:47 AM

188 posts, read 605,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Gang turf does not require that the gang members live everywhere they have "turf."

A couple of years ago a few people were stabbed and slashed on and around Clark street just south of Bryn Mawr I believe by some wacked out guy who was allegedly a Latin King.
You know, it's funny. Now that I think about it, I live around the area where the map suggests there's a small pocket of LK members. The other week, I was walking to the market and experienced a lot of crude cat-calling from one of the porches. My original thought was, "How odd for this neighborhood." Maybe this explains it.

Old 05-07-2009, 01:28 PM

2,242 posts, read 6,240,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by binarybelle View Post
You know, it's funny. Now that I think about it, I live around the area where the map suggests there's a small pocket of LK members. The other week, I was walking to the market and experienced a lot of crude cat-calling from one of the porches. My original thought was, "How odd for this neighborhood." Maybe this explains it.
Wtf is cat calling?

Old 05-07-2009, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
Why don't you move?
We're not all rich.

Old 05-07-2009, 01:37 PM

863 posts, read 2,784,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Wtf is cat calling?
Seriously, dude, pick up a book or three.

Old 05-07-2009, 01:43 PM

Are you saying I'm stupid?

Old 05-07-2009, 01:43 PM

863 posts, read 2,784,910 times
LOL! You're funny.

Old 05-07-2009, 02:23 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,878,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by binarybelle View Post
that Chicago Gang Map has changed dramatically in the past few years, part of its problem is that it relies on gang members to report their turf - I think the larger/smarter gangs cracked down on the shorties who were all posting every last stoop they sipped a soda on, to the point that the map now completely underrepresents gang problems in some areas.

but another poster had it correct in that turf doesn't mean (necessarily) a huge street presence or a lot of members living there - it means drug market (or "shelf space" as the booze folks call it) borders.

get the Chicago Crime Commission's Gang Book if you want pretty reliable borders, they do change a bit block to block, but you have to realize most gangs are more like umbrella organizations, where under the larger umbrella (GD's, LK's, etc) you have "chapters" with membership that varies on a weekly basis. an example perhaps not immediately obvious to people in the neighborhood would be that in the CCC book it shows the GD with a healthy slice of the Wrigleyville area - now, this could be a few apartments of stone-cold thugs pushing drugs or running a mini-brothel, but who have the larger numbers of the GDs to call on should problems arise with rival gangs.

the big ones are pretty established, and aren't going anywhere until drugs are legalized and they lose that revenue.

when you've got a gang that's been active for three or four DECADES, they've got friends in the CPD, schools, connections everywhere, really - they are pretty much thoroughly inter-woven in the social fabric, the gang is seen as a career choice (for worse far more than better, of course).

you can move the larger populations out with gentrification, but that doesn't really solve underlying problems - and many gang problems result from gang A being pushed into gang B's turf, much to the chagrin of the law-abiding folk who live in the crossfire.

Old 05-07-2009, 09:11 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,196,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucktown3756 View Post
The reason the Latin Kings are so big is because of all the smaller gangs that are allies to them. They wouldnt be **** if it wasnt for allies. But now a days everyone has turned KK (against them) and they arent as big, tough or violent as they once were.
Latin Kings are still the dominant latino gang in the entire Chicago area. You have a Latin King set all over , including Harvey. I think the LKs are the second largest gang in Chicago.

Old 05-07-2009, 09:20 PM

115 posts, read 385,651 times
the slag valley boys are the largest gang in chicago and all of Illinois

YouTube - SLAG VALLEY BOYz

Old 05-07-2009, 09:25 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,609,770 times
I don't think so buddy....

Regardless,whomever put this video up in YouTube is an absolute idiot. Police will be able to identify at least half of these morons from the pics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago