Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 07:25 PM

84 posts, read 333,294 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

I'm seriously considering a move to Chicago (I live in Pittsburgh at the moment) and had a few questions. I'm interested in downtown living and would like to be in a safe, walkable area. Having said that, is it going to be a problem to find an apartment with parking for my vehicle and is the fact that I have a dog an issue?

Also, what would be your neighborhood recommendations? I'm an early 30's single professional who works from home and would like to live around other singles in my age range...

Lastly, are there any reasonable hotels that you can recommend on the Mile? I called several last week and they all seem to run in the $400 a night range and don't have free on-site parking. I would like to visit Chicago in a few weeks and just need a safe, clean hotel room in a good location to stay at while I look around.

Thanks in advance for any/all help you can provide, it is much appreciated.

Lance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2008, 09:27 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,191,133 times
Lincoln Park, Wicker Park, and parts of lakeview have a heavy single population. There is a strong commercial district on Clark St. in Lincoln Park and Lakeview and Milwaukee Ave. in Wicker Park. All three of these neighborhoods are pretty safe. In my opinion, the best hotel in the Mag Mile area is The Four Seasons, but it will run you about $400 a day.

Old 07-04-2008, 10:28 PM

1,325 posts, read 4,195,685 times
Default relocation to chicago

I would suggest Lakeview, Lincoln Park, or Wicker Park (with my personal preference being Lakeview and LP due to their proximity to the Lake/running paths/etc). Checkout Craigslist, the Chicago Reader, and perhaps even try a few apartment rental services (they are free to you, and charge the landlord).

As for a hotel, I would suggest you go to Cheap Flights, Hotels, and Rental Cars -- Discount Airfare | Priceline.com and use the "name your own price" feature for a hotel in the North Michigan Avenue/Magnif. Mile/Gold Coast area. It is the best way to get a good hotel at a lower price (however, you will still have to pay for parking at most).

Old 07-04-2008, 10:35 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,597,919 times
Plan your trip around when you can get a hotel room at a reasonable price first. Why do you have to stay on the mag mile? You are going to pay through the nose for parking in those hotels.

Hotwire.com

Expedia.com (http://www.expedia.com/daily/home/?semcid=13172-1_b&eapid=13172-1&kword=expedia - broken link)

Orbitz.com

For example,you can easily stay at the Howard Johnson at 720 N La Salle Dr
for around 100 a night and get free parking. Search the sites I posted above. You have to remember this is peak season for hotels. If you come in September you will find much better deals.

Last edited by Avengerfire; 07-04-2008 at 10:45 PM..

Old 07-04-2008, 11:58 PM

84 posts, read 333,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Why do you have to stay on the mag mile? You are going to pay through the nose for parking in those hotels.
I really just wanted to stay in a safe area that was in the middle of the action so to speak, but it is really going to make my trip a lot more expensive than I had planned.

What (safe) areas would you recommend where parking will not be an issue? I would still like to be as close as possible to downtown.

Thanks for all of the replies so far, much appreciated!

Lance

Old 07-05-2008, 12:03 AM

38 posts, read 106,197 times
I've stayed at the Amalfi, and the Affinia, both were nice. I think the rates have gone up a bit, but I think it's around 200.... not very affordable but better than 400. Parking is still extra though.......

Old 07-10-2008, 09:50 AM

6 posts, read 17,094 times
If you want to be around all the "action" - it's not downtown. I used to live lived downtown for a year and quickly moved to a neighborhood with nightlife but I still work downtown for 15 years and when I work late nothing has changed - it is very quiet at night. A great "upcoming" area is Lincoln Square and Andersonville. In my opinion it is more of a 30 something scene.

Old 07-15-2008, 01:44 PM

23 posts, read 48,189 times
I like the South Loop area, which is growing and has good activities for singles. The condos are cheaper, which is part of the lure for younger people. Look at 1555 South Wabash area (I think it's 1555 Wabash Chicago.com, or even through New West Realty.com who sells the homes). They have a $30,000 incentive now, as well as an onsite fitness center.
As for hotels on the mag mile, I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express on the Mag Mile at 640 N. Wabash. The cost was $120, parking was $20. It was clean, and around the corner from everything there.

Old 07-15-2008, 07:57 PM

838 posts, read 3,096,109 times
Said OPS specifically mentioned that he wanted DOWNTOWN LIVING. with that in mind, I would suggest the following:

West Loop
Gold Coast
River North

Old 07-16-2008, 11:54 AM

3 posts, read 6,584 times
stay out of the city, just a bunch of thugs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago