Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 01:32 PM

1 posts, read 2,805 times

Advertisements

My husband and I started out in Chicago (NW side) and moved to Arlington Heights when the kids were school age. Than when they started middle school we moved out to Cary, Il. (Big time Sports town). Since, my kids have been struggling out here with nothing to do, they are not athletic, my son is a fantastic Guitar Player and struggles with ADHD. The problem out here is nothing for these kids to do but Hang-Out and at least 90% of the kids are into drugs. We are more of an artistic family, not too much sports relative. My husband works downtown and also plays in a Band throughout Chicago. We feel moving out kids back to the City would give them more to do, also more oppurtunities. We are also thinking of sending them to Private Schools. What area's are nice to raise kids in. I was thinking of Roscoe Village but what others might be more kid friendly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2008, 01:54 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,597,919 times
Go back to the NW side. Try to get your kids into Whitney Young,Lane Tech,or Northside.If they cant get in send them to a private school for sure. You do not want your kids going to a neighborhood public H.S. in the city.

Old 07-06-2008, 07:17 PM

1,083 posts, read 3,723,507 times
I'd try to get the school issue taken care of before you move. You don't want to be in the city and not at a magnet or private HS.

Old 07-06-2008, 09:24 PM

838 posts, read 3,096,109 times
Glenco, Wilmette, evanston, lincoln park all have great schools. There are new single family homes for sale behind my house, and they start from $2 million and above. I am not aware of teen drug issues in the above mentioned areas

Old 07-07-2008, 04:36 AM

1 posts, read 2,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momof2Teens View Post
. The problem out here is nothing for these kids to do but Hang-Out and at least 90% of the kids are into drugs. We are more of an artistic family, not too much sports relative.
We moved from the western burbs to North Center about 1 1/2 years ago and have not looked back. My teens love it here. We rode our bikes to the lake and watched the fireworks from fullerton beach. We walk to Lincoln square or Roscoe Village for dinner. We hang out with our neighbors sometimes in the evening. It's a great place to live.

Regarding the kids into drugs - it's not just the suburbs. Private schools, public schools, suburbs, in-town the kids are into drugs and alcohol. You can't protect your kids from it. I have 4 kids ranging in age from 21 to 8. I have experience with suburban schools, private schools in the city and Bell School (which we love dearly but it only goes to 8th grade). Drugs and alcohol are everywhere and the only thing you can do is talk frequently and honestly about the risks.

My kids are heavily into music and acting and have absolutely loved living in the city. They hated the burbs. If you want your kids to be involved in athletics for the health aspect and because it's part of a classical education, the attitude in the city seems healthier to me (you can, of course, find your fanatics anywhere).

Old 07-07-2008, 06:15 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
I completelty understand your desire to be closer to organized things to do for both kids and adults than out in Cary -- that is quite far out.

I know that there are a lot of good programs for kids music at a variety of places, including the Lincoln Square home of Old Town School of Folk Music. My sister lives in Lincoln Square. The cost of housing, especially anything that would compare favorably with something that you might be accustomed to from Arlington Heights, is quite high. In fact given the situation with real estate prices in general I would be extremely concerned that this is going to be a very tough financial move.

I appreciate that you may have had a very pleasant experience growing up on the NW side of Chicago, but costs have risen dramatically, and despite recent set back, are far from different than what they once were. The costs of private school are quite substanstial, even the most affordadable high schools would represent a HUGE committment for two kids x4 years each.

Maybe it would make sense to explore options in the more urban inner ring suburbs, or those areas adjacent that are known to be a bit more affordable -- getting to LIncoln Square would be a very easy drive, and not too much hassle via public transit if you started even in the least expensive part of Wilmette, where the kids would also be going to the top rated New Trier. Other areas that might represent a better total value include Niles, Skokie, Morton Grove, Park Ridge, DesPlaines, Mt. Prospect, and even the town you once left, Arlington Heights.

You might also look to the west suburbs like Oak Park, or LaGrange. Both OPRF and Lyons Township have very good reputations when it comes to art and music. Riverside-Brookfield High School does very well on the national rankings, among the best in the region, as a plus homes in Brookfield represent a very good value.

I also know that some of the south suburbs are a good value -- not sure if you family would disown you for moving from NW to south, but towns like Oak Lawn, Palos Hills all have a feeling not that different from the NW side of your youth with schools that at least respectable.

I have to tell you, as others have, that there is nowhere to 'move away' from drug using kids. The City almost certainly makes access to illegal drugs easier for kids (and adults), every suburb is effected by this problem. It starts with parents that do not provide sufficient guidance to their kids, and too often the drug using parents of one idiot family send a message that it is "no big deal" and then the kids have no motivation and fall into trap that robs them of their ability to be successful at anything.

I also have to warn you that it is probably TOO LATE to do anything for this fall if you have to sell your home in Cary. Sales are taking MUCH longer and I would caution you that July is not a good time to list in our region. Many people use this time for vacation and it is harder to find buyers. If you are serious about selling and moving, to have maximum opportunity I suggest listing in 2009 -- perhaps as early as late January , early Feb., and plan a closing with possesion after the end of school. That would give whoever were shopping Cary maximum time to settle in and you would have the whole spring/summer to get your new place.

This sort of move is also hard on teens, even moreso if your kids are quiet and don't easily make new friends. I would involve them in not just picking a house that has bedroom with paint they like, but visit the potential areas. Tour the schools they'd go to. Pick up the program guide for the Park District and seek out activities that they might like. Find a music store and see if they have contacts for younger guitar players.

Lot of work ahead of you, Good Luck!

Old 07-07-2008, 08:20 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,776,941 times
I don't know what your budget is, but Southport, North Center, Lincoln Square, Ravenswood Manor, Roscoe Village, Sauganash, Edgebrook, and parts of Lincoln Park would all be great places to live with teens (among other neighborhoods). It all depends on your budget for housing and schooling, however. And as someone else mentioned, you'll really want to make sure the schooling part is taken care of before you make the move. Most of the good city schools have tough admissions policies and/or high tuition.

Old 07-07-2008, 01:46 PM

1,156 posts, read 3,749,100 times
Beverly or Mt. Greenwood on the far south side would also be great choices for you. You'll get a little more bang for your buck, and the neighborhoods both have good reps. There are a lot of private school options in the area, parochial and otherwise - Brother Rice, Mother McAuley, Marist, Morgan PArk Academy... I am not real familiar with the city magnet schools, but I think there's one or two on the south side that get good results. Also in Beverly you have the Beverly Arts Center and Old World School of Folk Music, with lots of arts and music programs. Overall really lovely neighborhoods and each has a distinct feel to it. But I like Beverly because it still feels like the city to me. Also Mt. Greenwood is a police/firefighter neighborhood and so people are a little more strict/praochial with their kids' upbringing.

Old 07-07-2008, 10:10 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Default Agree with everything except...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdc3217 View Post
a police/firefighter neighborhood and so people are a little more strict/praochial with their kids' upbringing.
A very BAD assumption to make. I have seen more than a few kids with dads (or moms) that are in law enforcement have a miserable upbringing, the ability for such kids to be "shielded from consequences" is / was a huge detriment. Maybe the parents had some guilt or felt that they were making up for being on patrol instead of at little league, but I would not assume that having kids with parents that are cops is a good thing...

Old 07-08-2008, 07:55 AM

1,156 posts, read 3,749,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
A very BAD assumption to make. I have seen more than a few kids with dads (or moms) that are in law enforcement have a miserable upbringing, the ability for such kids to be "shielded from consequences" is / was a huge detriment. Maybe the parents had some guilt or felt that they were making up for being on patrol instead of at little league, but I would not assume that having kids with parents that are cops is a good thing...
I hear you Chet...I hesitated in putting this in, but from my time in the neighborhood, and knowing kids in the neighborhood, I did feel that there was a good general parenting culture. And definitely a lot of parochial schools. And actually more stay at home parents than is the norm. Now of course, there are kids that die from drug OD's and there are certainly troubles/stresses that go with law enforcement families but in general I think this is a good city neighborhood for families.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago