Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 07:51 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManheimMadman View Post
Where are these crap family kids coming from? Anywhere else in the city?
I am not saying the kids from the other areas are violent. When I say crap it does not always mean the people are crap-in this case it means the kids are coming from a less than desired upbringing.

Because of their economic and family status many are doomed to fail from the get go. For example:when the parents dont speak English well (if at all) or the students are coming from a single parent household that never helps...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 09:20 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,255,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
I am not saying the kids from the other areas are violent. When I say crap it does not always mean the people are crap-in this case it means the kids are coming from a less than desired upbringing.

Because of their economic and family status many are doomed to fail from the get go. For example:when the parents dont speak English well (if at all) or the students are coming from a single parent household that never helps...
Easy fella, I wasn't questioning your logic, I was asking if they came from certain neighborhoods or whatnot. I agree that it's kind of hard for some of these kids to succeed when they only speak polish or spanish. I'm taking a class right now designed to help ELL kids, and let me tell you- it's a challenge. However, when they pick up English, these kids are brilliant.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManheimMadman View Post
Easy fella, I wasn't questioning your logic, I was asking if they came from certain neighborhoods or whatnot. I agree that it's kind of hard for some of these kids to succeed when they only speak polish or spanish. I'm taking a class right now designed to help ELL kids, and let me tell you- it's a challenge. However, when they pick up English, these kids are brilliant.
Yeah, many of them are bused in from the Austin and Logan Square (as well as other parts of the West Side) to Jeff Park and other Northwest Side Communities. Does that answer your question?

Old 07-08-2008, 09:45 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepreacherswife View Post
Of course, you mean Albany Park...
Oops, accidentally typed it twice...

Old 07-08-2008, 09:49 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,255,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Yeah, many of them are bused in from the Austin and Logan Square (as well as other parts of the West Side) to Jeff Park and other Northwest Side Communities. Does that answer your question?
Yessir! I did not know about that.

Old 07-09-2008, 07:39 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
Avengerfire, I've always been curious where the kids are coming from in some of these North Side schools. You are a product of CPS, correct? I know you were in grade school in the 1980s in Edgewater and/or the Northwest Side, but where were your classmates bussed in from? I suppose Edgewater has its own population of urban thugs...

Old 07-09-2008, 08:46 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
It is not just the thug factor, though that can be a problem. The kids are not accountable and develop bad habits. The teachers tend to accept it. It can start with something that seems little like them not turning in homework (and I mean AT ALL) and there being no real recourse because the kids parents live half away across the city, don't know English themselves and really don't know that they are supposed to be involved in checking that. BTW I think the way the measure parent involvement is sending home a form letter and when it comes back with a signature that makes it OK...
The lack of parents with a clue means that the kids that don't get it are a drag on the school, the teachers, and ultimately the whole system. The spend so much time with record keeping to satisfy the state and federal standards that the need for funding that it is harder to get actual learning done. When the kids don't shape up they tend to just hover around the fringe of the CPS schools, never really making progress but not having much recourse. For kids with special needs or issues the CPS is even worse.

It is very different in pretty much every suburb, even the less affluent areas. If the kid doesn't turn something in the parents are much more likely to hear about. If the school has a lot of none English speaking parents there is a good bet that more a few of the staff are fluent in the parents' native language. Parents get called in for conferences and kids are threatened with suspension or hold back. If kids don't shape up they can and do get sent to remedial sections, and ultimately can end up in the regional "alternative" schools. The way that suburban districts kick in to support these things for both problem kids, special needs /issues it generally works pretty well. The kids who get the help they need can do pretty well and the kids that are better off in regular classrooms make more progress.

The deal is pretty simple -- places where there are lots of affordable places for clueless families to rent or buy have higher percentage of clueless parents. Places that expensive to buy into or find a rental tend to have LOTS few of these problems.
The CPS is still moving kids around to try and get some kind of mythic racial balance. At this point it ain't about race. It is about what happens when regular classroom teachers have more than one or two special needs kids that can do OK, ALONG WITH some kids of clueless parents, ALONG with an overcrowded classroom, ALONG with kids that mysteriously move. It sucks.

Old 07-09-2008, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Avengerfire, I've always been curious where the kids are coming from in some of these North Side schools. You are a product of CPS, correct? I know you were in grade school in the 1980s in Edgewater and/or the Northwest Side, but where were your classmates bussed in from? I suppose Edgewater has its own population of urban thugs...
I actually never went to school in Edgewater. We moved a few times while I was in grade school. I went to grade school in Edison Park,Albany Park, and Portage Park.

I actually went to 4 grade schools. The first one and last one were the two best out of the four. I graduated from a magnet grammar school.

Most of my classmates (that were bussed in) at all of the schools I went to were bussed in from Austin and the neighborhoods contained in West Town and Humboldt Park. The magnet school was a little different, we had kids from many more areas including Albany Park, Jefferson Park,Norwood Park and the areas I mentioned above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: