Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 08:59 AM

22 posts, read 86,290 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the responses! We're traveling to Chicago tomorrow to look for a house (we'll rent at first.... since we have not sold our other house yet). We'll spend some time looking at houses in the NW neighborhoods I mentioned.... so does anyone have some RESTAURANT recommendations for that area?

Also...let me throw another question your way... How does this general area compare to Skokie? (we'll look at some homes there as well)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2008, 12:41 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,697,699 times
I like most of the NW neighborhoods a little more than Skokie. A little more character.

What kind of cuisine do you like?

Old 07-12-2008, 02:16 PM

South American. Japanese (any Asian). Thai. ...anything with a kick, really.

Old 07-14-2008, 01:07 AM

346 posts, read 706,758 times
Greetings theadamsfamily, how has the search been going?
Basically, of all the places you listed, MY favorite place would be Edgebrook. It's beautiful and quiet, is near Metra, and is one of the most quiet areas of Chicago. Edgebrook has a somewhat suburban feel to it almost. I have two good friends who live there and I find it so tranquil that I would leave my doors open at night if I lived there. (Warning: Do not follow my advice because you can never be too safe even in Beverly Hills.) The schools are also very good, Edgebrook Public School, which is on the edge of the very upper-class West Lincolnwood, is a great school. My neighbor teaches there, actually.

If you like Thai food, on Touhy Ave., across from the "Leaning tower of Niles" (A replica of the leaning tower of Pisa, which is north of Edgebrook), there's a place called Thong Thai. Probably the best thai food in the area.

The other two places I'm not so familiar about, so I will refrain from talking about them - but you can't go wrong with Edgebrook. Plus, there's a ton of cops that seem to live there. I can count 4 parked cop cars on one street.

If I had to choose between Edgebrook and Skokie, I'd choose Edgebrook, but that's me. Skokie is still a great place to live but has some very small sections that are not so hot.

Old 07-16-2008, 08:29 PM

Thanks for the rec on Thai food... we'll definitely try that restaurant tomorrow! Today we ate at a Korean place on Bryn Mawr, close to NEIU. Very good food.

The search is going well... I think we'll rent in the city and not the 'burbs.

Old 07-16-2008, 09:03 PM

15,585 posts, read 27,424,611 times
Perhaps try Budlong Woods, if you have the money and do not mind sending your kids to a Lutheran School, go with St Philip Lutheran School.

http://www.stphiliplutheran.com/st-philip-lutheran-contact-us.asp (broken link)

Old 07-19-2008, 06:17 PM

We tried the Thai restaurant and loved it, thanks! But... what's up with that Leaning Tower of Niles????? Did any of the neighbors complain when it was built?

Old 07-19-2008, 06:26 PM

15,585 posts, read 27,424,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theadamsfamily View Post
...But... what's up with that Leaning Tower of Niles????? Did any of the neighbors complain when it was built?
At the time it was built (1934) not too many people lived around there,the area was not really developed much.

Most people actually like it. It is a half size exact replica of the tower in Pisa. Besides it is a water tower. I for one would rather it look like it does than some really ugly plain water tower.

Old 03-03-2010, 03:11 PM

1 posts, read 2,038 times
I grew up in Norwood Park and have watched it grow over the years. Oriole Park is a magnet school and though it is culturally diverse, there is a strong sense of community and you have your mix of of lifers (homeowners since the beginning of time) and new young families. Kids are kids wherever you go, but there is a more conservative lifestyle here. I endorse it highly. Edison Park is more of what you might call a "Bedroom community". Mostly inhabited by commuters and dot commers. Both communities have always had a Polish, German, and Scandinavian influence, but over the past few years there are more middle easterners (sleeper cells?) and professional african americans, but no disruptive behavior. I like living in Norwood Park. It's small town in a big city. By the way, does anyone out there remember Little Edison? It was a prefab K-3 school on Peterson & Olympia right by Higgins. Also Flynn's candy store? Mrs. Laskewicz? Mr. Hiemlich? Mrs. Mooney? Bud's?

Old 03-03-2010, 04:51 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,222,063 times
I have nothing really awesome to add except for the fact that I love these little border communities. I travel to work from Albany Park to the border of Niles and North Edgebrook (I could throw a rock from my office to Chicago soil). Sometimes I detour off of Caldwell and peruse Wildwood and Edgebrook and I love it. Like others have said, it is very tranquil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago