U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 01:25 PM

9 posts, read 16,306 times

Advertisements

[LEFT]
[/LEFT]
what of wicker park & Bucktown? I hear those areas are pretty nice, how is the commute to NEIU from there?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2008, 03:30 PM

11,973 posts, read 29,520,026 times
Just live in East Lakeview. You're gay and in your twenties, and you'll be much happier there. Buena Park would be fine as well, but the commute would be worse if you want to take the train.

Here's how you do it:

Live near the BROWN line (so don't get too far north of Belmont). Take it to Kimball (end of the line), and walk the last seven blocks. EASY. Or you can take the Kimball bus (82?) north if you're cold and don't want to walk the last leg.

Old 09-12-2008, 03:46 PM

1,083 posts, read 3,474,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanatlarge View Post
Hi, i am an 18 year old gay male and my partner and I want to move to chicago summer of 09. We both currently attend Wichita State University in Wichita, Ks and HATE IT! This is not the part of the country for "our people". Chicago is appealing bcz its a large urban area without the outrageous prices of Nyc or La. With that said i need some input.

We are looking at transferring to Northeastern Illinois University. Now, i know this is no UIC or anything but it has the best out of state tuition for us. What is this school's general reputation? Ive seen some good reviews and bad so i don't know lol.

Second, from the looks of it we would like to live in the lakeview or buena park area. We are both servers and assuming we would make what we make here we can afford about 1100 at most for rent. Any other neighborhood suggestions would be appreciated.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP!
I knew a very smart girl who finished her degree in education at Northeastern, she was very happy with the education she received. If you are planning on living here longterm, far more people will be familiar with Northeastern than WSU.

Old 09-14-2008, 09:20 PM

295 posts, read 520,013 times
I have two graduate degrees in education from NEIU, and after having spent wads on my undergrad, found it to be incredibly affordable and a good education. It used to be a teachers' college so anything in education and you will be happy. Besides, in education there is less emphasis on where you got your degree - either way you'll have the salary you'll have and the loans have to be repaid, so I was VERY happy w/ neiu. Also, it's very diverse which is great. As for the gay friendly neighborhoods, you're really fine on most northside areas. Uptown gets dicey. You might think about Lincoln Square. You can hop on the brown line then bus it to NEIU, or you can bus to foster then west to NEIU. In Andersonville, you can go west on Foster to NEIU (Doesn't seem like it would be 45 minutes). There are gay folks concentrated in Lakeview and Andersonville, but you'll find plenty in other hoods as well so feel free to explore - Chicago is pretty gay friendly overall. Good luck!

Old 09-15-2008, 08:50 PM

838 posts, read 2,934,193 times
Lincoln park!!!

Old 09-16-2008, 09:42 PM

9 posts, read 16,306 times
[LEFT]
[/LEFT]
too rich for my blood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago