U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 09:31 PM

2,660 posts, read 6,387,113 times

Advertisements

Opinions are like a-holes ... so what I say doesn't matter at all, but this forum is great for getting entertainment out of debating opinions . Here are my thoughts after a short weekend trip and obviously I only got to see about 20% of chi-town at the most.

Chicago
First off, let me say that you guys have an AWESOME city. Secondly, I must say that while it is an awsome city, it is not my style. I prefer the southeast and the southwest/west coast, but then again, those areas are where I have spent 98% of my life. But let's get back to the good. The city is huge. The housing structures are very cool (at least in what I observed hanging around Clark, Ashland, and Halstedt in between Peterson and Downtown). The skyline is great, the lake is nice, and Navy Pier is a great tourist spot. Wrigleyville is a good hang-out area. The city has alot of diversity. There are more latino/mexican than black or white (which I found unexpected and weird considering the city's location in the U.S. ... but that is cool in its own way). Downtown itself felt VERY safe and had ALOT to do. Plus, the beach is nice to have right next to booming city streets. However, I was not that impressed with the magnificent mile. Sure, it looked very cool and there were thousands of people there. But it only consisted of boring high-end snooty shops and nothing else. I much prefered the funky districts north of downtown. We did go in the Hancock Tower though which was amazing. But anyways, everyone in each part of town was very nice to us. Kudos for that. Had a great time. Plus, everyone bikes everywhere and the feeling of a community seems strong there. We didn't spend much time on the southside, but on the way out today down I-55 we wanted to eat in a food court, and were told that there was a mall (Ford City) off S. Cicero by the Midway airport. We went there. Kindof a low-end mall to say the least, but everyone was still nice (even though we were the only "caucasion people" in the entire mall). On a side note that I forgot to mention, we loved the huge "Nuts on Clark" sign considering that we are immature perverts.

Heart of Chicago Motel
This place was "good enough". It served its purpose, which was to be a cheap place to sleep. Our room did had the coolest bathroom. Yellow floor, yellow tiles, yellow wallpaper, yellow tub, yellow sink, yellow toilet, and yellow shower curtain. The only thing that was not yellow was the mirror. Another positive was that the front desk employees were very nice and helpful. Now, the area was not the best. We didn't feel "unsafe", but we didn't feel completely comfortable either when walking around the block. Most people we came by were great, but wanna-be thugs also roamed about. On a side note (and I mean this in a humerous way and do not mean to offend regarding that area), we felt less like "white outsiders" when we stayed in El Paso, TX. No biggie though. Hopefully we will be better off financially next time, but I would stay there again if I needed another $70-a-night place.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2008, 09:53 PM

1,325 posts, read 3,899,536 times
Default your chicago visit

Very interesting detail about your trip. Thanks for posting.

You say you prefer the southeast/southwest/west coast. What do you like better about those areas?

Old 07-13-2008, 10:02 PM

55 posts, read 262,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsimicata View Post
Very interesting detail about your trip. Thanks for posting.

You say you prefer the southeast/southwest/west coast. What do you like better about those areas?
I'm guessing the sun.

Old 07-13-2008, 10:12 PM

11,973 posts, read 29,541,324 times
Plenty of sun in Chicago in July...

Old 07-14-2008, 04:05 AM

38,704 posts, read 95,706,692 times
Interesting observations. For one, it may have seemed like there were more Latinos than blacks in Chicago, but that's not the case. It just seems that way if you spend most of your time between downtown and the north side, because there are so few blacks on the north side. However, the south and west sides are predominantly black and they form a plurality of the population. Latinos are better integrated into the rest of the city so they have a far stronger presence in the north side.

Second, it's kind of weird that you felt like "white outsiders" where Heart of Chicago is because that area is predominantly white with some Hispanic.

I can't believe I didn't think to have you check out The Fireside pub that's about 3 blocks away from the hotel, especially since it was open until 5am on Saturday night. It's one of my faves in town.

Old 07-14-2008, 08:58 AM

3,628 posts, read 9,675,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oscottscotto View Post
We didn't feel "unsafe", but we didn't feel completely comfortable either when walking around the block. Most people we came by were great, but wanna-be thugs also roamed about.
Hah, you learn to ignore the thug wannabes if you're here for any extended period of time.

Old 07-14-2008, 07:32 PM

2,297 posts, read 5,759,134 times
Hurrah! You've survived visiting Ford City! (A joke. Way too many people firmly believe they will promptly be shot if they venture more then a block from Midway).

Old 07-14-2008, 08:36 PM

7,297 posts, read 14,401,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post

I can't believe I didn't think to have you check out The Fireside pub that's about 3 blocks away from the hotel, especially since it was open until 5am on Saturday night. It's one of my faves in town.
Is that place great or what? It's not just great late night food. It's great FOOD. I'm a big fan of the Fireside.

Old 07-14-2008, 09:26 PM

38,704 posts, read 95,706,692 times
Heh... I'm more a fan of the beer selection and the patio out back. I've actually been underwhelmed by the food enough times that I don't eat there any more.

Old 07-14-2008, 09:33 PM

7,297 posts, read 14,401,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Heh... I'm more a fan of the beer selection and the patio out back. I've actually been underwhelmed by the food enough times that I don't eat there any more.
Really? I mean, I'll grant that I'm kinda grading on a curve because I never eat there before midnight, but I think the food's pretty darn good.

I dig the patio and the beer, too.

And I like that it's by the castle where we keep our dead.

(Seriously, the gate to the Rosehill Cemetary over by Fireside gives me the heebie jeebies at night when it's all lit up.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago