Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Chicago high crime rates compared to New York, Los Angeles, reasons for Chicago crime problems, illegal immigrants not as responsible for crime rates as some think

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 03:57 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Chicago (suburbs included) is a bajillion times better than B-N, we ALL know this. End of story. Move on.

You say you have "no problem with Chicago" then go on in the next sentence and state youd never move to a "crime ridden, dirty city" and yada, yada, yada. Dont try and hide your inner feelings, youre doing a horrible job at it.

If B-N had 1/100th the soul of Chicago and its suburbs, maybe then you could talk.
C'mon, man. Different strokes for different folks. It's not exactly self-evident that Chicago and its suburbs is better than B-N. In comparing a small urban area versus a large one, they each have their benefits and drawbacks. People have their reasons for picking one versus the other. That doesn't make either one better or worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2007, 07:52 PM

105 posts, read 157,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Chicago (suburbs included) is a bajillion times better than B-N, we ALL know this. End of story. Move on.

You say you have "no problem with Chicago" then go on in the next sentence and state youd never move to a "crime ridden, dirty city" and yada, yada, yada. Dont try and hide your inner feelings, youre doing a horrible job at it.

If B-N had 1/100th the soul of Chicago and its suburbs, maybe then you could talk.
Ok. I have never said that B-N is any more desirable or has a bigger vibe then Chicago proper. Again, I have only stated, that IMO!, the Twin Cities, C-U, and the Peoria suburbs beat out the nothern suburbs. Nothing about Chicago! When I say that I would rather live in B-N over a Shaumburg that in no way suggests that I think that we are 'partying it up" more than the people in Chicago. And once again, you are bringing up the suburbs when the thread was not even about them. Some people have a problem making the seperation between work and home. You seem to have a problem making the seperation between Chicago and the suburbs. ONCE AND FOR ALL! THEY ARE NOT THE SAME THING! If you have something to add to this then fine, but don't come on a thread and bring up something that has nothing to do with the issue.

As for me saying that I love Chicago, and then bashing it, what is your point? B-N is a farm town that you still see people walking down the road with straw in their mouths. OK! I'm a realist. You can still like something but understand it's negatives. Drover and j33 seem to understand this. This just goes the show you how people from the city, do not calim the suburbs, but the suburbs are all over the city. Steve-O, If you are going to sit there and say that Chicago doesn't have anything of what I just described then you seriously need to take a class buddy. You are fighting an uphill battle. No matter how hard yo fight it here, Chicago is never going to be looked at as hip or happening besides people that live in Illinois, or directly near. Even though you may not think it, L.A. and New York, Orlando, Boulder, etc. will always have that appeal. Chicago is reserved for other things. Fight for the city stands for, not what you think it should be. I have been pm'ing' a forum memeber from California, and they are blown away how you don't seem to understand steryotype in the least. Chicago will always be known for crime and filth. But on the flip side has so many other things that make it positive. Don't make ignorant comments about how it is clean and safe for a city it's size. That is just rediculous.

Old 01-21-2007, 08:59 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
We'll just agree to disagree. We can agree on some areas of Chicago are filthy, some are beautiful and clean, particularly the downtown which is arguably the cleanest big-city downtown in the USA. B-N has its positives, and its negatives, as does Chicago. Im tired of arguing about this, its pointless. But for what its worth, Chicago is definitely HIP and definitely world class, hence its tens of millions of visitors every year.

Spend some time in Detroit, LA, Memphis, Newark, Philly, etc and youll see that there are smaller cities that are FAR dirtier.

Last edited by Steve-o; 01-21-2007 at 09:19 PM..

Old 01-21-2007, 10:03 PM

Yes, Chicago is hip and fun, I understand this, as well as the rest of downstate and Iowa(since they don't really that big of a city). But if you take the average John Doe, from Omaha, and give him the option between L.A, Chicago, or New York, we all know what he would choose and what he wouldn't. Chicago just doesn't come to mind when you think of vactioning or spending some time outdoors. And I think it is very belittling to tell someone that there city has no class or soul. Let's take a Dallas. For starters this town is a lot younger then you, and has only become popular in fairly recent memory. It is in an entirely different part of the country, in an entirely different enviroment in everyway. This city has not had the time to gain a significant class or attitude other then the cowboy way of thought. Chicago is an old town, with lots of history. Just because Wrigley field is the premier place to play baseball, doesn' t mean that their fields someday won't rank even higher. History is not that far yet. But I'm sure back in the day, Boston and New York looked at it like it was some sort of knock off. Don't attack these cities that are where Chicago was many many years ago. If someone feels that it is good, then let them have it peacefully. Don't mock them by telling them that is bad. You must not have a job that requires you to move, because if you did, you might have some understanding of it. If I was moved to Detriot, and someone like you only beat the city down and the area, the place were I am entrusting my family too, how am I going ot feel. Now I am thick skinned and could really carealess what you think. But I have seen you try to take out people that don't have your viewpoint(the guy from Denver issue). That was uncalled for and he was not attacking. Simply informing. Maybe not in the best way, but he had a point. Denver has class, just not the Chicago kind. I would move to Denver at the drop of a hat, and many people must like to as well. Go to Indianapolis and say your statments downtown. I'm sure many that have your thought will be hunting you down. There is more to a city then the shopping, dining and nightlife. Everycity is different and you need to come to terms with that. Just because Indy has knockoff food, doesn't mean that it can't offer a lifestyle far superior to that of Chicago. Chicago has it's problems, just like every city, but give it a rest and stop telling people that their home country is nothing compared to the greatness of Chicago. What works for you, does not for everyone. The downtown is nice, but of course it is. That is were the money is spent. But I would have to say that while Detriot isn't as pretty downtown, the overall metro area is much more decent then Chicago. I guess you have been there for so long that you can't see the cry of help that your area is need of. While Detriot is not clean by any means, it is overall. Chicago seems to just exile these people to the south and southwest areas. That is worse! At least Detriot is honest about there problem, while Chicago keeps them away from the places that make the money. I'll let you make the decision now, which is worse the city that shows the world there problem, or the other that hides them while the public shops on the streets? It is easy to see which one has succombed to the all mighty dollar.

Last edited by llama214; 01-21-2007 at 10:13 PM..

Old 01-22-2007, 08:32 AM

Llama, you couldnt be more wrong. Chicago is reinventing itself, has been for the past decade. As for someone picking LA or NYC, you cant generalize all people and say they wouldnt pick Chicago over the two, youre just dead wrong. LA is NOT a desirable place to live unless youre a millionaire or a struggling illegal immigrant. Housing prices are rediculous out there, there is hardly a middle class. Heck, 1/2 of Utah, Idaho and Arizona are California refugees who just cant afford to live there, same with NYC. So once again youre wrong in stating LA and NYC are better places to live. If you want to talk about cities that shut out their problems, those two rank higher than Chicago (or lower depending how you look at the situation). NYC is probably the most expensive place to live in the country (urban wise), LA probably a super close 2nd.

Last edited by Steve-o; 01-22-2007 at 09:59 AM..

Old 01-22-2007, 02:19 PM

OK. It is obvious now that no decent debate can happen on this forum. You simply change the thread into which city is better. You don't understand! You have lived in Chiacgo your whole life and can't see it any other way. You see L.A. as nothing but illegals and pollution. Again, read this carefully! L.A., to everybody outside of Chicago, still is desirable. Not to everyone, no, but the majority would move there in a heart beat. Who wouldn't want to say they could afford a beautiful beach front mansion, and live in the sun year round. There is just a taste that certain cities leave in your mouth. Chicago's overall hasn't changed. While it may have done so with improving itself, someone from an Oregon is not going to think that. THEY JUST AREN'T! You tell others not to generalize, but you do the most of anyone here. From what I have read about you, you grew up in Chicago(suburb), went to school in the area, and now still live in it. While you may have visited these other areas, you CAN NOT understand them unless you live there! There is no other way to do it. Just visiting Dallas for a few weeks isn't going to show you. Sure, pick any city apart and look for ways that Chiago beats it out, that is the way to look at a city properly! How would you feel if you went to the Georgia forum and saw someone from Atlanta, who is in the same boat you are, and is making blind observations about Chicago, and the few times they have been there. I have been all over the country myself. There are far more desirable areas than either Chicago, Atlanta, or even B-N.

But once again you have completely missed the point of this thread. You were one of the ones I was trying to get through to. Don't tell new members that Chicago has little crime for a city it's size. IT DOESN'T. PERIOD! End of debate! You are slandering these people and making there exsistance even more unknown to a stranger. Can't you see the damage you are doing. They are desperate, and when a fairly young person like yourself makes these remarks it turns my stomach. You haven't seen the world, so you can't stand and judge. Your city is the standard for crime and poverty in the country. Even New Orleans beat you out! Embrace it and make it better. Denying poverty is only going to make it worse. Let us pray that Lake Michigan never overflows. What a tragedy we would have on our hands then.

Last edited by llama214; 01-22-2007 at 02:34 PM..

Old 01-22-2007, 02:39 PM

Llama, all I can say is that its apparent that you havent traveled much. I admitted I am only basing my opinions on my short travels to each of these cities, but its apparent youve missed that (several times). And LA is NOT paradise. Yes, the weather is arguably the best in the states, but since you dont travel, how about you spend a month hanging around the LA forums and see what the locals have to say about it. And I have NEVER met a person who visited Chicago proper and didnt come away saying "its a great city!" It IS a great city with lots of faults, just like the others. If youre too blind to see that, I cant help that.

Besides weather, what does LA offer that Chicago doesnt?

Plus, Ive never said poverty WASNT an issue in Chicago, I said I cant see it all the time (other than the news) because I cant nor wont go into those neighborhoods, would you? All you want to do is come on this site and start trouble, its obviously!

And trust me, if I could afford to be super rich and own a beach front mansion in LA and not have to be in a crime-ridden neighborhood I would! BUT, Id also like to own a place at Trumps new building, high up on the 75th floor (which wouldnt mix with my fear of heights, but I can deal with it) overlooking Michigan Ave, the river and the beautiful skyline and be next to everything, thats what I like. I cant have that in LA, their downtown is boring as a lecture on the growth of mold. But in the real world, the only way to seperate yourself from LAs problems is to live high up in the hills in a gated community, which for the 99% of the world is UNOBTAINABLE. Get realistic here. LA is a dream place for the rich and famous, for the rest of us its getting stuck in a iffy neighborhood and paying out the wazoo for a tiny shoebox, no thanks.

Last edited by Steve-o; 01-22-2007 at 02:52 PM..

Old 01-22-2007, 02:43 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,615,586 times
Hi there Chicago,I just wanted to say I am from Oregon.We LOVE Chicago and we and many other Oregonians have visited and CHOOSE to visit again,,I like it much more then NYC or LA....I guess different strokes,but Hey,,you are sounding a bitty bit jealous.Enjoy your downstate life,,,live and and live..The guy is defending his city-what do you care what he posts to new comers? Turns your stomach???WHOA ,that a bit too serious dude..Thats all I wanted to say,, Be

Old 01-22-2007, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frizbe View Post
Hi there Chicago,I just wanted to say I am from Oregon.We LOVE Chicago and we and many other Oregonians have visited and CHOOSE to visit again,,I like it much more then NYC or LA....I guess different strokes,but Hey,,you are sounding a bitty bit jealous.Enjoy your downstate life,,,live and and live..The guy is defending his city-what do you care what he posts to new comers? Turns your stomach???WHOA ,that a bit too serious dude..Thats all I wanted to say,, Be
THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!! Like I said, Ive NEVER met someone who came here and didnt like it. Its a world class city that has lots of crime in areas, sure! What large city doesnt? Chicago has been a haven for gangsters since the roaring 20's, and its sad. But still seeing that it attracts 10s of millions of visitors every year speaks volumes about the city. Actually, there are quite a few posts on the Illinois boards from people who visited Chicago and then popped in here just to say how much they liked it!

Old 01-22-2007, 02:55 PM

But how can you make any huge generalized opinion about any of the places you bash?! And I'm sorry. Anyone that reads this, that has anykind of common sense, is going to understand that not everyone looks at Chicago as the almighty source of anything hip, happening, or in style. People aren't rude like you, and are probably not going to say something negative about the city in front of a local. You are trully ignorant if you are going to say that out of the MILLIONS that come there ever year, not one of them doesn't like Chicago!!! I have one for you, my wife! If this is the way of thinking of the person I have been trying to convince, then I'm done, because it is not worth my time. If you are going to put it that way, I have NEVER heard anyone ever bash the Twin Cities. Of course they aren't going to make me feel bad!! Once again, move away from Chicago for awhile and then you can honestly make a good assumption. You said that you don't make that much a year. Come downstate for awhile. You won't be able to afford Peoria, B-N, or C-U, but maybe an Olney(southwest) would be a definite wake up call for you. I think you are just scared that you might like it. Dixon and Oregon are not the best examples of the true Illinois way of life. Once you make it past I-80 maybe then we can talk, but untill then I think I speak for everyone when we say that you haven't experienced the world enough to go on and on and on like you do. Go down to Marion. Then the Garden of the Gods is right in your backyard(well sort of) AND ONCE AGAIN, YOU ARE PUTTING CLAIM TO A CITY YOU DON'T EVEN LIVE IN!!! I'm just going to spend the rest of my time in the Indy forum, just because I lived there for about seven years. If there are more of you up there with this kind of mentallity, I can honestly see now why the crime, and poverty ratio is off the charts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago