Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 07:42 PM

2 posts, read 11,190 times

Advertisements

Im planning on moving to Chicago around Sept. I've never been there but all I hear is positive things about the city. Im just wondering if going from Atlanta(City) not burbs to Chicago would be that big of a culture shock. I would also like to spend about $750 rent. Are there any locations that come to mind, I'm 21 and have lived in bad areas but of course do not perfer them. Any suggestions would help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2007, 07:40 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,379,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Organika1 View Post
Im planning on moving to Chicago around Sept. I've never been there but all I hear is positive things about the city. Im just wondering if going from Atlanta(City) not burbs to Chicago would be that big of a culture shock. I would also like to spend about $750 rent. Are there any locations that come to mind, I'm 21 and have lived in bad areas but of course do not perfer them. Any suggestions would help.
Finding something that cheap in Chicago will probably net you someplace not-so-desirable. How far are you willing to travel to work? Do you own a car? Do you like lots and lots and lots of traffic? Where will you be working, downtown, burbs, where? Knowing these things will help narrow down your search. Let us know...

Old 01-26-2007, 06:11 PM

1,043 posts, read 3,719,096 times
If you can spend a little more money, you might be able to find a decent one bedroom on the North side of Chicago. Areas like Rogers Park or Peterson Park might have what you are looking for. They are okay areas and rents are more affordable there. A lot of single people live there who can't afford more upscale neighborhoods. Uptown isn't so bad anymore either as there has been a lot of gentrification in the area with rents still being somewhat affordable.

Personally, I don't think you'll have much of a culture shock if at all as Atlanta is a big city also.

Old 04-26-2007, 02:05 AM

2 posts, read 6,039 times
Lightbulb It's different

So, IT chick is right about the Rogers Park area..stay in West Rogers Park if at all possible, versus east. I lived in Atlanta for four years (Buckhead, Chastain & Midtown) and recently opened a business in Chicago. I can tell you that there are major differences between the two cities...also, check out Wicker Park. If you enjoy Midtown Atlanta, Wicker Park would be right down your alley. The $750 might be difficult..but not impossible...also, Bucktown-Logan Square if you are totally desperate.
The area known as East Rogers Park reminds me of the area off of 20 West in Atlanta (75 South to 20 West).
In the end? Try to remember that Chicago is NOT Atlanta...the only thing that is similar about the two cities, is that they both have a lot of people living there. Oh and I loved Atlanta...but there is no comparison-Chicago, hands down. Prepare yourself for the level of noise (it's LOUD here) though. Also. The rental market is starting to pick up all over the city...keep watching rents in Lakeview (particularly West Lakeview)...you may find something there. Good Luck with your search.

Old 04-26-2007, 01:40 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Actually $750/mo is not that unreasonable if you're willing to live in a studio or a garden apartment in places like Bucktown, Wicker Park, Logan Square -- pretty much anywhere along the Blue Line between Wicker Park and Irving Park (inclusive), or Albany Park, or maybe even Bridgeport on the South Side. And these aren't bad areas. Don't expect to buy into Lakeview or Lincoln Park for $750 though.

Old 05-01-2007, 07:25 PM

413 posts, read 2,560,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Organika1 View Post
Not really a big culture shock. Both are big cities. Both have their traffic, stress, shopping, sports venues, big businesses what not.

Big shock - weather. You'll love the summer but think long and hard about what a few months with 15-20F average weather is like. We got -12F couple days this past winter, the wind is brutal. Leaves are off trees from November to end of April. Winter is rough and depressing there. Summer is great of course.

Old 05-01-2007, 08:59 PM

62 posts, read 213,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallstreet1986 View Post
Big shock - weather. You'll love the summer but think long and hard about what a few months with 15-20F average weather is like. We got -12F couple days this past winter, the wind is brutal. Leaves are off trees from November to end of April. Winter is rough and depressing there. Summer is great of course.
However, the summer is so much more enjoyable after a long, depressing winter!!

Old 05-01-2007, 09:10 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,086,496 times
I'm paying less than 750 for a one bedroom apartment just south of wicker park. It can be done if you search (but it was a search on my part).

Old 05-01-2007, 09:10 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,379,844 times
I would hardly call the winters "depressing". Depressing how? That people let 1/2 the cloudy days ruin their precious little lives? Depressing that people dont want to go outside if its cold out? Its called CLOTHING, and you can layer it to become as comfortable as you want. Buy some cross country skies, a sled, etc. Take a stroll under the Christmas lights, sipping hot chocolate. Take the kids sledding (if youre a parent), its a blast. Jump in the car and take a late night ski trip to WI or northern IL, nothing beats a starry winter night, hitting the slopes with only the sound of the wind and the snow beneath your skis. Buy some ice skates and hit up a pond or Millenium Park. For Petes sake people, winter is only depressing if you let it be. I can only imagine if people from Colorado had the same attitude about winter as Chicagoans. Theyd all be sitting inside, getting fat and whining about the snow, all the while looking out the window towards those beautiful peaks.

Old 05-01-2007, 10:02 PM

413 posts, read 2,560,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
I would hardly call the winters "depressing". Depressing how? That people let 1/2 the cloudy days ruin their precious little lives? Depressing that people dont want to go outside if its cold out? Its called CLOTHING, and you can layer it to become as comfortable as you want. Buy some cross country skies, a sled, etc. Take a stroll under the Christmas lights, sipping hot chocolate. Take the kids sledding (if youre a parent), its a blast. Jump in the car and take a late night ski trip to WI or northern IL, nothing beats a starry winter night, hitting the slopes with only the sound of the wind and the snow beneath your skis. Buy some ice skates and hit up a pond or Millenium Park. For Petes sake people, winter is only depressing if you let it be. I can only imagine if people from Colorado had the same attitude about winter as Chicagoans. Theyd all be sitting inside, getting fat and whining about the snow, all the while looking out the window towards those beautiful peaks.
People in Colorado can go skiing on real mountains, have much prettier environment with all that stuff there, more winter sunny days, much less harsh on usual winter, more pine trees and less damn ugly deciduous trees. All you have in Chicago if you dont have $$ to take ski trips on the weekend to Northern Wisconsin is dead trees, strip malls, and concrete to look at. Not many pine trees at all. I would hardly compare Colorado in winter to the ugly Chicagoland prairie. I don't live in the city either so I guess you could go to the much overpraised modernist Millenium Park. Sledding?? what hills - yeah 30 foot bunny hill. In Colorado its not as cold and harsh winter - its not whining when its 10 degrees outside and big wind. It just plain sucks makes it a chore going out and you dont want to.

As for clothing, being thin I shiver like hell if I dont put on long underwear, undershirt, sweater, plus jacket hat et al. That part sucks too and is a chore. Winter up there isnt for all and i think its part of what sucks there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago