Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 09:14 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,104,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by via chicago View Post
There was an article in the Reader recently that suggested the Trib was looking at using The Guardian as part of their inspiration for the redesign
Chicago Reader | Hot Type | Guardianlike?: If staffers get their way, a redesigned Trib might end up with a European feel.

I remain very nervous though, because I have a feeling it will end up less like the Guardian and a lot more like USA Today (in other words, RedEye with a price tag)
Yeah, I think the RedEye with a price tag will be the more likely result. The former editor-in-chief of the Trib was on Chicago Tonight a few days ago (she recently resigned). The interview didn't give one much confidence in the Trib maintaining anywhere near the reporting standard they'd had in the past.

What a sad day it will be in Chicago when you have to choose the Sun-Times for the paper that screams at you less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2008, 10:00 AM

732 posts, read 2,981,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
The Onion.
Dang it! I was going to say the same thing!

Old 07-30-2008, 10:22 AM

774 posts, read 2,496,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
Yeah, I think the RedEye with a price tag will be the more likely result. The former editor-in-chief of the Trib was on Chicago Tonight a few days ago (she recently resigned). The interview didn't give one much confidence in the Trib maintaining anywhere near the reporting standard they'd had in the past.

What a sad day it will be in Chicago when you have to choose the Sun-Times for the paper that screams at you less.
So true. I understand the economics of the newspaper industry are dire, but there are essentially three papers in this country that have long-term stability: The Wall Street Journal, New York Times, and USA Today. Unfortunately, when papers do an overhaul, they go the USA Today route of slimmer papers and more graphics as opposed to putting more investment in in-depth reporting like the Journal and the Times. This happens despite the fact that advertisers pay a whole lot more to reach readers of the Journal and the Times compared to USA Today since - guess what - more educated and affluent people actually like reading papers that don't look like People magazine. I'm a Tribune subscriber that's very worried about what it might become in the near future. I wish that publishers would realize that it's quality journalism that people will pay for because that's a truly a unique product - anyone can put out fluff that appeals to the lowest common denominator. If you aim low, you shouldn't be shocked if your returns are low.

Old 07-30-2008, 12:43 PM

904 posts, read 2,872,550 times
Frank - couldn't agree more. NYT, WSJ and WaPo are the only decent, stable papers left. It's sad, because there's an entire second-tier of good local papers (with solid national and international coverage), like the Trib and the LAT, that are all falling over themselves to turn into USA Today. It doesn't make any sense to me, and it just seems like a totally lazy "solution." People who read newspapers want news, and people who read People want fluff, and turning newspapers into People is just gonna drive away the former without engaging the latter. It sucks.

As to the original question, I'd say it's a tie between the Trib and the Reader. The Trib is a solid paper with a good mix of local, national and international coverage. The Reader cover some more overlooked stuff and is one of the better alternative weeklies in the country, IMO. I do agree with Drover that it can be somewhat smug, but that's to be expected of alternative weeklies.

Old 07-30-2008, 01:17 PM

2,329 posts, read 6,632,762 times
Murdoch is doing everything in his power to destroy the WSJ too..which makes you stand back and scratch your head since you have to consider it was one of the few successful newspapers in the country. Sure it catered to a niche market, but when you alienate your niche then who the hell do you have left?!

Old 07-30-2008, 02:13 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,784,652 times
I'm tired of the media just assuming we're all morons. Everything is just sliding downhill to satisfy people who don't read or watch the news anyway. And most TV news programing is so stupid that it's completely unwatchable now. Shows like 20/20 and Dateline used to be a bit more like 60 Minutes with segments dedicated to investigative reporting, and now they just recount murder mysteries and bust sex offenders. And don't even get me started on the cable news broadcasts...

Old 07-30-2008, 02:21 PM

2,329 posts, read 6,632,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
I'm tired of the media just assuming we're all morons. Everything is just sliding downhill to satisfy people who don't read or watch the news anyway. And most TV news programing is so stupid that it's completely unwatchable now. Shows like 20/20 and Dateline used to be a bit more like 60 Minutes with segments dedicated to investigative reporting, and now they just recount murder mysteries and bust sex offenders. And don't even get me started on the cable news broadcasts...
Thats why I pretty much stick to public TV. Chicago Tonight for local news, News Hour w/ Jim Lehrer for national, and Frontline for investigative stories.

Old 07-30-2008, 02:41 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,784,652 times
Quote:
Thats why I pretty much stick to public TV. Chicago Tonight for local news, News Hour w/ Jim Lehrer for national, and Frontline for investigative stories.
The "CNN Presents" series has been good at times. They just had one called "Black in America" that was pretty interesting.

Old 07-30-2008, 05:46 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,747,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
The Tribune has a slight Republican lean and the Sun-Times a Liberal view.

The Sun-Times is socially liberal but economically conservative. Social liberalism is cheap and easy, it doesn't cost the boss any money and nobody sets the Pinkertons and cops loose on social liberals.

Old 07-30-2008, 06:47 PM

904 posts, read 2,872,550 times
Quote:
Word. I had to watch a local news broadcast the other day and I forgot how ridiculous it is. National and cable, too - all TV news, aside from PBS, is such a joke.

And you forgot about Charlie Rose! He's mah boy, yo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: