U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 10:18 AM

7,321 posts, read 14,775,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramo Nash View Post
Being ultra-defensive and putting words from others in my mouth, because I said something slightly negative about chicago exemplifies the second city mentality. Why else would you care what some elitist snob from the northeast thinks?
Well, at the time it was because you were attacking not the weather or the gov't, but the people. Rubbed me the wrong way (especially since it's dubious that you ever scratched the surface of the millions of people that make up the city...) However, over time, you've sold me. I don't care!

Well played, sir.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 10:21 AM

12,063 posts, read 30,379,379 times
I think what annoys me about the second city comment is that it somehow implies we're all stuck here, so we have to make it sounds better because we have no choice.

In reality, since Chicago (like New York) has many transplants from all over the country, most people (specifically the college-educated upwardly mobile crowd the OP is likely to live near and congregate with), us transplants chose to move here instead of places like Boston, LA, New York or somewhere else entirely.

I have friends and acquaintances from college spread out across this country (heck the world - I have friends in Taiwan, Cambodia, London and New Zealand just off the top of my head) In my field, I can find work in nearly any medium to large sized city.

In the end, I chose Chicago, and I couldn't be happier with my decision. It was an educated one, but it also took a leap of faith to leave everything I had known before. In fact, my original plan had been to move to either Boston or New York, but changed my mind for a variety of reasons, key of which was cost of living, which would allow me to live in a safe, vibrant and walkable neighborhood.

Will I stay here forever? It's hard to say; I might. I can say that i will stay here until I don't want to anymore. perhaps the winters will grow too tiring for me (though at present I don't find them too awful) or perhaps something else entirely with sour my opinion of this pace. At that point, I'll do just what the OP is planning - to research new areas and to begin again.

I'm not naive enough to think that Chicago could make everyone as happy as it has made me. Nor am I naive enough to suggest that Chicago is the perfect city (or even the best city) but it's perfect for me right now, and from everything the OP has said, I think he/she would enjoy Chicago as much as me.

Old 07-31-2008, 10:26 AM

7,321 posts, read 14,775,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
I think what annoys me about the second city comment is that it somehow implies we're all stuck here, so we have to make it sounds better because we have no choice.

In reality, since Chicago (like New York) has many transplants from all over the country, most people (specifically the college-educated upwardly mobile crowd the OP is likely to live near and congregate with), us transplants chose to move here instead of places like Boston, LA, New York or somewhere else entirely.

I have friends and acquaintances from college spread out across this country (heck the world - I have friends in Taiwan, Cambodia, London and New Zealand just off the top of my head) In my field, I can find work in nearly any medium to large sized city.

In the end, I chose Chicago, and I couldn't be happier with my decision. It was an educated one, but it also took a leap of faith to leave everything I had known before. In fact, my original plan had been to move to either Boston or New York, but changed my mind for a variety of reasons, key of which was cost of living, which would allow me to live in a safe, vibrant and walkable neighborhood.

Will I stay here forever? It's hard to say; I might. I can say that i will stay here until I don't want to anymore. perhaps the winters will grow too tiring for me (though at present I don't find them too awful) or perhaps something else entirely with sour my opinion of this pace. At that point, I'll do just what the OP is planning - to research new areas and to begin again.

I'm not naive enough to think that Chicago could make everyone as happy as it has made me. Nor am I naive enough to suggest that Chicago is the perfect city (or even the best city) but it's perfect for me right now, and from everything the OP has said, I think he/she would enjoy Chicago as much as me.
Hear, hear! As my handle indicates, I am from neither Chicago nor the Midwest. I have a brother who moved to NYC when I moved to Chicago. He likes it there. I like it here. We visit one another frequently, and rarely, if ever, get into a "my city's better than your city" fracas.

He, however, is looking to get transferred to Chicago. For what it's worth.

Old 07-31-2008, 12:43 PM

5,918 posts, read 12,408,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
Name the twenty, pally-o. Steve-O might come after you, but he's our pit bull and we have a soft spot for the ol' homer. Florida's beaches ARE better than Chicago's! There! I said it!
Here's the thing.

You can't (for example) though you can't compare Chicagos beaches to Floridas because your comparing apples and bananas.

Chicago is a city (big although still small compared to a whole state) Floridas a large state. The better comparison would be Floridas beaches to LAKE MICHIGANs beaches (inclding beautiful and a must see destination like Door County or Indiana Dunes/West Michigan/harbor country).

Door County and West Michigan are our versions of Cape Cod, Point Reyes outside San Fran, Jerey Shore, etc. etc.

Of course Chicago does not have outstanding natural attractions within its city limits, its a city.

But theres few places in the south or the northeast that aren't comparably beautiful and scenic within four hours of Chicago.

People have compared Wisconsins driftless area/Baraboo hills (which does extend into NW corner of Illinois as looking like Vermont or Massachusetts. I've even heard the same about the Rock River Valley/Oregon, IL/Castle Rock.

Old 07-31-2008, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
DC - well, those people would be idiots, of course Florida's beaches are better than Chicago's beaches. Why do you think so many people from Chicago go there and sit on them. Oh, and Colorado's mountains are better than that one hill we've got over down in Beverly ... and I can't even get a damn lobster roll here in this fair town.

The point is this, yes, the city has plenty of faults, I could list them all day (starting with Daley and working my way down), but it isn't about that, nobody likes to be dismissed as worthless, uninteresting, and dull, simply for living in a city, and that is all I'm saying.
Anyone who is comparing natural beauty in Chicago city limits compared to some other whole state is silly.

But like I said in my last post there is lots to see within 3-4 hours of Chicago. Kettle Moraine, Devils Lake, Door County, other Wisconsin places just as beautiful as anything in New England. The quaint towns are nice too. Fresh fish from Lake Michigan good too. Just don't feed too many of them to your young children or your pregnant wife.

Also Daley (father and son) is CRUCIAL for making Chicago the destination it is. Face it, without the political machine Chicago would be much less impressive and beautiful. Not much was done under the mayors in between.

Old 07-31-2008, 12:52 PM

Quote:
DC's Finest wrote:
Noted.

I should mention, for the record, that the VAST majority of what I post on this board is written with a smile. I'm rarely very serious and I'm certainly not losing any sleep over it.

Still, the Chicago set can be a little defensive from time to time. A tad adversarial. I guess Chicagoans figure that they soldier through the winters and pay the stupid parking tickets and deal with Daley, so they've earned the right to gripe. While ol' Ramo's an exception, a lot of the detractors know nothing of what they speak, and that draws the ire of the frostbite-tempered, mustachioed masses. (Since we all look like George Wendt and Chris Farley from SuperFans."
A lot more of us would look like the Superfans if it wasn't for Daley because Chicago would be less attractive to well-educated transplants.

And thank goodness for University of Chicago/Hyde Park. Its isolated from the rest of the destination neighborhoods but has played a much bigger role in turning Chicago world class than the trixies and jocks of Lincoln Park and Lakeview.

Old 07-31-2008, 12:58 PM

20,004 posts, read 74,901,130 times
Quote:
Name the twenty, pally-o. Steve-O might come after you, but he's our pit bull and we have a soft spot for the ol' homer. Florida's beaches ARE better than Chicago's! There! I said it!
Well, Id never admit that Chicago's beaches are better than Florida's, because, well, theyre not. Not now not ever. Never, ever, ever.

Old 07-31-2008, 01:12 PM

20,004 posts, read 74,901,130 times
Some areas in Chicagoland and outside Chicagoland:

Yes, thats cacti:

Ever been to a savannah? With sand dunes? Cacti? In the Chicagoland area?

Wildlife buffs will also find many interesting Chicagoland critters:

More Chicagoland pics...

I could show a quintillion photos of Chicagoland, there is sooooo much to do, and most of the area is wonderful, safe, clean, etc. Ive lived here for over 30 years and have not even come remotely close to scratching the surface, put it that way. And besides, the cars, chicks, food, nightlife, arts, schools, etc, are truly world class.

Old 07-31-2008, 01:33 PM

3 posts, read 4,957 times
i hate the winter here

Old 07-31-2008, 02:18 PM

102 posts, read 365,964 times
Wow this thread got pretty off topic. I thought I'd just temper some of my original statements a little with the acknowledgment that almost all of the things that I dislike about Chicago could be HUGE positives to others.

-- It's hugely un-snobby and overall pretty unpretentious. The people aren't very quick to judge others based on where they went to school, for example.

-- Chicago definitely has that "honest, good people" vibe. It's just that I honestly prefer being around sarcastic bitter aholes (maybe slight exaggeration) who can appreciate the ridiculousness of the world we live in. I find a larger majority of the people in chicago to be sort of happy folk. Not happy go lucky, per se, but more "let's just go have some beers and have fun!" I don't find the kind of intense intellectual/critical vibe to be as strong here--it definitely exists though.

--Chicago has huge amounts of ethnic diversity compared to boston, which is a positive no matter how you look at it. Decent ethnic food of almost any type can be found here and there are often extensive neighborhoods with accompanying stores, etc.. For example, Devon Ave (Indian/Pakistani), Argyle (Vietnamese), Koreatown, Logan Square (Puerto Rican and Mexican).

-- It can be very easy to live here and parts of Chicago have an almost suburban feel in that regard--big box stores with parking lots, lots of shopping, chain stores everywhere, etc... Not that this isn't happening over the whole planet right now, though.

In summary, I'd say there is plenty to do here and if the "vibe" of the place feels right to you, you'll probably love it here. It sounds like you're pretty sick of boston, which is true of lots of people (especially people without roots there).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago