Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 08:14 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,611,075 times

Advertisements

The one thing I found very inaccurate about your post is that you said it's impossible to go from east to west on the North side without a car.

I suppose if one limits oneself to the el then yes, it's difficult to do, but there are buses out the wa-zoo in this city.

Last weekend I was going from Wicker Park northeast to Lakeview.

I hopped on the North Avenue bus (one comes every like 5 minutes!) and headed east to the Red line stop at Clybourn. Hopped on the red line (which comes like every 5 minutes most of the day) and headed north. Got off at my stop, walked a block and I was there!

For $2 and about a 20 minute ride, it was great. If I had driven, it would have taken me nearly as long and I would have had to find a parking spot and I would have had to drive home instead of partying to my heart's content.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 08:26 AM

7,330 posts, read 15,380,121 times
To quote one of the greatest(?) one-hit wonders of the '90s, "If you're bored, then you're boring."

I'll throw my cow-turd-covered straw hat into the ring as well, as I found it hard to get passed the condescension of your post, Ramo. I've gotta say... if that's the attitude with which you approached life in Chicago, I've little doubt that you were met with blank stares from uninteresting people. All the interesting people had you pegged as an elitist as soon as you started mouthing off. Smarmy self-satisfaction doesn't tend to fly in Chicago...

Signed,

Yet another cheesed-off yokel.

Old 07-31-2008, 08:33 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,152,962 times
Why do Chicagoans get upset when someone says something unflaterring about their city? I have been to Chicago many times and I think its a great place but I don't feel the same way that many of you might feel about your city. Does that make my opinion fradulent? This person has lived in the city for 7 years and coming from the east coast, they are offering the OP some insight.

Old 07-31-2008, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Why do Chicagoans get upset when someone says something unflaterring about their city? I have been to Chicago many times and I think its a great place but I don't feel the same way that many of you might feel about your city. Does that make my opinion fradulent? This person has lived in the city for 7 years and coming from the east coast, they are offering the OP some insight.
To quote another great musician, "'T'ain't what you do, it's the way that you do it."

Old 07-31-2008, 08:38 AM

True, but I see this type of response on every other post, where someone says something unflattering about Chicago. [mod cut] It gives a perception that there is an inferiority complex. At first, I thought it was BS, but now I don't know. Jesus.

Last edited by aragx6; 07-31-2008 at 09:03 AM.. Reason: no reason for that, can be construed as a personal attack imo

Old 07-31-2008, 08:41 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,082,651 times
Quote:
Like I said, there are plenty of unflattering things one could right about chicago that are true, and most posters are not faulting that. It is very simple, the poster in question dismissed the entire city's population as a bunch of dull, boring, hicks in a 'flyover state', THAT is what is being taken issue with. I'm sure that as a DC resident, you are well aware of the faults of the city, but if I swung by the DC board and dismissed the entire DC population in the most unflattering terms I could think of, you'd probably find it a bit obnoxious too (even if there were truth to my other observations).

It isn't if the poster came through and said, "Chicago is cold, flat, spread out, and there aren't many interesting cities around to visit' (all of which is quite true in my opinion, and quite frankly part of what I don't like about the place) and people jumped down his throat, if that were the case, I'd actually be defending this yokel's observations, however, that isn't what he said at all. If you can't see the difference, I pity your reading comprehension skills.

Old 07-31-2008, 08:46 AM

102 posts, read 376,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
Ramo - I don't think that 'not liking Chicago' is the problem. There are loads of people who don't like chicago, and for many good reasons. What I do think is the problem is how willing you are to dismiss the entire population as dull, uninteresting, hicks. Quite frankly, that is where you lost me and I quit actually taking your post as a serious post by someone who moved here and found it didn't quite fit what they were looking for and started to read it through much less forgiving eyes. Oh, and you'll never make any friends, or get people to take you seriously if you start talking about 'flyover states', period, end of story.
I never said "everyone" is chicago is a hick, just I find the people less interesting overall. Seems like people are exemplifying that "second city" defensiveness and creating a straw man. True that the threadstarter might find my post 100% useless, but it would have helped me immensely and that's why I wrote it the way I did. The point is it's not that I "found [chicago] didn't quite fit." I dislike it and I know other NE transplants who feel the same way, so I see no big issue expressing my opinion.

I have plenty of friends, so I don't really know what that last comment was about.

Quote:
True, but I see this type of response on every other post, where someone says something unflattering about Chicago. Steve O is the worst. It gives a perception that there is an inferiority complex. At first, I thought it was BS, but now I don't know. Jesus.
That may be the case on other threads, but it seems like the reason we are a little bent out of shape, "here and now" (another song reference. I'm so uninteresting that I can't even form a sentence that doesn't reference pop music...), is that we're directly reacting to a tone that we consider an affront.

I, like j33, have plenty of gripes about the city. There are ways to say them, however, that doesn't paint 3 million people with a broad brush.

Hey J,

Got to the DC board and see all of the unflaterring things said about the city. So what! Chicago is a great place. You know it and I know it. There are some people that will never like Chicago for whatever reason. That's there hang up. This thread was hi jacked after everyone started to attack Ramo. It's obvious that this person does not like Chicago. I'll give you another example of what I mean. I can make a statement that Florida's beaches are better than Chicago's beaches. It's my opinion. Twenty people will come out to attack me. For what?

Old 07-31-2008, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Hey J,

Got to the DC board and see all of the unflaterring things said about the city. So what! Chicago is a great place. You know it and I know it. There are some people that will never like Chicago for whatever reason. That's there hang up. This thread was hi jacked after everyone started to attack Ramo. It's obvious that this person does not like Chicago. I'll give you another example of what I mean. I can make a statement that Florida's beaches are better than Chicago's beaches. It's my opinion. Twenty people will come out to attack me. For what?
Name the twenty, pally-o. Steve-O might come after you, but he's our pit bull and we have a soft spot for the ol' homer. Florida's beaches ARE better than Chicago's! There! I said it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago